Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to default Eco mode to off? I have to push the Eco button to turn it off every time I turn the Jeep on. Eco makes it drive like crap and doesn't even shave much fuel economy. Please tell me there is a way to default it to off. Could not find anything in the manual or the settings screen...

·
Registered
158 Posts
You probably can't do it unless someone comes up with a flash for the car. The car defaults that way because they probably EPA tested it with Eco mode on to get a better milage rating, and to advertise that milage they have to have the car start up in that mode.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was doing the Build and Price thing on jeep.com today and started with a 2014 Limited V6. When I added the Tow package a little popup window said something to the effect that adding the Tow package would result in removing the Eco Mode.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I was doing the Build and Price thing on jeep.com today and started with a 2014 Limited V6. When I added the Tow package a little popup window said something to the effect that adding the Tow package would result in removing the Eco Mode.
Lol that's weird. The Overland V6 I drove today that clearly had a hitch in the back had Eco Mode.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Lol yah that could be a mistake they made check again and tell us. :lol: The Eco Mode is standerd you can't take it out.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
Lol yah that could be a mistake they made check again and tell us. :lol: The Eco Mode is standerd you can't take it out.
Isn't removing Eco-Mode the equivalent of removing the rear tow hook? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I hope the Hemi lets you default ECO to off...

·
Registered
393 Posts

Just checked again. Limited 4x2 . Under packages I selected the Trailer Tow Group IV. Window pops up and says:

You have selected Trailer Tow Group IV, which requires the removal of Eco Mode.

• The total price of this vehicle will increase by $795
  • Help me understand thisClose

·
The Negotiator
5,349 Posts
There are errors on the Jeep.com building & Pricing. Go look at an Overland that comes standard with the ECO button. Why would a limited be the only model to have that deleted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I doubt they will allow it to default off on any model. If they did that they would have to test the vehicle for fuel economy in the "non eco" mode and have a different MPG for that model. I know it makes more sense for it to stay in the mode it was when the car was turned off, but they need it to default in ECO to make the MPG claims they are making.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I certainly understand why some folks here want the system to default to non-eco mode when you shut it down that way. But good god, it only takes the push of one button to change it. Remember when we had to get out of the vehicle to lock in the front hubs? How freakin' lazy are we becoming?

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
I certainly understand why some folks here want the system to default to non-eco mode when you shut it down that way. But good god, it only takes the push of one button to change it. Remember when we had to get out of the vehicle to lock in the front hubs? How freakin' lazy are we becoming?

Do we really have to press a button? Maybe we can just tell it to shut off. :lol:

Oh, wait, we have to press a button to talk to it. :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
It is a convenience just like power windows, power locks, automatic climate control etc. My other vehicle (an Audi) has a similar system where you can adjust the car into Auto or Dynamic mode, with Dynamic providing max acceleration and auto being the more econimical. The car defaults into auto every time, there is a way to program the car to stay in whatever you left it in but you have to buy a device to program this...the dealer will not do it for you.
Hopefully someone figures out how to do this with the Jeep.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are errors on the Jeep.com building & Pricing. Go look at an Overland that comes standard with the ECO button. Why would a limited be the only model to have that deleted.

Yeh, I'm not arguing either way....just reporting what the Build and Price says. You know, kind of a "I report, you decide" thing.

Probably a mistake on the web site or I guess it could be possible that activating the tow package in the firmware could disable the eco mode even though the button is still there. Anyway, saw the topic and though I'd mention the little window that popped up. Maybe I'll find out in a couple of months if I decide to order.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Agree absolutely, life must be good when you complain that your car defaults to a money saving eco mode!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
True that, but you may have locked the hubs once a month. It sounds like (i don't own one yet) the shifting in ECO mode is impractical for city driving (i don't know). So turning off a switch each time you get in your Jeep is a pain.

Suppose if you left your radio station on 96.5FM classic rock, but every time you turned your Jeep on it went to 90.2 NPR...some might not like that, but it's only a "button" away.

I want to be able to push the button when I know I'll be driving on flat roads, not turn it off to drive up my steep drive way....because I live in my Jeep DOWN by the river:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I'm thinkin', since you already have your hand on the shift lever, why not bump it into sport mode. Saves the hassle of pushing a button, and increases performance beyond eco or non-eco mode. When I test drove an Overland the sport mode was my preferred selection.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
For those old enough to remember HAL saying "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." (2001: A Space Odyssey) That's what happens when you take all the buttons away.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
For those old enough to remember HAL saying "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." (2001: A Space Odyssey) That's what happens when you take all the buttons away.
At startup on my old desktop Hal lets me know it's working. "I'm completely operational and all of my systems are functioning perfectly"

Unfortunately, sometimes he lies. :lol:

---

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
At startup on my old desktop Hal lets me know it's working. "I'm completely operational and all of my systems are functioning perfectly"

Unfortunately, sometimes he lies. :lol:

---
Now I'm in tears laughing!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts