Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a WK2 with an odd issue. Drove home from work the other day, zero problems. Turn Jeep off, go into house, come back out maybe 10 minutes later and the electronics basically went ballistic: 1. The tire pressure system warning came on, all 4 tires not displaying data, 2. Service Shifter warning, 3. Engine Light, 4. Auto Park Disengaged Warning occasionally popped up, 5. Radio/NAV "rebooting" occasionally. Stopped car, pulled over immediately, opened doors, let the car "reset" for a few minutes. Car took 3 button presses to start, same problems as above. Drove it back home (drove fine, honestly) nervously. In the morning, started it up, was actually fine. Turned car off, thinking it was a fluke or the computer brain farted. Go back to the car again a few minutes later, everything above repeated (1-5).

At that point, I gave up, had my wife follow me to garage just in case it died - again, even with wacky warnings, car drove smooth. Garage on Day 1 said they saw a lot of the wacky issues when they brought it in, they turned it off, did a basic diagnostic and (it was Sunday) waited til the next day when the electrical tech came in. Now they can't get it to do any of the stuff anymore. Even after 2 days of sitting, starting, sitting, starting. Its fine. Four separate test drives. They honestly didn't fix anything. So now, the panic sets in. They are leaving it outside one more night, and checking in the morning. Note, they did see the codes in the computer for all the "failures" the car was reporting stored, but none of the systems are failing now.

Yeah, I know this is a really weird one. But going from the Jeep essentially thinking the sky is falling to it being totally fine has really weirded me out.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had something similar happen to me several years ago when I had a 1996 GC. Was on vacation and drove out to get coffee, 20 minutes later went out and it wouldn't start. Dash lights were going nuts and I could hear clicking noises under the dash. Turned out to be a shorted cell in the battery that was only 3 months old. You could have an intermittent shorting cell in your battery. Will not be able to tell until it fails. You may be able to duplicate the problem by tapping on the side of the battery while the engine is running.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
47 Posts
Could be a lot of things, sounds like a few modules are losing power. Possibly the power distribution centre (PDC), or one of the connectors on it. PDC is the fuse box in the right side of the engine bay. You could try tapping it, or lightly tugging on the wires below it while someone inside checks to see if any warning lights come on.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,095 Posts
I have a WK2 with an odd issue. Drove home from work the other day, zero problems. Turn Jeep off, go into house, come back out maybe 10 minutes later and the electronics basically went ballistic: 1. The tire pressure system warning came on, all 4 tires not displaying data, 2. Service Shifter warning, 3. Engine Light, 4. Auto Park Disengaged Warning occasionally popped up, 5. Radio/NAV "rebooting" occasionally. Stopped car, pulled over immediately, opened doors, let the car "reset" for a few minutes. Car took 3 button presses to start, same problems as above. Drove it back home (drove fine, honestly) nervously. In the morning, started it up, was actually fine. Turned car off, thinking it was a fluke or the computer brain farted. Go back to the car again a few minutes later, everything above repeated (1-5).

At that point, I gave up, had my wife follow me to garage just in case it died - again, even with wacky warnings, car drove smooth. Garage on Day 1 said they saw a lot of the wacky issues when they brought it in, they turned it off, did a basic diagnostic and (it was Sunday) waited til the next day when the electrical tech came in. Now they can't get it to do any of the stuff anymore. Even after 2 days of sitting, starting, sitting, starting. Its fine. Four separate test drives. They honestly didn't fix anything. So now, the panic sets in. They are leaving it outside one more night, and checking in the morning. Note, they did see the codes in the computer for all the "failures" the car was reporting stored, but none of the systems are failing now.

Yeah, I know this is a really weird one. But going from the Jeep essentially thinking the sky is falling to it being totally fine has really weirded me out.

Had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago on my 2014 Overland. Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery causing voltage fluctuations that drove the system nuts. Dealer had to reset a number of the codes after we replaced the battery. Just disconnecting the battery didn't reset them.

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,276 Posts
You need a new battery and have them check the charging system as well.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Hi Lepactedesloups,
We can certainly understand why you may be concerned for your vehicle. Please keep us updated on your dealer's diagnosis, as we would be happy to offer our additional assistance.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
2 Posts

Try locking, then unlocking the car THREE times. Told that trick by dealer here in Australia. Had some problems with the air suspension, another time the screen wouldn't light up. Doing that lock & unlock resets five computers. All fine after that.

·
Registered
2011 overland,
4 Posts
I had this happen to me several years ago on a 2011 Overland summit and i said "it went cuckoo for coco puff" What they did to mine was some sencor in the steering wheel. Sorry, don't know the name or exactly what it was at the time it was $900. From dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need a new battery and have them check the charging system as well.
My first blush was change the battery too. If the battery hasn't been changed yet, since it's a 2014...that's six years on the battery. Most I've ever seen on a battery is seven years. Aged batteries can cause all sorts of weird things. I'm planning on changing my battery out on my 2014 WK2 Limited just to be safe. Don't want a fluky battery screwing up my electronics. My baby has been solid.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had a similar issue as well on my WK. the gages and systems indicators would go haywire all of a sudden. It is most likely something is shorting to ground. The dealer was unable to find the problem after many attempts and changing lots of expensive item under warranty. In my case the battery tested good, I even swapped on out of another vehicle to prove it out. Turned out to be the starter motor itself was shorting to ground intermittently through the windings internal to the unit. Basically the varnish or coating on the coils was breaking down allowing a small amount of voltage to pass to the case, (ground). One day the started failed. After I replaced it, the issue never happened again and it has been years since then with no issues. When I discussed this with my dealer they told me they had no way to test for something like this. I hope your problem is not this hard to find but if you are running out of ideas the starter motor can be checked for this by an auto electric repair shop if you can find on anymore, most have equipment that can test for shorted windings. If not go to a junkyard and buy one to try, this will at least save you some money. Good luck and write back when you solve this issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts