Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently went to the dealership, for service, I was told my oil filter housing assembly is leaking. The dealer quoted me $750 for parts and labor. Is this what people are seeing out there?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
I looked up the oil filter adapter for a V6 last night, I saw prices on the internet for $175 mostly and one for $204, Jacko15 linked one for you for $157, but I bet they charge ~$35 for S&H.

The labor? Him looks like 5 bolts holding it on, but looking at the pictures of the 3.6L Pentastar V6, its may require removing the intake manifold. But its a plastic intake manifold, which usually is much easier and quicker to remove and re-install. So some $600 in labor (or maybe they're charging quite a premium for the part) does sound a bit high to me.

And how bad is this oil filter adapter leaking? Its not above some of the Stealerships to tell someone they found a leak that doesn't exist to drum up some extra income.

If it was me, well I wouldn't be taking my vehicle to a dealership for an oil change to begin with, but if it was me, I would check the area myself for the leak. If I find oil, I would clean the area thoroughly to get rid of all the oil then check that area again each day and see how the oil is accumulating.

Pulling the filter will spill and drip oil, and its on the top of the engine for this engine, so spilled and dripped oil from several filter changes may be accumulating around the oil filter adapter and causing the Dealership to think its a leak, when in reality, its just the accumulation of drips and spills from past oil changes. Cleaning it up and checking it over time will tell if its a leak and how bad, or if there is no leak at all, its just accumulated spills/drips from filter changes.

And before I go to a dealership, I'd ask around of friends for a reliable honest independent garage and get a price estimate from them for changing it. I wouldn't be surprised if an honest garage would quote you hundreds less for the job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for that!

I looked up the oil filter adapter for a V6 last night, I saw prices on the internet for $175 mostly and one for $204, Jacko15 linked one for you for $157, but I bet they charge ~$35 for S&H.

The labor? Him looks like 5 bolts holding it on, but looking at the pictures of the 3.6L Pentastar V6, its may require removing the intake manifold. But its a plastic intake manifold, which usually is much easier and quicker to remove and re-install. So some $600 in labor (or maybe they're charging quite a premium for the part) does sound a bit high to me.

And how bad is this oil filter adapter leaking? Its not above some of the Stealerships to tell someone they found a leak that doesn't exist to drum up some extra income.

If it was me, well I wouldn't be taking my vehicle to a dealership for an oil change to begin with, but if it was me, I would check the area myself for the leak. If I find oil, I would clean the area thoroughly to get rid of all the oil then check that area again each day and see how the oil is accumulating.

Pulling the filter will spill and drip oil, and its on the top of the engine for this engine, so spilled and dripped oil from several filter changes may be accumulating around the oil filter adapter and causing the Dealership to think its a leak, when in reality, its just the accumulation of drips and spills from past oil changes. Cleaning it up and checking it over time will tell if its a leak and how bad, or if there is no leak at all, its just accumulated spills/drips from filter changes.

And before I go to a dealership, I'd ask around of friends for a reliable honest independent garage and get a price estimate from them for changing it. I wouldn't be surprised if an honest garage would quote you hundreds less for the job.
Yeah the labor does seem steep. In my experience second owners feel more comfortable with service records from the dealership as opposed to diy or independents. But thanks for the response.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
Thank you for that!

Yeah the labor does seem steep. In my experience second owners feel more comfortable with service records from the dealership as opposed to diy or independents. But thanks for the response.
You've got a point for service, but not repair. Dealer records are easily pulled and can be used to put in the plus column for resale, to prove the vehicle was properly serviced during its life.

But repairs? If anything, you'd prefer the 2nd buyer didn't notice it needed a repair.

Regardless, I'm not convinced you need a repair, if you're not loosing oil level or oil pressure, it may not be leaking at all. I haven't owned a 3.6L Pentastar motor, but just looking at the photos of it and its service procedures, I'm convinced that if you're not cleaning the motor regularly, you're going to have dripped oil from filter changes accumulated around the base of filter adapter.

So I suggest you get a 2nd opinion, it might save you $800. And you can easily form the 2nd opinion yourself. Clean the motor yourself and get rid of that accumulated oil, check your oil levels and pressures the next few days after, see if the accumulating oil comes back. If you can't find anything wrong with it after cleaning, I'd say the dealership mistook the accumulation of spilled oil as a leak.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This shouldn't be leaking after only three years. Clean the area and put a piece of cardboard underneath the car and see if it is actively leaking. I just had the oil filter housing gasket replaced on my 2002 Ford Expedition with 159k on the clock and a independent shop charged me 375 for everything. I know it's completely different vehicle but just using it as an example. I put cardboard underneath and was able to see that I had a small drip of oil coming out when vehicle was started up cold.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
The housing on the GC is plastic, and from what the service advisor told me, you can crack it by over-tightening the filter. Since the only one to touch mine was the dealer service department, they ate the cost of replacement. I have to say that my dealer, and their service people have been excellent in the 30+ years I've been doing business with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts