• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you very much for all the information that was sent my way in regards to grave issues that I was experiencing in regards to a simple battery change that created nothing short of chaos! What a thought was a transmission problem ended up being a $100 company reflash. I've been a jeep owner for 40 years...but the brand has lost it's luster due to the poor communication in regards to solving this problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Since I didn't see your original discussion, assuming it was posted here, could you mention what problems you experienced? I'm about to replace the battery in my 2015 GC Limited.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems that when the battery is removed from the 3.2 the computer has to be reset. Until that is done...at the dealership...the car will stall....lights will flash....can't shift gears.....and runs REALLY rough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’ve seen some OBD readers/tools advertise they do a battery service reset. I’m wondering if that’s the same thing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would doubt that. The dealership told me that had to be completed using Jeep software

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,937 Posts
This is making no sense to me. Lots of people change their batteries without any issue and with no need to visit the dealer to reset anything. Not saying things never go wrong but needing to do a dealer reset isn't SOP from what I've seen.

·
Registered
532 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, when I first started considering a new battery, I stopped in at the dealership, to ask whether or not there was a "procedure" that needed to be performed, after a battery change. According to the service manager, no.....

·
Registered
2012 JGC
225 Posts
It seems like the OP is talking about the Jeep Cherokee (the 3.2 engine reference) vs the Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could disagree with you. I've spoken to a few people who have experienced the same issue and who are equally taken aback by this maintenance issue. It seems that Ford and Fiat have the same problem.
A couple of weeks ago, when I first started considering a new battery, I stopped in at the dealership, to ask whether or not there was a "procedure" that needed to be performed, after a battery change. According to the service manager, no.....
Haaaaaa.....he lied!!
It seems like the OP is talking about the Jeep Cherokee (the 3.2 engine reference) vs the Grand Cherokee.
That's correct.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That would be the battery management reset I was referring to above. Some cars need it. And some do not.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,937 Posts
That would be the battery management reset I was referring to above. Some cars need it. And some do not.
So if my battery crapped out in the back woods and I dropped in a spare from my camp trailer my Cherokee would not run until I had it towed to the dealer? Yikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So if my battery crapped out in the back woods and I dropped in a spare from my camp trailer my Cherokee would not run until I had it towed to the dealer? Yikes.
Yes. It seems like it. It’s called a BMS(battery management system). Google it. Plenty to read up on. More and more vehicles are starting to have this system. Not sure if any Jeep vehicles have this but I know Fords do. And the battery sensor some of these vehicles use looks just like the same one attached to the battery post on my 2017 GC.
I only recently learned of all this when shopping for a OBD reader. I started Reading that the more advanced ones came with a BMS reset feature. So then I was curious as to what that is. Long story short, I bought the OBD with the reset feature. Just in case.:whistle:

Heres s good link explaining the system.

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Quadra-Drive II
45 Posts
Just to share some additional information. There is another thread active on this site, (Battery Issues), that discusses the use of a " Memory Saver" device when changing out a battery on the newer vehicles with BCM. It's designed to avoid the reset issue during the change-over, so you don't lose the radio settings, suspension settings, and BCM settings. Some people mention units that the unit connect to the cables but other ones right to the OBD diagnostic port. Essentially the unit provides a very small 12-volt battery you hooked up to the battery cables or OBD Port while you replaced the regular battery to avoid having to do a reset. (I copied a picture below of a unit that Wal-Mart sells). Most inexpensive code readers use the vehicle battery for power and do not have an internal battery, (ies), that will maintain current during a changeover. But I have seen OBD units that advertise they have the reset feature as mentioned above. Since I do not need this on my WK vintage I have not put much effort into investigating what is entailed/involved with the diagnostic tool BCM feature. Here is a copy of a link to the other thread: I hope this was helpful.

In closing, as a 30-year owner of Jeeps, I am personally disappointed in the Jeep brand for designing in and requiring this type of reset procedure. I have always used my Jeeps in recreation and go to remote locations. Having to worry about this if a battery dies while out in the field or have to carry an additional device "Just in case" when one of the goals of these trips is to pack less not more. I think this is a huge misstep on Jeep's part given what the vehicle has traditionally been branded as off-road capable. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you. Very helpful.
Just to share some additional information. There is another thread active on this site, (Battery Issues), that discusses the use of a " Memory Saver" device when changing out a battery on the newer vehicles with BCM. It's designed to avoid the reset issue during the change-over, so you don't lose the radio settings, suspension settings, and BCM settings. Some people mention units that the unit connect to the cables but other ones right to the OBD diagnostic port. Essentially the unit provides a very small 12-volt battery you hooked up to the battery cables or OBD Port while you replaced the regular battery to avoid having to do a reset. (I copied a picture below of a unit that Wal-Mart sells). Most inexpensive code readers use the vehicle battery for power and do not have an internal battery, (ies), that will maintain current during a changeover. But I have seen OBD units that advertise they have the reset feature as mentioned above. Since I do not need this on my WK vintage I have not put much effort into investigating what is entailed/involved with the diagnostic tool BCM feature. Here is a copy of a link to the other thread: I hope this was helpful.

In closing, as a 30-year owner of Jeeps, I am personally disappointed in the Jeep brand for designing in and requiring this type of reset procedure. I have always used my Jeeps in recreation and go to remote locations. Having to worry about this if a battery dies while out in the field or have to carry an additional device "Just in case" when one of the goals of these trips is to pack less not more. I think this is a huge misstep on Jeep's part given what the vehicle has traditionally been branded as off-road capable. Thanks.

Your Jeeps of 30 years ago and the ones of today are completely different. Today they are very high tech and expensive to fix.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, I bought a "memory saver" prior to changing out my battery. The good news was that most of my settings were saved, as I was disconnecting the saver, and noticed that I didn't have the 9V battery connected tightly, so it must have been making a slight, but not great connection to the car. The radio settings, except for the date and time, remained, but then again, I'm not 100% sure that I had the date in the first place, but the clock was indeed set.

The bad news, is that the battery weighs approximately 50 pounds, and it's location, in a well under the passenger seat, makes it a bit awkward to R&R. For what it's worth, I bought a Champion battery, as a replacement. I considered a NAPA battery, because it's made by East Penn Battery Co, and they have an excellent reputation in the AGM field, but it was almost twice the price of the Champion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts