Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. I have 65k miles on my 2015Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel.
I had the emissions recall fixed 2 months ago ($1475, including the 60k service), and the acceleration has been very sluggish since. A week ago, the passenger headlamp blew out, I bought replacement bulbs at O'Reilley and took it to Jeep for install ($100). A few days ago I got the message to drive at near highway speeds to purge to exhaust filter. After 4 days of driving without the message clearing, as I merged onto the freeway, I couldn't accelerate above 35mph, the check engine and transmission lights came on. The front passenger headlamp blew out again, this time melting the wiring harness. I went to the dealership. They said there are NEW RECALLS issued at the endow March and on April 3rd. There are reports of the coolant leaking into the exhaust manifold, hence the new recall. Got it all fixed 4/12. Today, 4/12, it failed the Smog test. What gives? Is having this Eco Diesel worth all this trouble? Is anyone else experiencing this. This is my 7th Jeep, first Diesel. Surely this can't be normal.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Jeep engineers can't program a diesel. Part is to blame on the strict EPA rules, but I still don't have any confidence in FCA programming even if there were no EPA involved. I believe the end is near for FCA to offer a diesel engine in a suv or half ton.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Summit EcoD
349 Posts
You failed the smog test because when the computer is updated and codes are cleared the emissions readiness codes are also cleared. You need to drive for like 100 miles after that for the readiness codes to be set again and then do the smog test.

The smog testing place should have told you this or why it failed. So either they didn’t give you all the info or you didn’t give us all the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You failed the smog test because when the computer is updated and codes are cleared the emissions readiness codes are also cleared. You need to drive for like 100 miles after that for the readiness codes to be set again and then do the smog test.

The smog testing place should have told you this or why it failed. So either they didn’t give you all the info or you didn’t give us all the info.
Thanks! The Smog mechanic did tell me to go drive for 50miles then return and try again. No, of course, it will cost $15 more for the retesting. Gotta love CA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.