Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search. Didn't find a satisfactory answer to my situation.

When I press the remote start two times on my key FOB my Jeep acts as if it is going to start. It goes through the process, tries to turn the engine over but doesn't. My battery is at 15v. Could my battery not have enough voltage to turn it over and start?
I received the following messages below. Starting the vehicle does not "reset" it.
Does anyone know what might be the cause of the remote start not working?

As far as I know, all of the following are met except the battery...
"All of the following conditions must be met before the engine will remote start:
• Battery at an acceptable charge level
• Fuel meets minimum requirement
• Shift lever in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• HAZARD switch off
• BRAKE switch inactive (brake pedal not pressed)
• RKE PANIC button not pressed
• System not disabled from previous remote start event
• Vehicle security alarm not active"

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
165 Posts
When you say your battery is at "15v", how are you getting this information? Seems high for a battery at rest (ie not being charged by the alternator and vehicle not running).

Also, are there any dash lights or symptoms when the vehicle is running? Any other odd behavior? Things like sudden loss of power and/or brake lights stuck on could be indicative of a malfunctioning brake switch. While any door/hood ajar messages would be indicative of a failed switch, regardless of whether or not those are physically shut.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk
69 Posts
I have a battery tester you could borrow 😁 voltage does not drive the battery, amperage is what does the work. You might need to test your battery under load? Let us know good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...

Jeep runs perfectly.
I obtained the 15V from the instrument panel. That is what it shows when cold and running.
Might go to AutoZone and see if they can give me appropriate reading.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gotcha. That reading is what the alternator/charging system is supplying to the battery. It's probably not a great indicator of the battery condition. As mentioned above, and in the absence of any other symptoms, I think a true load test on the battery is in order.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Need to check the voltage with ignition on but not running.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
211 Posts
Do you have any issues when you start the car normally using the start-stop switch? Does it crank slowly, or struggle to start? I'm going with the other responders that this sounds like your 12V battery is weak.

Keith

·
Registered
165 Posts
Need to check the voltage with ignition on but not running.
I agree. Honest question though......wouldn't one expect the normal push button starting procedure to also be affected in some way (ie sluggish) if there were a voltage/amperage issue with the current battery? Seems odd that the OP doesn't mention any other symptoms regarding starting normally if this were the case.

Mainly asking because I keep waiting on my battery to go bad and leave me stranded somewhere.......but the damn thing just keeps surprising me year after year and simply working as intended.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,823 Posts
I agree. Honest question though......wouldn't one expect the normal push button starting procedure to also be affected in some way (ie sluggish) if there were a voltage/amperage issue with the current battery? Seems odd that the OP doesn't mention any other symptoms regarding starting normally if this were the case.

Mainly asking because I keep waiting on my battery to go bad and leave me stranded somewhere.......but the damn thing just keeps surprising me year after year and simply working as intended.
When my remote start started to NOT work there were no obvious signs of bad battery. Vehicle started normally with the brake on and pushing the button. This, failure to remote start, went on for a month off and on. Then one day I started it as normal and could tell it was cranking a little more slowly than usual. Over the next several days it got worse and I replaced the battery. With the new battery I never had another remote start issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would agree that the batteries may very well be the problem. if those are the original batteries, they are at least 6 years old and probably at the very end of their life. I would get both batteries load tested and go from there.

·
Registered
756 Posts
When my remote start started to NOT work there were no obvious signs of bad battery. Vehicle started normally with the brake on and pushing the button. This, failure to remote start, went on for a month off and on. Then one day I started it as normal and could tell it was cranking a little more slowly than usual. Over the next several days it got worse and I replaced the battery. With the new battery I never had another remote start issue.
I had the exact same thing happen with my '14 Summit. Replaced the battery ($$$ because the Summit was a diesel) and all was well. Subsequent to that, my dealer tech told me that the remote start required a slightly higher volt/amp availability than the push button start. So now I remote start my '15 frequently, and use the remote start as an early warning feature as to the health of the battery.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Had the same problem some years ago, cause was hood switch. The hood switch is monitored during remote start to prevent an engine start while someone is in the engine area. The switch is a known failure problem. You must purchase the latch assembly as the switch is not sold by itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced the battery after about six months of Remote Start being hit or miss, A/C temperature changing to 72, and the occasional jump start. I had 192282 miles when I bothered to change it out. I went OEM as the original battery did have a long life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would agree that the batteries may very well be the problem. if those are the original batteries, they are at least 6 years old and probably at the very end of their life. I would get both batteries load tested and go from there.
I agree. Had similiar problems with remote start if I did not drive car for a while. I have 2015 GC and decided to replace battery for reliability reasons. Problem went away...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen with my '14 Summit. Replaced the battery ($$$ because the Summit was a diesel) and all was well. Subsequent to that, my dealer tech told me that the remote start required a slightly higher volt/amp availability than the push button start. So now I remote start my '15 frequently, and use the remote start as an early warning feature as to the health of the battery.
I had the same issue with my 2016 Hi Altitude ecodiesel. I brought it to the dealer, replaced fob batteries, etc. never could get the issue resolved before I got rid of it..

·
Registered
10 Posts

When I press the remote start two times on my key FOB my Jeep acts as if it is going to start. It goes through the process, tries to turn the engine over but doesn't. My battery is at 15v. Could my battery not have enough voltage to turn it over and start?
I received the following messages below. Starting the vehicle does not "reset" it.

"All of the following conditions must be met before the engine will remote start:
• Shift lever in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• HAZARD switch off

View attachment 238788
View attachment 238787
I had the same issue, 2015 overland, replaced the battery and all good now.
I went to a local auto parts store near me with my registration and installed a battery, either 800 or 850Ah, the battery that the vehicle came with was 700Ah.
So I would say to replace the battery.
Also, because I didn't know what could have happened if the vehicle was left without power, I got temporary power from my other car using jumper cables so it's like nothing ever happened. I'm an electrician and I work with live wires so I knew what I was doing and what precautions to take so I won't have an early 4th of July.
Good luck hope I helped,

·
Registered
30 Posts

• Shift lever in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• HAZARD switch off

View attachment 238788
View attachment 238787
The only thing I didn't see was that your doors are locked. They must be locked in order for remote start to work. I had to learn that myself.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,823 Posts
If unlocked my 2014 will lock the doors itself when I do a remote start.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts