Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with around 70k miles. I took it into the dealership because the radio completely failed and it turns out the radiator needed to be replaced as well (by the way, never been in an accident, which makes the radiator failure a little strange). In addition to the replacements, they did updates to the computer, part of which puts the GC in park if you forget to, as part of a recall and less than 3 weeks later, the transmission fails. Before they figured out it was the transmission, they replaced the valve body ($1300). They have now offered to cover the valve body and i would only be responsible for the transmission ($4500). As an aside, when they drained the transmission fluid, everything was clear and they couldn't find anything physically wrong with it .

Seems awfully coincidental that my transmission had this massive failure shortly after it received service/updates and was went through with a fine toothed comb. And now I've had 4 major component failures on a 5 year old car in a month. And at least 3 of the 4 (transmission, radio and radiator) are not something that usually wholesale fails on a 5 year old car without some other issue. I called Jeep Customer Care and they said that because the dealership offered me something (regardless of what that amount would have been), there is nothing they can do from a corporate perspective.

Anyone with additional knowledge that might help me figure out what is happening here? I've seen that these cars have had issues, but this seems a little crazy. After putting all this money into it, I'm trying to decide if I just cut and run or if I try and run it into the ground and hope nothing else major happens in the meantime. If I run, I don't think i can, in good conscious, get another FCA produced vehicle. Interested in others experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,387 Posts
I have no way to know if they did something they shouldn't have but the radiator needing replacement seems pretty common on these at this age and mileage. The update they did for the transmission to make it go into park isn't actually an update to the transmission but is an update to the vehicles computer system(s). I don't believe there is any way it could cause transmission problems. They replaced the transmission valve body because the transmission failed. It would not be all that unusual for a shop to not be sure if it was the valve body or something deeper inside the transmission causing a problem. A $1300 repair instead of a $4500 repair as a first attempt is not unreasonable. Since the valve body didn't fix the problem it follows that the problem was deeper. If they are crediting you the $1300 that seems fair. If it's a dealer and they are using a genuine MoPar remanufactured transmission the price sounds about right. You might be able to get a lower price from an independent shop that rebuilds them but then you'll be out the $1300. From what you posted it just sounds like you got unlucky with things breaking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Sounds like you have some experience on these. I've read that there a number of years of GCs that just aren't as well built as the older or newer ones. Anything else you've heard about that I should expect? I think one more medium sized problem and it's going to be more into it than it's worth.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,387 Posts
Thank you. Sounds like you have some experience on these. I've read that there a number of years of GCs that just aren't as well built as the older or newer ones. Anything else you've heard about that I should expect? I think one more medium sized problem and it's going to be more into it than it's worth.
Do you have the V6? The version of the 8 speed automatic used with the v6 was made by FCA under license from ZF. It seemed to have more problems then the version used with the V8 which was actually made by ZF. They are said to be very good transmissions and many other vehicle makers use them in a variety of mid and upper level lux vehicles. But when they are making them by the millions a few are going to have problems. It sucks when you are one of the few.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This does sound like a frustrating situation, badbnl1533. Please let us know if you decide to visit the dealer for this concern. Should you have any questions in the meantime, please send us a private message.

Kate
JeepCares

·
The beast from Brazil
8,263 Posts
Since i'm always interested in transmissions, did they give you the failure codes? Can you explain what exactly the transmission problem is? Not saying that i can tell you exactly what the problem is, but i can give it a change.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,129 Posts
....(by the way, never been in an accident, which makes the radiator failure a little strange)....
No, it's a common failure on the WK2, in fact most modern vehicles the radiator doesn't last the life the vehicle like the old days.....
Modern Radiators have an aluminum core/heat exchanger but plastic tanks on the side that have a gasket and clamped to the core....
The expansion/contraction causes leaks from the seam between the plastic tanks and aluminum core....
You'll see posts with lots of folks that needed to replace a radiator on this forum....

·
Registered
82 Posts
No, it's a common failure on the WK2, in fact most modern vehicles the radiator doesn't last the life the vehicle like the old days.....
Modern Radiators have an aluminum core/heat exchanger but plastic tanks on the side that have a gasket and clamped to the core....
The expansion/contraction causes leaks from the seam between the plastic tanks and aluminum core....
You'll see posts with lots of folks that needed to replace a radiator on this forum....
I’m a little surprised by the failures myself.
So if it fails it means it’s only leaking?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,129 Posts
I’m a little surprised by the failures myself.
So if it fails it means it’s only leaking?
Um, the radiator, like any equipment on a car or anywhere else, can have multiple failure modes.....

For a radiator, especially most modern vehicles with long life anti-freeze and aluminum core and plastic tank radiator the most common mode of failure is it starts leaking.....
Your radiator could clog and restrict flow....
Your radiator could burst....
Your radiator could have air channels clogged with dirt or cooling fins bent over stopping airflow....
I'm sure there are a few more as well.....

How the radiator failed, is a question you should have asked the Dealership when they told you it failed....
But dollars to donuts, I bet it was leaking.....

Good luck trying to find someone to repair a leak in these types of radiators, the Dealer as well as most folks will just tell you to replace, I can get a new aftermarket for as a little as $80. I'm sure the Dealership charged you $360, or even more, just for the part.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Um, the radiator, like any equipment on a car or anywhere else, can have multiple failure modes.....

For a radiator, especially most modern vehicles with long life anti-freeze and aluminum core and plastic tank radiator the most common mode of failure is it starts leaking.....
Your radiator could clog and restrict flow....
Your radiator could burst....
Your radiator could have air channels clogged with dirt or cooling fins bent over stopping airflow....
I'm sure there are a few more as well.....

How the radiator failed, is a question you should have asked the Dealership when they told you it failed....
But dollars to donuts, I bet it was leaking.....

Good luck trying to find someone to repair a leak in these types of radiators, the Dealer as well as most folks will just tell you to replace, I can get a new aftermarket for as a little as $80. I'm sure the Dealership charged you $360, or even more, just for the part.....
I think you misunderstood and thought I had the issue. I was just saying I’m surprised that there where so many failed radiators and I’m wondering when I might happen to me and what to look out for. Over 30 years of owning vehicles and I’ve never had to replace a radiator in any one of them. I did change one out for a friend once, but that was a 1985 Ford LTD and that was to be expected. Not on a fairly new Grand Cherokee with low miles.
But I guess nowadays it’s to be expected and considered normal wear.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,129 Posts
I think you misunderstood and thought I had the issue. I was just saying I’m surprised that there where so many failed radiators and I’m wondering when I might happen to me and what to look out for. Over 30 years of owning vehicles and I’ve never had to replace a radiator in any one of them. I did change one out for a friend once, but that was a 1985 Ford LTD and that was to be expected. Not on a fairly new Grand Cherokee with low miles.
But I guess nowadays it’s to be expected and considered normal wear.
I did, I thought you were the Original Poster that didn't understand how the radiator failed if it has never been smashed up in a collision, sorry.....

Before the plastic tanked radiators, all brass and soldered together, I've had a few clog from Pennsylvania tap water that is very hard (heavily laden with dissolved minerals), I started mixing anti-freeze with distilled/de-mineralized water from the supermarket and never experienced it again.... ...I stopped to help a woman broke down on the highway, that had overheated her engine so bad her radiator burst (she thought turning on the AC would cool her engine off :rolleyes:)....

With the plastic tank radiators, especially Chrysler since Daimler bought them out and later, I have yet to have one not develop a leak from the seam between the plastic tank and core..... ....the WK2 is the first I've had develop a leak before 100k miles.... ...and you see lots of posts of people developing leaks much earlier than normal with the WK2....

I keep most of my cars past 200k miles, all of them with the plastic tank radiators, they all had developed leaks at the seam between the plastic tank and aluminum core, but after 100k miles.... ...except for a few 80's, early 90's chryslers I've owned.... ...like I said, it seems the radiators and A-604 transmission that they had fixed all the problems and were perfectly reliable, suddenly became unreliable and failing early, right after Daimler took over..... ....for the transmissions, they switched to paper gaskets and cheaper parts, that contributed to the backward slide in reliability.... ....I don't know why for the radiators, this is also was about the time everyone started switching to micro-channel cooling tubes, so perhaps that's part of it, or it could have just been Daimlers infamous cheapening of the lesser brands at the time....

It also depends on what you mean by failure? Lots of slowing leaking radiators still cool the engine just fine for typical driving, you just have to keep replacing the lost coolant.... ...there are lots of folks driving around with leaking radiators with no problems.... ...but if you want to stop adding coolant and have the full cooling capacity for heavier loads, you have to replace the leaking radiator....

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 50 some years of troubleshooting cars, boats, airplanes, trains, etc. I always ask what did you just do to the vehicle. usually whatever was just done turns out to be the problem. Poor installation, failed to follow instructions, poor parts etc. You may need to have the recall process performed again. Possibly there was a glitch in the install. After the recall was done on mine I have seen a "service transmission warning message". three times in the last year. Nothing wrong with the tranny. This message always happened when backing up on a steep driveway just after starting the vehicle. Possibly caused by tranny fluid not warmed up enough. Anyway I just ignore the message.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Two thoughts, may or may not be of help here.

First, the transmission is cooled through the radiator. If the radiator failed in such a way that the trans fluid running through it was compromised, it's quite possible that the trans was damaged by coolant diluting the trans fluid. It's also possible that depending on the radiator's failure mode, that the trans overheated because of the failed radiator. Either scenario is possible since the trans and radiator are directly connected to each other.

Second, I'm convinced that the "lifetime" or "100K" service intervals for coolant and trans fluids are total crap. I've already had a full trans service performed by my dealer using the factory ZF fluid and new trans pan filter. At 42,000 the fluid that came out wasn't too horrible but no way it was going to make it to 100,000 miles. I'm a 3 years/45,000 believer for changing trans and coolant. Certainly can't hurt anything but my wallet. And the "lifetime" coolant? What does that mean? Lifetime of the radiator until it fails from the coolant breaking down? Mine's been changed once, will do it again at 75-80,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with around 70k miles. I took it into the dealership because the radio completely failed and it turns out the radiator needed to be replaced as well (by the way, never been in an accident, which makes the radiator failure a little strange). In addition to the replacements, they did updates to the computer, part of which puts the GC in park if you forget to, as part of a recall and less than 3 weeks later, the transmission fails. Before they figured out it was the transmission, they replaced the valve body ($1300). They have now offered to cover the valve body and i would only be responsible for the transmission ($4500). As an aside, when they drained the transmission fluid, everything was clear and they couldn't find anything physically wrong with it .

Seems awfully coincidental that my transmission had this massive failure shortly after it received service/updates and was went through with a fine toothed comb. And now I've had 4 major component failures on a 5 year old car in a month. And at least 3 of the 4 (transmission, radio and radiator) are not something that usually wholesale fails on a 5 year old car without some other issue. I called Jeep Customer Care and they said that because the dealership offered me something (regardless of what that amount would have been), there is nothing they can do from a corporate perspective.

Anyone with additional knowledge that might help me figure out what is happening here? I've seen that these cars have had issues, but this seems a little crazy. After putting all this money into it, I'm trying to decide if I just cut and run or if I try and run it into the ground and hope nothing else major happens in the meantime. If I run, I don't think i can, in good conscious, get another FCA produced vehicle. Interested in others experiences.

Thanks
Curios about your engine. I have a 2015' GC Summit with a Ecodiesel. Bought it used from Carmax in California after it was transferred from Nevada with 40K miles a bit over 2 years ago. Noticed that when coming to a stop it would jerk twice before stopping completely. It also had jerky and delayed starts. It's an 8-speed and I could see that just before stopping it still had 2 downshifts to go which accounted for the jerkiness. It felt like a manual transmission where you forgot to engage the clutch while coming to a stop. It got progressively worse but only did it sometimes and of course the dealership couldn't duplicate it each time (3) that I bought it in. Finally it began doing it all the time no matter what. The shop foreman took it out for a drive and experienced the same thing...consistently. It has a sealed transmission so there is no adjustment, I'm told, that could be made and no computer reprogramming either. They replaced valve body (???) in it but that only lasted a few weeks before it was doing it again. Jeep apparently is aware of this issue but I got the impression in speaking with people that they wanted to keep it on the down low. They replaced my transmission and so far after an estimated 30+K miles, no issues. Didn't cost me anything except time. There are law firms that are aware of these transmission issues and are ready to take them on at no cost to you. Wish I could remember the firm that had contacted me. They were great in staying in touch until after I got the new transmission and told them that if transmission issues resurfaced, I'd give them a call. Hope you read the responses from Tow911. Good information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two thoughts, may or may not be of help here.

First, the transmission is cooled through the radiator. If the radiator failed in such a way that the trans fluid running through it was compromised, it's quite possible that the trans was damaged by coolant diluting the trans fluid. It's also possible that depending on the radiator's failure mode, that the trans overheated because of the failed radiator. Either scenario is possible since the trans and radiator are directly connected to each other.

Second, I'm convinced that the "lifetime" or "100K" service intervals for coolant and trans fluids are total crap. I've already had a full trans service performed by my dealer using the factory ZF fluid and new trans pan filter. At 42,000 the fluid that came out wasn't too horrible but no way it was going to make it to 100,000 miles. I'm a 3 years/45,000 believer for changing trans and coolant. Certainly can't hurt anything but my wallet. And the "lifetime" coolant? What does that mean? Lifetime of the radiator until it fails from the coolant breaking down? Mine's been changed once, will do it again at 75-80,000 miles.
Great information and feedback, Tow911. Never was a fan of that 100k before change either. Every time I asked when the fluid should be changed I received a different answer and none of them agreed with the owner's manual. Kind of scary having a tranny cooled by the radiator. I didn't know that and that thought brings about some scary memories. Had a '57 Chevy with a turboglide transmission that was cooled the same way. While on my way home from military discharge at about 3 in the morning crossing the Tehachapi Mountain range, it blew (transmission) pouring water and coolant inside. Good thing I was wearing military boots or my feet would have be scalded. I'll keep an eye even more so, now, on the temp gauge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts