Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I would like to share my story that a lot of you will probably face soon.

I bought in December 2017 a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 in Minneapolis. the car had one owner before and service was done at Jeep dealer and no problems were reported, car had about 32000 miles. car was first put on the rod on October 15, 2015.

In Early November 2018, I started to notice a hissing noise coming for the dash and asked the dealer to look at it while I was getting my car serviced (oil change and tire replacement). At that time the dealer told me that my car was a bit low on refrigerant and they suggested a refill. I got it refilled, and it was very expensive ($500) as now they use the 1234YF refrigerant. At that time they place colorant in refrigerant trying to find a leak but could not find anything.

Then late June 2019, when temperature finally raised above 75°F in Minnesota, yes we have long winters here, the hissing noise came back. SO here I am again at the dealer and asked them to make a thorough search, this time they identified the leak to come from the evaporator. They explained me that it will be expensive to repair but I needed the AC to be fixed as I don't see the point of paying $500 to refill it every 6 months....

So, they repaired it, it costs me $2600 as the evaporator is situated under the dash in the cabin.

I then contacted Jeep customer service to pen a complaint while they were repairing the car but they refused to even opening a case arguing that my car was out of warranty even if the problem occurred 2 weeks after it expired (November 2018). I argued that today my car has only 51000 miles, below also the 60000 miles warranty but the did not care.

When the dealer removed the faulty evaporator, they noticed a lot of damages on it and also identified where the leak was originated from and it was from a damaged area. They explained ma that this evaporator is situated inside the cabin under the dash behind the firewall and is not exposed to any elements or the road and that it is impossible that it gets damaged while the car was driven. It leaves only one option then, the car was assembled at the manufacture with a damaged evaporator. I contacted again Jeep customer service explaining them what we found and again they have refused to take in consideration my complaint and were even very rude on the phone. I kept the faulty part and even offered to share pictures of it with them but they don't care.

SO, I guess my only option here is to take a lawyer and attack Jeep in court. Anyone has any advice here on how to proceed?

What is crazy is that Jeep does not want to take responsibility for their mistakes and does not want to document those types of problems that happened at manufacture. Imagine if it was a component of transmission or brakes instead of the AC evaporator, they will put in danger the thousands of Grand Cherokee owners. Such behavior from a car manufacturer is totally unacceptable and have to be condemned.

So Grand Cherokee owners, if you start noticing hissing noise from your dash, be aware that it may be a very expensive repair and that Jeep will not help you.

As I will go to a lawyer, I want to start building a file so if you have experienced similar problems with Jeep customer service and with your Grand Cherokee Air conditioning, contact me through this forum. I guess more we are, maybe we have a chance to have Jeep recognizing their errors.

Best regards

Fabrice

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m at the beginning of the exact same journey you have gone through. Have you gotten any resolution to this yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue - 2015 GC Summit. I took it to Jeep dealership couple times over the last 3 years complaining about the sound, they could not find anything. The AC seemed to be working - but in North CA we don't use it often.

They said they would need to take dashboard out to check - and if they would not find anything again - I'l have to pay for the labor. So I did not want to gamble.

Few days ago we went south and AC stopped working. I took the car to dealership, they ran tests and they say it must be evaporator - it has to be replaced and it will cost $2,200+

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,576 Posts
There was a recent thread on here from someone with a similar problem. They wound up with one of the hose assemblies replaced to solve their problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the same problem on my 2015
What did you guys end up doing?
Seems like a few 2015 affected!
I ended up paying the $2,250.00 to have it repaired. I couldn’t live in GA in the summer without A/C. My Jeep dealer service person never called me back to schedule the appt. I ended up using my other mechanic who has the tools to recharge R1234YF refrigerant. They also replaced any other parts under the dash that could potentially go bad while they had the dash pulled.

FYI my non-dealership mechanic said he had 6 Chrysler products in for the same reason. So I don’t think it’s just a Jeep problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here’s the info from the other thread mentioned above.

UPDATE:
Took my Jeep in for service. Agent was quite skeptical that there could be any problem at all with the A/C, so I was not confident the problem would be resolved. However, because it was a return visit for the same problem, they had to contact FCA engineers. They said a TBS (technical service bulletin) had been issued for my vehicle ('18 Grand Cherokee purchased Oct. '17). They replaced the return line. To wit:

"Inspected vehicle and verified noise from dash. Expansion valve making noise. Checked system and found a/c pressures low. Performed visual inspection and found low side port leaking. Tried a new schraeder valve and it still leaks. Replaced line. Recharged. No leaks. A/C cold and noise gone. Complaint resolved."

Hopefully for good this time...! :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I ended up paying the $2,250.00 to have it repaired. I couldn’t live in GA in the summer without A/C. My Jeep dealer service person never called me back to schedule the appt. I ended up using my other mechanic who has the tools to recharge R1234YF refrigerant. They also replaced any other parts under the dash that could potentially go bad while they had the dash pulled.

View attachment 226091

FYI my non-dealership mechanic said he had 6 Chrysler products in for the same reason. So I don’t think it’s just a Jeep problem.
For all that work I'd say you got a bargain.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Here’s the info from the other thread mentioned above.

UPDATE:
Took my Jeep in for service. Agent was quite skeptical that there could be any problem at all with the A/C, so I was not confident the problem would be resolved. However, because it was a return visit for the same problem, they had to contact FCA engineers. They said a TBS (technical service bulletin) had been issued for my vehicle ('18 Grand Cherokee purchased Oct. '17). They replaced the return line. To wit:

"Inspected vehicle and verified noise from dash. Expansion valve making noise. Checked system and found a/c pressures low. Performed visual inspection and found low side port leaking. Tried a new schraeder valve and it still leaks. Replaced line. Recharged. No leaks. A/C cold and noise gone. Complaint resolved."

Hopefully for good this time...! :D
This is some good additional info. Reading between the lines it sounds like the TSB might simply have been about defects in the schraeder valve body and alerting techs to take a good look at that when a vehicle has a difficult to track leak. As a system gets low on refrigerant it seems likely it would more and more make those ventilator sounds. Possibly defects in the expansion valve might also generate odd noises. In what you posted you indicated the tech said expansion valve was making noise but only indicated the refrigerant line was replaced (Which presumably included the schraeder valve body that was leaking. Do you know if they also replaced the expansion valve?

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
365 Posts
I do not own a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, this seems to be a major ongoing issue. I became aware of this issue this week. I bought a new Dodge Ram that I have had to take to the shop 5 out of the 6 days I've owned it. (My issue is not with the AC, they just can't figure out how to balance tires). While sitting for hours at the dealership waiting for my truck, a literal parade of people have come in with AC problems on their Grand Cherokees.

Granted it is Arizona in the summer, it was 118 degrees today in Phoenix and AC is more than important to everyone, hence the reason I'm buying a brand new truck. This dealer sells all FCA vehicles, it is a big dealership that has six service desks that are busy most of the time. I don't normally eavesdrop, but being as bored as I was, I couldn't help notice there was well over a dozen people in for AC related issues. One was an older model Wrangler and the other was a ram truck. All the rest were Grand Cherokees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I would like to share my story that a lot of you will probably face soon.

I bought in December 2017 a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 in Minneapolis. the car had one owner before and service was done at Jeep dealer and no problems were reported, car had about 32000 miles. car was first put on the rod on October 15, 2015.

In Early November 2018, I started to notice a hissing noise coming for the dash and asked the dealer to look at it while I was getting my car serviced (oil change and tire replacement). At that time the dealer told me that my car was a bit low on refrigerant and they suggested a refill. I got it refilled, and it was very expensive ($500) as now they use the 1234YF refrigerant. At that time they place colorant in refrigerant trying to find a leak but could not find anything.

Then late June 2019, when temperature finally raised above 75°F in Minnesota, yes we have long winters here, the hissing noise came back. SO here I am again at the dealer and asked them to make a thorough search, this time they identified the leak to come from the evaporator. They explained me that it will be expensive to repair but I needed the AC to be fixed as I don't see the point of paying $500 to refill it every 6 months....

So, they repaired it, it costs me $2600 as the evaporator is situated under the dash in the cabin.

I then contacted Jeep customer service to pen a complaint while they were repairing the car but they refused to even opening a case arguing that my car was out of warranty even if the problem occurred 2 weeks after it expired (November 2018). I argued that today my car has only 51000 miles, below also the 60000 miles warranty but the did not care.

When the dealer removed the faulty evaporator, they noticed a lot of damages on it and also identified where the leak was originated from and it was from a damaged area. They explained ma that this evaporator is situated inside the cabin under the dash behind the firewall and is not exposed to any elements or the road and that it is impossible that it gets damaged while the car was driven. It leaves only one option then, the car was assembled at the manufacture with a damaged evaporator. I contacted again Jeep customer service explaining them what we found and again they have refused to take in consideration my complaint and were even very rude on the phone. I kept the faulty part and even offered to share pictures of it with them but they don't care.

SO, I guess my only option here is to take a lawyer and attack Jeep in court. Anyone has any advice here on how to proceed?

What is crazy is that Jeep does not want to take responsibility for their mistakes and does not want to document those types of problems that happened at manufacture. Imagine if it was a component of transmission or brakes instead of the AC evaporator, they will put in danger the thousands of Grand Cherokee owners. Such behavior from a car manufacturer is totally unacceptable and have to be condemned.

So Grand Cherokee owners, if you start noticing hissing noise from your dash, be aware that it may be a very expensive repair and that Jeep will not help you.

As I will go to a lawyer, I want to start building a file so if you have experienced similar problems with Jeep customer service and with your Grand Cherokee Air conditioning, contact me through this forum. I guess more we are, maybe we have a chance to have Jeep recognizing their errors.

Best regards

Fabrice
I'm having same issues living in Arizona dry and no snow. the tech put a Camera under the dash and told me that the evaporator corroded and leak freon. I had to keep refilling it every two months and it was NOT CHEAP FREON to keep refilling it. let me know how things go with your journey of not caring jeep manufacturer. 2015 jeep grand Cherokee limited

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and have the same issue with hissing noises. Welp.. same story as everyone else, evaporator coil behind the dash is leaking. $3,000 repair. Definitely a manufacturing issue!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and have the same issue with hissing noises. Welp.. same story as everyone else, evaporator coil behind the dash is leaking. $3,000 repair. Definitely a manufacturing issue!
This sounds like a manufacturing issue. The R-1234yf refrigerant was not compatible with the metallurgy used in the A/C components for systems using R-134a and required the A/C systems to be upgraded to a different metal that is not attacked by the newer R-1234yf. I wonder if the manufacturer made the necessary changes before using the new R1234yf in the 2015 models since it is when this new refrigerant came on the market. I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought new and just now started having this same issue. I also have a 2012 Honda Accord that uses R-134a and have never had a minutes trouble out of the A/C system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds like a manufacturing issue. The R-1234yf refrigerant was not compatible with the metallurgy used in the A/C components for systems using R-134a and required the A/C systems to be upgraded to a different metal that is not attacked by the newer R-1234yf. I wonder if the manufacturer made the necessary changes before using the new R1234yf in the 2015 models since it is when this new refrigerant came on the market. I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought new and just now started having this same issue. I also have a 2012 Honda Accord that uses R-134a and have never had a minutes trouble out of the A/C system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 6/2020, from LaFontaine d
ealer in Lansing, MI and it has same hissing problem. I know the evaporator must be leaking and I cannot afford to pay for freon refill. It only has 39500 miles and was previously on a lease with one customer. The dealer stated the jeep was fully inspected before I bought it. I doubt the evaporator was inspected.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 226091

I’m from GA and have the same problem with my 2015 GC. Wondering if that $2250 worth of repair did the trick? Any updates? I might need to visit your non-dealership mechanic soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m from GA and have the same problem with my 2015 GC. Wondering if that $2250 worth of repair did the trick? Any updates? I might need to visit your non-dealership mechanic soon.
I just bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude and it has the exact same problem. I plan to attempt to fix it myself but I really hate the coolant has to be removed and replaced. Also my local mechanic doesn't have 1234y. Anyone else fix it themselves?

·
Registered
5 Posts
More jeep owners need to write to Chrysler Jeep manufacturer to report this for recall
I paid $4500 for an Easy Care warranty to cover this type of repair at the dealership I bought my 2017 jeep from LaFontaine in Lansing

1 - 20 of 27 Posts