Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just ran into this issue with our 2018 Grand Cherokee - it's less than 3 years old but past the mileage covered under the original warranty. We purchased it certified pre-owned six months ago. The evaporator needs to be replaced and our dealership is quoting $2,800. I'm curious if there is a place where owners are documenting these issues and if there has been any exploration of a potential class-action lawsuit, based on the number of similar complaints I have seen just with a quick Google search today? It seems like an incredibly common issue, from what we can see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had purchased a vehicle warranty for repairs and fortunately LaFontaine dealership replaced the condenser that had a leak. They had told me at first that it is not covered in my warranty until I spoke to management. Chrysler Jeep manufacturer needs to recall this part along with evaporator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had purchased a vehicle warranty for repairs and fortunately LaFontaine dealership replaced the condenser that had a leak. They had told me at first that it is not covered in my warranty until I spoke to management. Chrysler Jeep manufacturer needs to recall this part along with evaporator.
Was it an extended bumper to bumper warranty? We talked to Jeep customer service yesterday and our extended warranty only covers powertrain. I’m trying to get a copy of it to see for myself but it sounds unlikely they’ll cover anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told this is an issue with the transition from r134a to 1234yf. Somehow the 1234yf is collapsing the seals in the evaporator that was designed for r134a, but Jeep is still using the r134a evap core. Does this make sense and does anyone not agree with this statement? I'm asking because this transition is fairly new (I know my 2015 has it), but this makes sense why it's every single Jeep out there that has this issue at some point.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
I was told this is an issue with the transition from r134a to 1234yf. Somehow the 1234yf is collapsing the seals in the evaporator that was designed for r134a, but Jeep is still using the r134a evap core. Does this make sense and does anyone not agree with this statement? I'm asking because this transition is fairly new (I know my 2015 has it), but this makes sense why it's every single Jeep out there that has this issue at some point.
From what people have said here and from what I've read elsewhere the 1234yf is highly corrosive and as a result it's been eating holes in the metal of the evaporators. Might be damaging rubber seals too I suppose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what people have said here and from what I've read elsewhere the 1234yf is highly corrosive and as a result it's been eating holes in the metal of the evaporators. Might be damaging rubber seals too I suppose.
Oh that changes things quite a bit! How can it be better for the environment if it eats holes in metal?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts