Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased DDM Tunning Ultra CanBus HID Kit, 35W, Ultra H11, 6500K. I took them to a shop to get installed and the people installing them said there was a problem. The daytime running lights would not turn on. Well the biggest problem is that after about 5 mins of driving. They would turn off. I cannot seem to figure out why. I have seen many people on here get these put on and even on IG. I am in need of help guys. I currently have some LED bulbs in both my low and fogs. I really just want to change out my lows for some nice and bright HID's. Any help would be more than appreciated. Thank you

Patrick

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
381 Posts
I recently purchased DDM Tunning Ultra CanBus HID Kit, 35W, Ultra H11, 6500K. I took them to a shop to get installed and the people installing them said there was a problem. The daytime running lights would not turn on. Well the biggest problem is that after about 5 mins of driving. They would turn off. I cannot seem to figure out why. I have seen many people on here get these put on and even on IG. I am in need of help guys. I currently have some LED bulbs in both my low and fogs. I really just want to change out my lows for some nice and bright HID's. Any help would be more than appreciated. Thank you

Patrick
I have LEDs in my Lows and my fogs with a "canbus" kit on it and have no issues at all. However like and old post said its not the canbus that causes the issues with out jeeps its actually the TIPM computer. The actual name it should be called is a PWM module (Pulse Width Modulation). However in my researches some companies kits work and others don't work. It could be the kit you bought. Is there a chance you can return and order another or because you installed them that they wont accept a return. Also some kits don't work with the DRL. Your best bet is to turn off that function like I did and also turn off the function called "Illumination On Approach" which is when you open your doors your headlights turn on. Problem is its a lot of use on the ballast and bulbs when the vehicle isn't turned on.

·
Registered
Altitude
2,753 Posts
Just turn off the DRL feature... done.

I've had my DDM kit in for over 2 years in my '15. I'm actually installing HID fogs once the weather gets nicer out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The daytime running lights would not turn on. Well the biggest problem is that after about 5 mins of driving. Patrick
To the best of my knowledge the DRL is simply a lower wattage being delivered to the halogen bulb. This is not enough to power up the ballast on the aftermarket HID and will cause flickering or not turning on at all. As stated previously, with aftermarket HID you need to turn off the DRL feature.

·
Registered
770 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the DRL is simply a lower wattage being delivered to the halogen bulb. This is not enough to power up the ballast on the aftermarket HID and will cause flickering or not turning on at all. As stated previously, with aftermarket HID you need to turn off the DRL feature.

That is not true. Like I said mine work perfectly during the day with DRL on.

The capacitor in the canceller unit built into the ballast stores enough energy to operate the bulbs at the reduced wattage if they are functioning properly.

·
Registered
Altitude
2,753 Posts
I would turn off the DRL feature to be safe... keeping a constant voltage on the HID ballasts (regardless how low the voltage is) cant be good long term.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
381 Posts
Like above said the DRL function is simply just a lower voltage running to the lightbulb , but being a halogen bulb stock it still draws enough current to not send a error light to the computer. I do agree with turning it off while running HIDs because of the specific voltage they need unless they have a voltage regulator built in. Again for my jeep I have the LED lights installed and they run at 100% light output while in DRL mode because of the decoder that is built in line with them allowing them to run from a range of voltages. However I have them turned off for DRL because I just don't need them on (personal preference).

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will turning off my DRL help with them turning off even at night? They would power on for like 5 mins but then turn off. Pretty dangerous when you are driving around at night time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts