Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
GC Overland
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2015 Overland (QL) (QTII) with the High Altitude package with 56,000 miles that I thought had a locking diff only to find out NOT, I have already installed skid plates and replaced the tires with Toyo Open County A/T2, and now reading some of the comments here about the price to fix the QL if it goes out, I'm debating if I should have bought the Wrangler instead?
I guess I'll run it this winter and see how it does in deep snow and make a decision then!

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
4 Posts
I'm a noob here. I'm sure I'll be scoffed at by the WK2 masters, but how do you know if it has a locker or not? I have a 2016 Rubicon, with lockers of course, but everyone knows that since the switches are on the dash. I just bought my wife a 2016 Overland (the main reason I joined is to learn a bit more about it) and it has everything imaginable but I didn't buy it for hardcore offroading. I've now learned that some have lockers. If there is a switch mine doesn't have it. I'm thinking it may be automatic in 4 low or something? How does one tell?

·
Registered
GC Overland
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a noob here. I'm sure I'll be scoffed at by the WK2 masters, but how do you know if it has a locker or not? I have a 2016 Rubicon, with lockers of course, but everyone knows that since the switches are on the dash. I just bought my wife a 2016 Overland (the main reason I joined is to learn a bit more about it) and it has everything imaginable but I didn't buy it for hardcore offroading. I've now learned that some have lockers. If there is a switch mine doesn't have it. I'm thinking it may be automatic in 4 low or something? How does one tell?

·
Registered
GC Overland
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a build sheet with the vin # at the Jeep web site if I remember correctly.
It came back as a "Conventional Differential" front and rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, not trying to hijack your thread. I'll do some research on the rear diff.

As stated above, I have a lifted and pretty capable 2016 Rubicon. I've had about every imaginable vehicle and the Rubi is ultimately capable in almost stock form (mine has 2.5 AEV lift and 33"s plus a few other camping/overland mods). It will go anywhere effortlessly. It will climb trees. Nothing stops it. Having just bought this cushy WK2 I'm really impressed with the technology but have a hard time believing it will be nearly as capable as a stock Rubicon. Way nicer to drive though. I'm right there with you. I'm kind of torn with the idea of selling my Rubi and making do with her/our WK2 since I mostly just drive a work truck.

2 questions: What IS the price of replacing the QL?
And, what part of the country are you in/what's the climate and terrain?

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
Internet forums will almost always give the impression that "everyone" has problems. QL is certainly a complex system and there absolutely is a higher incidence of issues than with the "plain" spring suspension. But problems are not universal. There are literally many hundreds of thousands of JGCs with QL on the road and the percentage that have had problems isn't as "substantial" as you might think from reading threads online.

The JGC is not a comparable vehicle to Wrangler when it comes to off-road performance. JGC is VERY capable, but you can't expect it to do what a body-on-frame, short wheelbase vehicle that was designed with off-roading in mind can do. (suitably modified, of course) But JGC is a much more comfortable ride in all those other situations, IMHO.

·
Registered
GC Overland
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, not trying to hijack your thread. I'll do some research on the rear diff.

As stated above, I have a lifted and pretty capable 2016 Rubicon. I've had about every imaginable vehicle and the Rubi is ultimately capable in almost stock form (mine has 2.5 AEV lift and 33"s plus a few other camping/overland mods). It will go anywhere effortlessly. It will climb trees. Nothing stops it. Having just bought this cushy WK2 I'm really impressed with the technology but have a hard time believing it will be nearly as capable as a stock Rubicon. Way nicer to drive though. I'm right there with you. I'm kind of torn with the idea of selling my Rubi and making do with her/our WK2 since I mostly just drive a work truck.

2 questions: What IS the price of replacing the QL?
And, what part of the country are you in/what's the climate and terrain?
State of Wisconsin,so snow and ice.

·
Registered
GC Overland
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Internet forums will almost always give the impression that "everyone" has problems. QL is certainly a complex system and there absolutely is a higher incidence of issues than with the "plain" spring suspension. But problems are not universal. There are literally many hundreds of thousands of JGCs with QL on the road and the percentage that have had problems isn't as "substantial" as you might think from reading threads online.

The JGC is not a comparable vehicle to Wrangler when it comes to off-road performance. JGC is VERY capable, but you can't expect it to do what a body-on-frame, short wheelbase vehicle that was designed with off-roading in mind can do. (suitably modified, of course) But JGC is a much more comfortable ride in all those other situations, IMHO.
You are right about the ride for sure, I test drove a used Wrangler Willys first, then the GC, and said, "I'm getting to old for this rough ridding stuff" and the bought the Overland!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Overland with the rear e-locker. It is a component of the Off Road Adventure 2 package. It engages automatically. There is no switch.

I regularly run trails (including the Mojave Road) with modified Wranglers. My WK2 easily kept up on the Mojave Road and was way more comfortable. I even did the river crossing. My WK2 interior stayed completely dry in the 3 ft deep plus crossing while a couple of my friends had wet feet. Even though I have the Hemi my range is superior to the Wranglers. Where the Wranglers leave me behind is technical terrain. Rock crawling, tight turns, large boulders and when there is danger of body damage. I don't have rocker protection/slides... I understand my rigs limitations and don't push it.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
795 Posts
The key word is (If it goes out) You only hear from owners that have had issues but the majority have not had any problems. I have a 2018 HA and it's quite a capable off roader. Biggest issue is front fascia to ground clearance. I installed front hooks and skids, next will be some good AT tires. Figured I'd change the stock ones at 15000 miles. When you're in 4 low the differential is locked. You'll usually hear it engage. (Rock mode also puts you in OR II) If you have the off road pages it will show on the U connect screen. I spent some time messing with it in sand actually tried to get stuck by stopping. Was in 4 high front wheels spun a bit but once the system decided what wheels needed power it pulled me out. Then tried the same thing in 4 low and what a difference went through effortlessly. Did the same thing in mud no problems! It's amazing how well it works distributing power where needed.

The forum is a wealth of information and you're gonna hear problems that owners experience. I've been here over 6 years and it's rare that a JGC owner has buyers remorse. If you question the off road or snow ability just check out some youtube videos on just how good it is. A good AT is your best friend. I'm on my 2nd JGC and love the hell out of it. Give it a chance I'm sure you will too!

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
....I just bought my wife a 2016 Overland (the main reason I joined is to learn a bit more about it) and it has everything imaginable but I didn't buy it for hardcore offroading. I've now learned that some have lockers. If there is a switch mine doesn't have it. I'm thinking it may be automatic in 4 low or something? How does one tell?
QDII is simply QTII with a rear ELSD.....
So if you want the rear ELSD, then you need to look for a WK2 equipped with QDII.....

The rear ELSD is simply an LSD with electronic control that reduces/increase the pressure on the clutch plates in the LSD for the conditions, so it can be nearly an open differential if this is better (there are conditions where an LSD is worse than an open diff) to an very tight LSD. Yes, it can increase the pressure to point the differential is virtually locked... ....so I wouldn't call it a Locker differential, but it does have the ability to lock.....

But the key is, if its QDII it has a rear ELSD, and if it is QTII or QTI its an open diff....

All WK2's have only open differentials for the front diff, there is no locker's or ELSD's....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
AFA Quadra Lift, already mentioned that most don't have a problem, but the few that do have hefty repair bills and thus on the internet you find a lot of loud complaints....

....One option to keep in mind if the worst happens, a kit to retrofit to spring suspension can be cheaper than the repair, as well the kit is simple enough, you could put your own kit together......

....The QL just replaces the springs with air bags and adds a lot of equipment to pump up/bleed down the air bags..... ....that extra equipment for the air bags are not needed for the conventional springs... ...there are some differences in the shocks to fit the air bags over them and different damping rates, as well as the shock and spring mounting hardware....

So to replace the QL with a Conventional suspension is simply new springs and shocks and a short list of mounting hardware, i.e. Upper Mounts, spring pads and dust shields.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
QDII is simply QTII with a rear ELSD.....
All WK2's have only open differentials for the front diff, there is no locker's or ELSD's....
Thanks Mongo. I just fooled around with my 4 low and looked at my window sticker. Unfortunately mine is QT2 with open rear.

Anyway, it’s her daily and should still be capable enough for our needs.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
86Scotty, the QT-II system is VERY capable and the ELSD that gets added to it to make it QDII only adds an incremental benefit that comes into play only in the most extreme situations. Don't underestimate the intelligence of the computer system that coordinates the drive train and brakes when it comes to JGC capabilities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts