Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I am currently in the market and am looking to pull the trigger on a new vehicle in the next month or two and have considered a WK2 Summit for quite a while.

Right now I'm eyeing a 2015 Summit 4x4 w/HEMI, black on sienna brown (my preferred interior color) w/platinum series group (California package) at a local dealer for ~$32.8k. It's certified w/37k miles on it.

I think this is a very fair deal and believe I could probably negotiate them down a bit since it's been sitting on their lot for a decent amount of time (I've been keeping an eye on it). What I don't like is the lack of lane departure warning/lane keep assist/advance park assist/auto start stop that can be found on the 2017+ Summit models. I'm also very fond of the subtle exterior refresh in the 2017+ models, particularly the LED bumper strip/fog light and black accents. Do I need these features? No. Would I like to have them? Sure.

I've done some searches and can find a 2017+ w/decent mileage for just under $40k. Obviously, I love the price of the '15 I'm watching...anyone think the '17 is worth a near $8k+ premium? I guess 'value' is relative in this scenario but I'm curious what all of you would do? Also curious how much the prices of '17+ would drop if I decided to wait a few more months...Thanks, in advance for everyone's insight!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would definitely go for the 2017, for all those reasons you mentioned. You didn't mention the engine in the 2017, but FYI, the start/stop is only on the V6.

Don't forget that the 2015 also has the electronic shifter, which I definitely would not want.

Most people that have had a pre-2017 and upgraded to the 2017/2018 say the LED fog lights are literally night and day better than the mini halogen projectors in the 2014-2016 Summits.

Don't forget, if you're willing to spend even more, you could just splurge for a new 2018 and get the 4th gen Uconnect (there are already threads debating whether it's worth it, due to a few issues/imperfections, but I get the sense that most returning buyers are pretty happy with the improvement over their previous GC).

It might be worth sending Craig at Koons (DC group buy) an email just to see what they can do on a new 2018. You're guaranteed at least 4% under invoice.

·
Registered
2018 GC Summit 4x4
1,555 Posts
I would highly recommend contacting koons and seeing what the 2018 would go for. The new Ucomnect is far superior to the old one. I know the update has been screwing up some radios but that should be fixed with a new update. Other than that it’s so much faster of a system and well worth the up charge

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I agree with Protect.

Also, Start/Stop is not a feature on Hemi-equipped JGCs. It's only applicable to the V6.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The 2017 Summit has all the modern features that a luxury SUV will have at a signifigant higher price point. They are easily worth it and as you mentioned, the 17 is a stunner. The only difference between a 17 or 18 is the radio has Apple/android car play. The HK system is the same and that is to say outstanding. IMO, if money is not a factor go 17 or 18 as I believe it is the finest example of the platform before it gets updated in a few years. Even the Summit has some very sweet options that can really run up the price tag so make sure you are comparing comparable Summits when price shopping.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A brand new 17 or 18 Summit will run you $50-52k without the lauguna leather option. So if you can find a used 17 Summit for under $40k you’re doing alright. Although those are probably V6 models if that matters. Personally I was only interested in the Hemi.

·
Registered
Jeep
10 Posts
Every year above the 2015 you get appreciable differences at a corresponding $4-5k premium per year. The 2015 ‘joy stick’ auto selector got a lot of bad press so a 2016+ has a conventional shifter that everyone can figure out. Funny thing is I went to an auto show last month and most makers have adopted....you guessed it...joy stick shifters! Not sure how Jeep got theirs so wrong, but supposedly a software update addresses the danger but the harm from the bad press is now part of it’s internet legacy. Otherwise you are getting a good vehicle with the 2015. I would get the newest Jeep you can afford up to 2018. Not sure if 2019 will have any changes as the Mercedes designed chasis is slated to be replaced in 2-3 years with a Fiat designed platform. I think the combination of Mercedes chasis/air suspension, American NA v8 power and offload capability, mixed with Italian design makes this a unique DNA that we may not likely see again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, for the replies everyone. Yes, I too am only interested in the HEMI and that’s what I only search for in either black, white, granite crystal or silver (since it was finally added as an exterior color choice in ‘17) with the sienna brown interior.

Does anyone have Craig’s direct contact at Koon’s (I assume he’s dealt with DC area forum members in the past?)

Even though I don’t terribly mind the electronic shifter, I think you all have convinced me to either a) wait a bit for used ‘17 prices to fall or b) consider a 2018 (but I’d probably lease it).

·
Registered
507 Posts
. I think the combination of Mercedes chasis/air suspension, American NA v8 power and offload capability, mixed with Italian design makes this a unique DNA that we may not likely see again.
That is brilliant way of describing where the GC is now.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Reactions: wangstarr03

·
Registered
33 Posts
Every year above the 2015 you get appreciable differences at a corresponding $4-5k premium per year. The 2015 ‘joy stick’ auto selector got a lot of bad press so a 2016+ has a conventional shifter that everyone can figure out. Funny thing is I went to an auto show last month and most makers have adopted....you guessed it...joy stick shifters! Not sure how Jeep got theirs so wrong, but supposedly a software update addresses the danger but the harm from the bad press is now part of it’s internet legacy. Otherwise you are getting a good vehicle with the 2015. I would get the newest Jeep you can afford up to 2018. Not sure if 2019 will have any changes as the Mercedes designed chasis is slated to be replaced in 2-3 years with a Fiat designed platform. I think the combination of Mercedes chasis/air suspension, American NA v8 power and offload capability, mixed with Italian design makes this a unique DNA that we may not likely see again.

I am looking at a 2015 Summit with one owner, 6K miles per year. Carfax shows no maintenance records by owner, lube job when sold to dealer, tire balancing, inspect & emissions check, then an entry that I don’t understand: “Service Plan Co.Bessemer, AL/ Service contract issued”.

I can’t afford a 2017 and there were only 2 recalls against this vehicle (one to install s/w to warn drivers that the vehicle is not in park because of joy stick issues and the other had something to do with a s/w vulnerability to remote access).

With the v8 HEMI, low mileage & platinum options, 35K seems like a reasonable price. I just wonder if there is something wrong with it (the dealer warranty is only 2 months) with that reference to “service contract issued”.

I haven’t test driven it yet—is the joy stick really a big deal since it was fixed?
Thanks in advance. I hate buying used cars (well, any car), but it is the only affordable means to get a summit. It sounds like the 2015 summit is not problematic from what I have read. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am a former liberty owner (2005 MY) currently evaluating a 2015 and a 2017 Summit. I am a female driver who is not mechanically inclined, so heavily weigh this forum’s expertise to inform my judgement.

Both of the Summits I am considering have the california package and sienna/black interior (my preference). Both are one-owner and both have low mileage (22K mi on 2015, 17K mi on 2017).

The primary reason I prefer jeeps is for frequent (long) trips to the outer banks for on-the-beach driving in deep sand. I had a 1995 land rover discovery that was the absolute best drive in those conditions...WHEN IT WAS DRIVE-ABLE...there is not enough bandwidth to recount the problems with that vehicle.

The liberty is fine, but showing her age, so I am upgrading, hopefully to a more comfortable road trip (although I have not found either summit seats to be as comfortable as 2012/14 overland seats i drove in 2015).

So, the differences between these particular vehicles:

2015:
HEMI V8 has quadra-drive II 4wd, rear limited slip differential, anti-lock 4w disc heavy duty brakes, 3.09 rear axle ratio, which seems on its face better for deep dry sand conditions
Impeccable interior
Vehicle on lot a little over a month
Can possibly get a MOPAR 5 yr extended warranty through another dealer for about $350 annually
ACC/FCW intermittently inoperable (wipe sensor screen msg)
*** it is at jeep dealer now *I printed the resolution (replace front radar sensor) found on this forum for the service techs, after reading that most customers are told the problem can’t be replicated or they re-aligned the sensor and the problem recurred**

2017:
V6 (without all the stuff listed in 1 above for 2015), doesn’t seem as smooth or quiet a ride as the HEMI, but some say V6 more reliable
Vehicle on lot since DECEMBER 2017 (gives rise to question why is owner selling after just 1 year ownership)
22 more months on the bumper-to-bumper MOPAR warranty
Parallel/perpendicular park assist (my mechanic says I will never miss this)
Lane departure warning (I do like this feature)
Traditional gear shift (the 2015 electric shift does not seem problematic to me—am I wrong?)

Not crazy about the 2017 dealer: fairly typical used-car-salesman tactics. Unless there is a compelling reason to choose the 2017 over the 2015, I am leaning toward 2015.

Not sure the price difference is worth it for 2017: $33400 for 2015 vs $40900 for 2017
I got the distinct impression the 2017 dealer would let me walk on any downward price negotiation.

Opinions and advice welcome, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts