Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No more issues! Fronts are all done. I zipped through the passenger side. The jeep sits at 35” in the front and back. Totally level.
I noticed that the fronts settle down quick over bumps while the backs are as expected, busy. I will try to do them next weekend. I think having a little rake is good and to have a calmer back end is definitely wanted

Having gotten quite familiar with the suspension components through this experience, I am starting to wonder if the fancy alignment reports and alignment parameter corrections are just bs. I didn’t see anything more than the tie rods being adjustable in the front.

This job is difficult. Anyone can “own it” however and having the right tools and mind set makes mastering it easier. Impact wrenches helped a lot. I was spared from not getting bogged down on trying to remove a tight nut and visualizing the steps helps too.

I’ll put up some pictures when i get a chance. I am reaching for the Advil now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh, i wanted to mention that you are lucky having access to those parts when installing your shocks. My year doesnt have the option for buying the oem shock spring perch. On the 2016, the only way it seems to get one new is to buy a whole new shock, but now you are stuck using the shock jeep sells.

Two knocks on Eibach is they should include the perch in their kit along with the shock nut socket. I can sort of understand reusing the upper mounting plate because it interfaces with the vehicle, but the spring perch is entirely within the scope/envelop of the kit they sell.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
929 Posts
There is a camber bolt I believe on the lower control arm for adjustment. I'm at 33" front and 35" rear stock. Do you know what you were stock before install?

Hmmm I wonder if you need to buy the camber kit as shown in this video

Alignment video

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The Alignment video was educational.
I wont likely be doing anything with the align because I already have a Firestone life-time alignment deal going on.

Before the front end lift, I was sitting at the same as yours, 33" front and 35" rear.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
929 Posts
Yeah I'll probably purchase the lifetime alignment as well once I get it done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I took part of the day off from work and finished out the rears.
It took about 3 hours to do both rear corners.
The jeep roughly sits at: fronts 35" and rears 35.5". Eibach's kit is true to advertisement, although when the front and rears first came off the jack stand they sat around 36-37" up. A few spins around the block setted them down. I can tell the damping is greatly improved.
Overall, really happy with the install.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
929 Posts
The Eibach didn't come with the spring perch? Did you call Eibach to make sure? I know the Bilstein come with a new perch, or they did for my RAM. I will have to check them for the GC. That is odd they wouldn't come with new perches.

Looks good!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yea, lame huh?!
Eibach instruction say to move the hardware over from OEM.

But hey, I saved $600. With this savings I can get rock rails too. I guess its alright.
I am happy with them so far. The costruction over oem is substantial. Springs are life-time and I guess that means they won’t sag. Shocks are only two years.

I really like the two inch lift. My Maxcare warranty stipulates that I am not allowed to put on anything bigger than two inches. From what I’ve come to understand, 2-1/2” is about the maximum without detriment to the cv angles anyway as would be consistent with the Quadra lift GCs. At ORA2, the ride is reportedly too stiff and ORA1 setting is better which I’ve come to equate to some where in the 1-1/2 to 2” range.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
929 Posts
Yeah I've heard 2.5-3" max for lift. I'm hoping around the 2.5 range. Enough for added flex, but not kill the cv axles. That's also why I'm staying with a 32" tire for better flex and less chance of hitting the fender. Plus with the gearing I think 33's would kill highway driving. I know 35's w/8spd trans and think it was 3.21 gearing in my RAM sucked because the trans constantly looking for a gear with so many to choose from. That's why when I got my 2nd RAM I made sure to get the 3.92 gears. I have the 3.45 gears now, but wish they were higher like my Gf's Wrangler w/3.73 gearing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I agree with the moderation approach. There is a sweet spot for a lot of things and with these GCs it is easy to go over board. You hit the major points however.

I wouldnt want to do things that rob the performance on city streets either. Its a well balance-does-a-lot vehicle and to be good at this, you gotta set it up for the sweet spot.

Referring to the other thread regarding spare tire fitment, I am planning on a max of 32” also. I want to be able to stow the spare in the back, and as you mentioned, I dont want to turn it into a dog on the freeways by going to big.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
929 Posts
Plus I don't like the look personally, of stuffing the wheel well full of tire, unless I was to lower the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm interested to see how you like this set-up. I'll likely be going with OME, as I had their suspension on my Xterra and it was phenomenal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm interested to see how you like this set-up. I'll likely be going with OME, as I had their suspension on my Xterra and it was phenomenal.
The kit hasnt disappointed me. It rides smooth and has great rebound, damping, and control.
It levels the GC, but future moves will be to put the rake back in for when I am carrying a heavy load.
At $1100, its good.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts