Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grand cherokee was serviced the other day. Dealer told me the driver side of the high beam didn't work and asked for ~$500 to fix it. I attempted to fix the problem myself, and went ahead to replace the old bulb with a new one. However, the high beam still didn't work. After further checking, I found every time I switched from the low beam to high beam, I heard a "shutter/lid moving" sound on the passenger side of the headlight, but not on the driver side. I read some posts on the forum and learned the headlight seems to have some kind of mechanical projector to "refocus" the light from low to high beam? Does anyone have the experience of fixing similar problem? Thanks for your help in advance!

JL

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Summit EcoD
291 Posts
Correct, high beams not working isn’t a bulb problem since it’s here same bulb and same light output. For low beams there is a shield (shutter) that blocks the upper part of the beam to block light and not blind oncoming drivers. High beams just move that shield up out of the way so the beam is fully exposed.

If the shield isn’t moving anymore then the wiring/signal to the housing needs to be checked to see if the problem is with the housing or the voltage to the housing and then go from there. I don’t have any specifics to help you since this hasn’t been a problem with any of the HIDs on our vehicles but I’ll be interested in hearing what the fix ends up being.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unplugged the connector from the lamp assembly and followed the headlamp diagram (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/pdf/2014_wk_exterior_premium_lighting_diagram.pdf) and checked the signal on green wire (left high beam driver) on the male connector. The pin did toggle between 0 - 12V when I switched high/low beam switch. At this point, the problem seems to be in the housing. :-(

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
317 Posts
It sounds like if the dealer quoted $500 to fix it, that could be a bargain. if the wiring and BCM are good as you indicate, you will probably need a new housing which is more then $500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, considering they have to remove the front bumper to get access to the lamp assembly. However, I am skeptical about the quote though. I am not sure how much diagnosis the tech at dealer had done. They may requote if they find out the problem is inside the housing for a head lamp assembly replacement. The whole assembly is water tight, I can't imaging how they are able to remove the glue to get inside the housing.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th Anniversary 3.6L V6
35 Posts
Yes, considering they have to remove the front bumper to get access to the lamp assembly. However, I am skeptical about the quote though. I am not sure how much diagnosis the tech at dealer had done. They may requote if they find out the problem is inside the housing for a head lamp assembly replacement. The whole assembly is water tight, I can't imaging how they are able to remove the glue to get inside the housing.
Did you ever get it fixed? I know you said earlier you didn’t but it’s been about a year so I’m curious lol. I’m having the same issue on my 2016 JGC WK2, I have the HID bulbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts