Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 WK2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my honeycomb grill arrived for my 16 Laredo. Lots of videos on YouTube suggested removing the entire front bumper cover, but here is how I did this without TOTALLY removing it. Here is how I started out.

Then i started by removing the two top plastic rivets inside the engine bay.

Next was the sides of the bumper cover. Two plastic rivets and a 10mm screw.

Then the plastic wheel well trim. Simple pull to remove. Then more pulling from the top and sides, and the whole bumper cover will hang by the remaining fasteners at the bottom. Your Jeep should look like this.

Grill removal was next, and a pry tool is your best friend at this stage. You can easily see the tabs that hold the gill in place. Pry them out in the right direction, and you're good.

Once all of the old grill is removed, hand pressure will secure and snap in the new.

Now it's all a matter of putting it back together in reverse order. If you were careful, you can re-use your plastic rivets, if not, they're cheap at any automotive store. A little whack with your fist gets most clips back together.

The whole thing took MAYBE 45 minutes. Hope this helps someone else who is considering changing their grill. Easier than it looks.

·
Registered
2015 3.6L WK2
5 Posts
Huge improvement- thanks for sharing. Are your grill and fog light rings just plastidipped? I like the matte finish contrast

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in doing the same to my 2018 GC Altitude. Did you go with the mopar replacement grill or an Amazon knock off for half the price? Also, did your method put any added stress on the bottom bumper/fasteners or fog lights?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did exactly as was suggested in the post. To prevent too much stress on the lower fascia bolts and pins I simply put a Rubbermaid bin under the license plate to hold up the bumper. It worked out awesome, I love how the honeycomb grill now matches the lower grill. I bought the inserts on amazon for $40... and they seem to be legit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today my honeycomb grill arrived for my 16 Laredo. Lots of videos on YouTube suggested removing the entire front bumper cover, but here is how I did this without TOTALLY removing it. Here is how I started out.

Then i started by removing the two top plastic rivets inside the engine bay.

Next was the sides of the bumper cover. Two plastic rivets and a 10mm screw.

Then the plastic wheel well trim. Simple pull to remove. Then more pulling from the top and sides, and the whole bumper cover will hang by the remaining fasteners at the bottom. Your Jeep should look like this.

Grill removal was next, and a pry tool is your best friend at this stage. You can easily see the tabs that hold the gill in place. Pry them out in the right direction, and you're good.

Once all of the old grill is removed, hand pressure will secure and snap in the new.

Now it's all a matter of putting it back together in reverse order. If you were careful, you can re-use your plastic rivets, if not, they're cheap at any automotive store. A little whack with your fist gets most clips back together.

The whole thing took MAYBE 45 minutes. Hope this helps someone else who is considering changing their grill. Easier than it looks.
THIS IS FANTASTIC!! BEST EVER - YOU HAVE SAVED ME A TON OF WORK!
2016 JGC OVERLAND W/HIGH ALTITUDE PACKAGE/5.7L
THANKS AGAIN!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts