Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I hope this is the correct sub-board. I'm looking for advice for troubleshooting this problem as my one and only local dealership has tried multiple things but to no avail.

This problem is intermittent, and often difficult to reproduce at-will. But when it happens it's BAD.

Per the subject line this is about a 2016 turbo diesel 4wd Overland model.

When the vehicle is at moderate to highway speeds (it can happen at 45 mph or a 80mph, and anywhere in between) and when you apply gentle acceleration, as if to maintain your speed, the engine begins to shake very noticeable, and you can feel it throughout the cabin. That is if the kids' car seats are in the back, you will hear them begin to rattle like crazy when this happens. It rattles for a number of seconds, maybe between 3 seconds, up to 10 seconds, and then it adjusts and the shake goes away. This will happen repeatedly during the ride when this happens. Then, in the same day, the next time we start it up, the problem may be gone! But then it might come back again that same day! Maddening!!

Dealership techs already flashed software, applied multiple software recall updates, replaced air and fuel filters.

We believe that this first started happening after it's very first oil change. Coincidentally (or not) that same oil change resulted in oil leaking because the oil cap was not tightened sufficiently. They later topped it off and re-tightened that oil cap.

I very much appreciate and thank you in advance for your ideas and suggestions!

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,806 Posts
Greetings all. I hope this is the correct sub-board. I'm looking for advice for troubleshooting this problem as my one and only local dealership has tried multiple things but to no avail.

This problem is intermittent, and often difficult to reproduce at-will. But when it happens it's BAD.

Per the subject line this is about a 2016 turbo diesel 4wd Overland model.

When the vehicle is at moderate to highway speeds (it can happen at 45 mph or a 80mph, and anywhere in between) and when you apply gentle acceleration, as if to maintain your speed, the engine begins to shake very noticeable, and you can feel it throughout the cabin. That is if the kids' car seats are in the back, you will hear them begin to rattle like crazy when this happens. It rattles for a number of seconds, maybe between 3 seconds, up to 10 seconds, and then it adjusts and the shake goes away. This will happen repeatedly during the ride when this happens. Then, in the same day, the next time we start it up, the problem may be gone! But then it might come back again that same day! Maddening!!

Dealership techs already flashed software, applied multiple software recall updates, replaced air and fuel filters.

We believe that this first started happening after it's very first oil change. Coincidentally (or not) that same oil change resulted in oil leaking because the oil cap was not tightened sufficiently. They later topped it off and re-tightened that oil cap.

I very much appreciate and thank you in advance for your ideas and suggestions!
One possibility is that it's a very bad transmission torque converter shudder. It sounds a bit extreme for that but who knows. The Tconverter on many vehicles is programmed to modulate the lockup clutch to less than 100% under certain conditions. The slipping is supposed to smooth out engine roughness but if the TC itself is having problems it can create it's own roughness. Fords had this happen all the time about 10 years ago.

·
Quadra-Drive II
2020 Trailhawk
796 Posts
I would have the dealer check the engine mounts. There could be one that needs tightened or replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts