Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum so apologies if there are lengthy discussions on this. I did do a search and couldn't find anything about relatively new models.

I'm looking into a 2018-2020 WK2. Most likely a limited model. I've been doing quite a bit of research and know that 2011, 2017 seem like bad years for reliability. Even 2018 doesn't seem like it gets great reviews but I wanted to reach out to folks who have been driving these vehicles.

I would be looking for a car that I could "drive into the ground". Something that I could use for light/medium offroading for camping/hiking/ski trips and am a bit unsure of the WK2, but please convince me otherwise!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

I didn't know the 2018s had a reliability issue. I've owned my 2018 High Altitude for nearly two years and the only problem I've had so far was bubbling paint at the front edge of the hood. The dealer took care of that with no hassle.

I did buy a Mopar lifetime warranty and since I plan to keep this 10+ years I figure it will be put to good use eventually.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
113 Posts
Haven't had any issues on my 2017, only bought the 8year maxcare warranty tho. One thing I like more about 2017 vs the 2018+ is that the OBD port isn't locked (something you might want to consider). Any model that has air suspension, you can do a bypass upgrade (3rd party).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard. :)

I didn't know the 2018s had a reliability issue. I've owned my 2018 High Altitude for nearly two years and the only problem I've had so far was bubbling paint at the front edge of the hood. The dealer took care of that with no hassle.

I did buy a Mopar lifetime warranty and since I plan to keep this 10+ years I figure it will be put to good use eventually.
Thanks! Glad to hear it. How many miles do you have on your 2018? I don't think its anything as bad as the 2011 models from what I've read, but it was below average for the year based on JD power.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,806 Posts
I'm not a big fan of CR but for what it's worth...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Wow that definitely makes me want to take a 2nd look.
My thoughts... Compared to 20 - 30 years ago there really is not a huge difference in "quality" and "reliability" between makes. I can remember when many Ford 6's were shot by 20 to 40K miles. Many ford V8s in the 60s/70s needed a valve job by 80K. Early/mid 70's GM transmissions were lucky to last 70K. Today most engines and transmissions last 150K to 300K. But companies that make money off "rating vehicles" need to keep selling the ratings. So they have devised statistics which make tiny differences look like huge differences. JD Power likes to show defects per 100 vehicles, say in first year. So a Hyundai might be 200 and a Mercedes 100. Looks like the Hyundai is twice as troublesome as the Mercedes, a real nightmare to own right?. But what's it mean for YOUR car. YOUR single Hyundai is likely to have 2 problems (loose radiator clamp and leaking rear shock) and the Mercedes you didn't buy has 1 problem (Cooling fan inop). Is that really a significant difference? Yes, statistically one is twice as bad as the other but Is that really a significant difference to YOU? It would be if you were the manufacturer and had to pay for it. But most likely each car required one trip to the dealer to fix the 2 (or the 1) problem. On a per car basis not such a big deal but the way they present the statistics (per 100 vehicles instead of per 1 vehicle) it looks like the Hyundai's are falling apart compared to the Mercedes.

What has CR done? They look at ALL the trouble reports. Even if ALL the vehicles are really really good some will be gooder or badder than others. So they take that tiny little range of problems and stretch it from GOOD on one end to HORRIBLE on the other and that's how they rate it. If ALL cars on average have a problems with 2% of their AC systems and Ford has problems with 2.4% Ford gets a below average rating for AC in their chart, 3% with problems might get them a sold red dot, really bad. To the individual car owner this level of "trouble" compared to "average" is so trivial that no one would care. Sure, the manufacturer would care, he foots the bills for 25,000 additional AC repairs compared to the "average" manufacturer. But the individual owner, he can't tell the difference. Because CR doesn't release the DATA, just the colored dots, you have no way to know if that "below average rating" on a particular vehicle actually means anything you should worry about. It might be significant or it might be Trivial, no way to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thoughts... Compared to 20 - 30 years ago there really is not a huge difference in "quality" and "reliability" between makes. I can remember when many Ford 6's were shot by 20 to 40K miles. Many ford V8s in the 60s/70s needed a valve job by 80K. Early/mid 70's GM transmissions were lucky to last 70K. Today most engines and transmissions last 150K to 300K. But companies that make money off "rating vehicles" need to keep selling the ratings. So they have devised statistics which make tiny differences look like huge differences. JD Power likes to show defects per 100 vehicles, say in first year. So a Hyundai might be 200 and a Mercedes 100. Looks like the Hyundai is twice as troublesome as the Mercedes, a real nightmare to own right?. But what's it mean for YOUR car. YOUR single Hyundai is likely to have 2 problems (loose radiator clamp and leaking rear shock) and the Mercedes you didn't buy has 1 problem (Cooling fan inop). Is that really a significant difference? Yes, statistically one is twice as bad as the other but Is that really a significant difference to YOU? It would be if you were the manufacturer and had to pay for it. But most likely each car required one trip to the dealer to fix the 2 (or the 1) problem. On a per car basis not such a big deal but the way they present the statistics (per 100 vehicles instead of per 1 vehicle) it looks like the Hyundai's are falling apart compared to the Mercedes.

What has CR done? They look at ALL the trouble reports. Even if ALL the vehicles are really really good some will be gooder or badder than others. So they take that tiny little range of problems and stretch it from GOOD on one end to HORRIBLE on the other and that's how they rate it. If ALL cars on average have a problems with 2% of their AC systems and Ford has problems with 2.4% Ford gets a below average rating for AC in their chart, 3% with problems might get them a sold red dot, really bad. To the individual car owner this level of "trouble" compared to "average" is so trivial that no one would care. Sure, the manufacturer would care, he foots the bills for 25,000 additional AC repairs compared to the "average" manufacturer. But the individual owner, he can't tell the difference. Because CR doesn't release the DATA, just the colored dots, you have no way to know if that "below average rating" on a particular vehicle actually means anything you should worry about. It might be significant or it might be Trivial, no way to know.
This is helpful and I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from. I think outside of the lemon cars, you are going to find the the average vehicle has relatively good reliability. For me, I ask the question because I'm looking for something I can keep driving and driving with less headaches than whatever the alternative might be.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This is helpful and I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from. I think outside of the lemon cars, you are going to find the the average vehicle has relatively good reliability. For me, I ask the question because I'm looking for something I can keep driving and driving with less headaches than whatever the alternative might be.
If you are looking at long term and not having a warranty the air suspension is likely to be what gets you. If you read the forums water pumps are common, radiators are common, motor mounts are common. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else that seems to really come up over and over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have ever received a CR survey you will see that the questions can be rather miss leading and very subjective as to what is a problem, so take the reviews as a guide more than gospel.
I had a 2011 WK2 that I traded for a 2017. Had no issues with the 2011, traded it with 70K miles mostly because I changed jobs, was doing more highway driving, and wanted the adaptive cruise control. It had the 5.7 Hemi. Changed the oil, plugs and tires, that's it. Only warrantee work was the seat heater.

Same so far for the 2017, 50K miles to date. Only been to the dealer for a recall and oil changes. General maintenance and tires is all I have had to do to it. Love the Adaptive Cruise control.
Hoping I didn't jinx myself with this post. I have always maintained my vehicles well and had few issues with them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
106 Posts
I’ve had 1 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2 Wrangler TJ’s, an 04 WJ, a 2011 WK2 and our current 14 WK2 they’ve all been lifted and heavily modded so I’ve become somewhat well versed on them. Let me say that are more of a love’em or hate’em for most people. As just about all manufactures have their “one” big seller. Jeep has several models in each category and I think they still do it better and for longer than anyone else. Get yourself a GC, or a 4 door Wrangler, you’ll either love it or hate it but I’m leaning on you loving it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a 2014 GC Limited 4x4 for four years, 50K mikes. No issues. Traded it for a 2018 Trailhawk, now at almost 30K and no issues. I‘ve always kept up on maintenance and rarely have auto issues. I love my GC and it’s still a joy to drive every day!

·
Premium Member
2019 GC HA
39 Posts
2019 High Altitude Hemi 4x4. Bought new Nov 18. Almost at 50K miles with some highway, but mostly country roads. No real off-roading. The only issue was a center screen replaced around 12k miles. Took the tech 10 mins to replace. I do have the Lifetime Mopar Maxcare warranty w/$100 deductible. So far have not needed it, but bought it to cover the air suspension down the line if there are issues. Love this vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2018 Laredo. 65,000 miles and only had oil changes and air filters. All new cars seem to be pretty reliable nowadays. I’d maybe be a little weary of some of the Fiat based FCA products and maybe Mini. Even my recent Volkswagens have been excellent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree that CR seems to nitpick issues with vehicles, especially domestic brands.

I know it's not in your year range, but I have a `15 Altitude that I bought brand new and now have over 75k miles on it.

It's been in for warranty work for 2 separate items. First was missing/loose starter bolts that made it unable to start. That was within the first 6 months of ownership. Second was the infamous rocker arm/cam follower tick for the 3.6L four years into ownership. Completely covered under the the 7/100k powertrain warranty.

Currently I think I may have an issue with the driver's side seat heater, but until I get multiple issues to take in under the lifetime extended warranty, I'll deal with it. It works initially, but shuts off after 15 minutes and will not turn back on at all until the next restart.

FWIW, EVERY make/dealership has a service department and ALL vehicles will breakdown at some point. I just think we're so accustomed to vehicles really being reliable on the major items, it's the minor items now that get it in the shop more often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts