Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was getting my oil change done over the weekend and the mechanic mentioned that my rear diff fluid is low (not sure how as he took maybe 20 seconds to make the call but i have no clue).

Anyone have any experience with getting the rear diff fluid changed? I looked at the maintenance schedule on here but wasn't sure: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#TCASE

Thank you!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
In your glove compartment is an Owners Manual (OM) with a maintenance schedule in it and advising what fluids to use in the vehicle.

If you do not have one (no kidding, so few people ever looked at them, FCA stopped putting them in the vehicles and almost no one noticed) there will be a note that if you're a first time buyer you can call a certain number and have one sent to you. The note might be inside the Quick Start Guide. If you're not the first time buyer, you can either pay for one or go to the Jeep Website and download an electronic copy for free.

Differentials do not burn oil, so if you're low, then you have a leak....

There is a drain plug and fill plug, the vehicle has to be level to check the fluid level, it just takes a second to pull the fill plug (if you have the right tools) and check if the fluid weeps out.

The OM will tell how to check the fluid level, Chrysler/FCA is one that states the proper level is within 1/2" of the bottom of the fill plug, and not necessarily needs to be at the fill port and weeping out.... ...so its very possible whomever was changing oil didn't measure the level properly according to the OM, either the vehicle not level or assuming the fluid should be weeping out after opening it, when it might be that it needs to be within a certain distance of the fill port....

You'll see in the maintenance schedule for the differentials, something to the effect to check the fluid and change if necessary, or change fluid if using the vehicle for towing or off-road.... .....somehow we see people posting that they interpret this as the fluid never needing changing the whole life of the vehicle.... ....no it means what it says, you're suppose to check the fluid every so many miles, if the fluid looks good, you don't need to do anything, but if it looks bad or smells bad, then you should change it, and how are you going to know if it looks/smells bad if you don't check it?.....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
Diffs are super easy to service in these. I used Synthetic 75W-90 off the shelf at the parts store - Valvoline. I'm doing 40k mile intervals. Probably a bit early but fluid is cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In your glove compartment is an Owners Manual (OM) with a maintenance schedule in it and advising what fluids to use in the vehicle.

If you do not have one (no kidding, so few people ever looked at them, FCA stopped putting them in the vehicles and almost no one noticed) there will be a note that if you're a first time buyer you can call a certain number and have one sent to you. The note might be inside the Quick Start Guide. If you're not the first time buyer, you can either pay for one or go to the Jeep Website and download an electronic copy for free.

Differentials do not burn oil, so if you're low, then you have a leak....

There is a drain plug and fill plug, the vehicle has to be level to check the fluid level, it just takes a second to pull the fill plug (if you have the right tools) and check if the fluid weeps out.

The OM will tell how to check the fluid level, Chrysler/FCA is one that states the proper level is within 1/2" of the bottom of the fill plug, and not necessarily needs to be at the fill port and weeping out.... ...so its very possible whomever was changing oil didn't measure the level properly according to the OM, either the vehicle not level or assuming the fluid should be weeping out after opening it, when it might be that it needs to be within a certain distance of the fill port....

You'll see in the maintenance schedule for the differentials, something to the effect to check the fluid and change if necessary, or change fluid if using the vehicle for towing or off-road.... .....somehow we see people posting that they interpret this as the fluid never needing changing the whole life of the vehicle.... ....no it means what it says, you're suppose to check the fluid every so many miles, if the fluid looks good, you don't need to do anything, but if it looks bad or smells bad, then you should change it, and how are you going to know if it looks/smells bad if you don't check it?.....
Thanks for this, going to try and check it out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
At 30,000 service for my '17 3.6L the dealer told me my diff fluid needed changing also ... stated that it had metal shavings in it from normal wear. I did not believe them, but I had them change anyway.

Read my post about it here: https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/jeep-dealer-service-atlanta-ga.221017/#post-2021223555

When asked by the "Service Advisor" on the follow up about concerns that I might submit a bad survey, I sent her a long email expressing my concerns about the dealer just pushing fluid changes and asking if the diff fluid "having metal shavings" was a sign of a bigger problem .. NO RESPONSE. I did not respond to the survey sent by FCA. I also will now not trust the dealer and change fluids only as specified in the service schedule. She had also mentioned a coolant change and a power steering change (I told her it was 100% electric!) were needed in the near future. I have Mopar Lifetime Maxcare on my Jeep.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
Oh good job. FYI there is no service interval for the transmission, lifetime fluid and all. Pair that with MaxCare and they can change the fluid when they rebuild it and you just have to pay the $100 deductible. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would get a 2nd opinion. Unnecessary fluid changes are easy money for shops and doesn’t hurt the vehicle. And as said above, if it’s truly low, need to find out why.
Otherwise, mine was changed at 65,000 miles or so. Based on color, not miles or months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts