Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a 1.5 year old 2017 JGC.
I took it for its first oil change a while back, and did not wait for the light to come on.
I have been watching the percentage indicator and let it get down to 5 percent, hoping that the light would come on and the dashboard would chime. It always happened at 15% oil life when I had a different car. It is now in the red and at 5 percent oil life. When I scroll through my screens, it says Change Oil Soon. However, if I did not scroll through the screens to see this under messages, there is no indicator I need to change it. No noise, no light on, nothing. when I scroll over, I see the message and then the red oil lamp. There is nothing on the dash like normally comes up with low tire pressure, check engine, etc.

Can somebody help me?????? I don't understand why it isnt working or making noise or reminding me like I see everyone else's does.
THANK YOU

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
It seems you should ask your dealer about the issue with the warning.

That said, you "know" you're due for your oil change per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and should get that done. 10K miles/1 Year/When-the-Jeep-Says-To, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am going to ask the dealer when I go get in changed, I was just curious if anyone else had this issue because I have had a bunch of issues since buying the car brand new in Nov. 2017.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello, I have a 1.5 year old 2017 JGC.
I took it for its first oil change a while back, and did not wait for the light to come on.
I have been watching the percentage indicator and let it get down to 5 percent, hoping that the light would come on and the dashboard would chime. It always happened at 15% oil life when I had a different car. It is now in the red and at 5 percent oil life. When I scroll through my screens, it says Change Oil Soon. However, if I did not scroll through the screens to see this under messages, there is no indicator I need to change it. No noise, no light on, nothing. when I scroll over, I see the message and then the red oil lamp. There is nothing on the dash like normally comes up with low tire pressure, check engine, etc.

Can somebody help me?????? I don't understand why it isnt working or making noise or reminding me like I see everyone else's does.
THANK YOU
Don't EVER trust the oil indicator in your car. Always go off mileage and what type of driving the car has seen - towing, highway, racing, etc. The indicator is a bunch of bogus. Not hard to keep track of oil changes every 5 - 7.5k miles

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
Don't EVER trust the oil indicator in your car. Always go off mileage and what type of driving the car has seen - towing, highway, racing, etc. The indicator is a bunch of bogus. Not hard to keep track of oil changes every 5 - 7.5k miles
Umm, the oil indicator light goes off of mileage, what type of driving the car has seen, towing, highway, racing, etc..... ...to include how much time the engine operates warming up and not at full operating temp, the biggest reason why people that think they drive their car mildly are really driving their car in severe usage, but don't know it.....

In many ways the computer tracks it better than you do, but the computer isn't as smart as a human being and has sensors to tell if conditions are excessively wet, dusty or lots of salt on the road, etc, etc....

So, I'd agree the computer is not the end all, be all, but I disagree that its bogus or worthless.

If I had a vehicle approaching a whole year and 10k miles on the same oil, I'd also be too nervous to wait for the light to go off. I'd probably change the oil and use synthetic if I wanted to wait a whole year / 10k miles for the oil change light to go off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Umm, the oil indicator light goes off of mileage, what type of driving the car has seen, towing, highway, racing, etc..... ...to include how much time the engine operates warming up and not at full operating temp, the biggest reason why people that think they drive their car mildly are really driving their car in severe usage, but don't know it.....

In many ways the computer tracks it better than you do, but the computer isn't as smart as a human being and has sensors to tell if conditions are excessively wet, dusty or lots of salt on the road, etc, etc....

So, I'd agree the computer is not the end all, be all, but I disagree that its bogus or worthless.

If I had a vehicle approaching a whole year and 10k miles on the same oil, I'd also be too nervous to wait for the light to go off. I'd probably change the oil and use synthetic if I wanted to wait a whole year / 10k miles for the oil change light to go off.
Every car I've had with an oil life indicator goes off of mileage and not conditional usage. I've gone by the indicator before, and the oil is so worn that it stains my hand. I'll stick to my 7.5k regular oil changes and 5k if I'm towing

·
Registered
327 Posts
I always change before the indicator comes on. Like jjc says above around 7.5k on average. It is just habit. I don't put many miles on my car so that happens maybe every 9-10 months.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Every car I've had with an oil life indicator goes off of mileage and not conditional usage. I've gone by the indicator before, and the oil is so worn that it stains my hand. I'll stick to my 7.5k regular oil changes and 5k if I'm towing
All late model Grand Cherokees use a sophisticated algorithm that includes stop/start cycle duration, coolant/oil temps, mileage, rpms, etc. to calculate
Oil life. Previous versions only counted down mileage.

The current version cannot detect driving in dusty conditions or measure total time since the previous change which is why FCA says to change annually no matter what.

Reactions: jjc034

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
2014RedHemiGC has it right. Read your O.M. it will describe the oil change indicator. If it describes a reminder that goes off after a certain mileage, then it is like you describe, if it talks about an algorithm that takes into account the number of start, engine warm-up, etc then its the more sophisticated type that does track actual conditional usage better than most owners ever track or even understand about oil usage.

But I think we all agree it can NOT detect some of the most extreme conditions, nor track the time since the last oil change, so there is an element of the Owner has to be smarter than the oil change indicator.

And if you make short trips with your vehicle, that is about the toughest duty on an engine and its oil.

My 2010 XK had the more sophisticated oil change indicator, with a 7500 oil change recommendation. Then my wife, now my ex, drove it only 2.5 miles at a time, that oil change indicator went off at 4500-5000 miles every time, much shorter than the recommended change interval, so that's proof to me its works somewhat right at least......

Oh, and dirt in the oil is not a good indicator if it needs to be changed, true too dirty of oil will need to be changed, but oil that leaves a dark stain doesn't mean it needs to be changed. The best indicator IMO is oil pressure, note the oil pressure for certain points (like warmed up idle and/or what engine rpm do you hit max oil pressure [there's a relief valve that suppose to keep the oil pressure under a certain pressure]), check that just after an oil change and check it time to time. In my vehicles I have noticed when an oil change is coming due, the oil is making a few psi less or takes a few rpm more to hit max, than when its new. Fluids "Sheer" down, the lubricating property of the oil comes from the molecules being so long, usage will cause the molecules to break in half (sheer) and thus they lose viscosity and lubrication.

Dirt? Personally I wipe the dipstick on a clean rag or paper towel and look at the stain. If there is some dirt in the oil, there will be a black stain in the center, but the outer edges where the oil is wicking out through the fabric/paper is honey gold color. There is only a little dirt oil in the oil. When I get a stain that is all black, including the oil wicking out through the cloth/paper, IMO that's too dirty, its just not a little dirt suspended in the detergent of the oil, its dirt throughout the oil through and through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts