Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone

I'm having an issue with my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit edition.

With the recent snowfall here in Texas, I took the opportunity to take my son out to an empty parking lot and do a bunch of donuts on the snow (maybe 5-10 min worth). I turned off the stability control before starting, however at the end I did get a warning about service 4WD. It went away and hasn't returned. I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I wasn't going to pass up a rare opportunity.

However, every time I drive now there is a thumping/knocking noise coming from the car that is directly tied to the wheel movement, i.e. the noise repeats slowly when driving slowly and speeds up when accelerating. It's definitely more noticeable when turning at slow speed, I believe more so when turning left.

There is no snow packed in the wheel well and I don't see anything obvious when I jacked it up and tried to investigate.

Any ideas? Maybe I stripped the differential?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have to drive a long distance in the coming weeks so it's not something I can ignore.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,004 Posts
Any ideas? Maybe I stripped the differential?
I'd think its more likely you damaged a CV Joint on one of the axle CV driveshafts, the symptoms you describe sound like the symptoms of bad CV joint.

Lets keep our fingers crossed its just snow packed up in the underside making the noise. But the exhaust is so close to the drivetrain in this vehicle, I doubt packed snow would last very long on the centerline of drivetrain parts.

Snow or water splashed on the catalytic converters can cause a rumble noise that can sound like possible or drivetrain as the cause, but it only last a minute or two as the CAT quickly melts/evaporates it away...... ....what you describe doesn't sound like the CAT rumble.....

·
Registered
JGC
318 Posts
If you have MaxCare, take it to the dealer as soon as possible and do not tell them what you were doing. Just explain the symptoms and let them diagnose it. May be completely unrelated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have MaxCare, take it to the dealer as soon as possible and do not tell them what you were doing. Just explain the symptoms and let them diagnose it. May be completely unrelated.
Thanks. I don't think I do, I've never heard of it and I usually don't buy extended warranty. I do have pictures of it now though, there's definitely damage and I'm trying to figure out hard it is to do myself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks. I don't think I do, I've never heard of it and I usually don't buy extended warranty. I do have pictures of it now though, there's definitely damage and I'm trying to figure out hard it is to do myself.
Did you ever find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for checking in. I put the car up on jacks and definitely found the problem, photos are attached. This is going to be one of those things that will bother me forever, because I'm 100% confident we didn't hit anything so I can't imagine it would just snap like this from doing circles, makes me really nervous about how sturdy Jeeps actually are.

Bill to fix it is $700. Still worth every penny. I debated doing it myself but I've got so much going on, I don't need the aggravation that would surely come with it.
Jeep 7.jpg Jeep 8.jpg Jeep 9.jpg Jeep 10.jpg Jeep 11.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts