Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a post similar to this but a pop-up suggested I create a new one due to its age.

Hi everyone. My 2017 Summit driver side xenon bulb has gone yello/pink-ish and pops on and off, mostly off now. Is that the bulb burning out? Ballast? Thoughts?

I think I can get to the back of the driver side xenon bulb by taking off the air intake assembly. Is that the best way to get to it? Also is the model with automatic height adjustment any different to replace the bulb?

Hopefully it is just the bulb. Let me know what you think?

Thx Jeepers

· Registered
201 Posts
Probably the bulb. Swap the bulbs side to side and see what you get. If not then ballast is next likely culprit.

· Registered
1 Posts
The bulb is definitely on it's way out. I would change them both(Driver and Passenger) as soon as possible since the ballast has to work harder to ignite the Xenon bulb. The ballast itself can be quite pricey if it needs to be replaced. From what you are describing, it's just the bulb going out.

· Registered
80 Posts
Riz, I had the same problem and swapping out the bulb did the trick. It took about 10-15min per side and if you have big hands then prepare to get your knuckles pulverized.

I will say that I’m not as impressed with the OE bulb’s road illumination. Reading board posts I discovered the OE’s yellowish color is best for foggy/rainy conditions as yellow light can pierce through those conditions resulting in safer visibility for everyone.

When driving next to a Tesla or any luxury brand they have true 180 road illumination and objects are really visible down the road. Yes, I’m in the suburbs with tons of street lights but the few times I’m down a small unlit road I cannot really see road objects “well” until they’re about 10ft away (pot holes for instance). Overall, the OE Osram bulbs are passable but examine your night time driving scenarios (and your weather) to see if going to the whiter bulbs is a better move.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts