Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought brand new 2018 jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I have 72,000 miles on it and warning light came on for four-wheel-drive unavailable. Took to dealership and I understand that I need a new transfer case. They quoted me $3400. Of course it’s out of warranty, Yet only three years old. So incredibly disappointed with this Jeep,so many issues. Really wished I had done more research prior to spending $40,000.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seriously? I am new to this forum as I went online to see if any other people were experiencing the same issue with a 3 year old Cherokee. I thought that this would be a venue where I could become more familiar with the brand I own and perhaps someone could chime in with a legitimate suggestion or idea. Troll? you have got to be kidding... I like to believe that there are genuine people out there that know more about this situation, not simply people who want to make snide remarks and jump to conclusions. Frustrated and angry to have to pay $3410 for a new transfer case for a car I bought brand new 3 years and 2 months ago... yes. A troll? sorry... no.

· Registered
54 Posts
seriously? I am new to this forum as I went online to see if any other people were experiencing the same issue with a 3 year old Cherokee. I thought that this would be a venue where I could become more familiar with the brand I own and perhaps someone could chime in with a legitimate suggestion or idea. Troll? you have got to be kidding... I like to believe that there are genuine people out there that know more about this situation, not simply people who want to make snide remarks and jump to conclusions. Frustrated and angry to have to pay $3410 for a new transfer case for a car I bought brand new 3 years and 2 months ago... yes. A troll? sorry... no.
Was there anything you can say about how you were using it? Off road? Which of the four wheel modes were you using alot of? What was it doing that told you it was not working properly?
I use my Insurance companies extended warranty instead of the dealer so I have a second opinion if there is a problem.

Also; Fiat owns a few other Italian car companies, Alfa Romeo, Masarati, and recently sold Fararri. There is alot of influence from these other companies in the Jeeps.

· Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
397 Posts
What does American have to do with it? Even mass produced American items have issues....

Besides, My statement is correct that the OP is a troll. He/she only has 1 post, which is this post.
If you are having an episode, don’t go on this forum. Or it seems, you don’t know much about vehicles. Maybe OP has one post because they didn’t need one before???

· Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
397 Posts
Maybe you can call Jeep cares and they can work something out? It is pretty shocking for a 3yr old car to have issues but have you driven it off road a lot or stressed it?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Central Florida and can count on one hand the number of times I have put it into four wheel drive since buying. I do not go off-road, but do travel about 450 miles per week on highways for work. I had a warning show up two days ago that said "4 wheel drive unavailable- service required". I drove to dealership, they kept overnight. Called me yesterday to tell me it needed a new transfer case, $3410. I asked if it was safe to drive in 2 wheel and they said the car would eventually "shut down".. they did not know if it would happen tomorrow, next week, or next year. I asked how I would know when it was going to happen and they said it would get loud and make grinding noises...but right now, I am not hearing anything like that. In researching online, I am seeing that there were similar issues with 2014-2017 models as well. I do not know a whole lot about the car, that's why I am here seeking some input. Thanks all,

· Registered
Trailhawk
1,011 Posts
Extended warra
Extended warranty. Why you always buy one

· Registered
304 Posts
Extended warra

Extended warranty. Why you always buy one
I generally agree, and I also bought one for mine because it's good insurance against a major mechanical issue, but if OP's only problem was this transfer case, then they probably still came out ahead not buying the extended warranty, which are usually $5k+

Also it's worth taking a look at buying your own transfer case and doing the replacement yourself - I don't know what kind of work that entails, but a quick google search shows you should be able to buy a new transfer case for around $1500. I wouldn't want to spend $2000 on labor for something I can do myself in a weekend, but maybe that's just me.

· Registered
54 Posts
I don't think she is going to do it herself, so looking for a shop that does 4X4 work is the way to do it.
I didn't take the dealer warranty and they kept lowering the price I forgot what it got down to but it was under 3K or maybe 2.

Like I said before I use my insurance co extended warranty. From Geico its $45 dollars to start and $5 a month for
100K or 7 years. The real reason is to get a second opinion besides the dealer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Bought brand new 2018 jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I have 72,000 miles on it and warning light came on for four-wheel-drive unavailable. Took to dealership and I understand that I need a new transfer case. They quoted me $3400. Of course it’s out of warranty, Yet only three years old. So incredibly disappointed with this Jeep,so many issues. Really wished I had done more research prior to spending $40,000.
I have some experience troubleshooting Jeep Cherokee 4WD issues. I am 90 percent sure that you do not need to replace the transfer case, most likely a problem with the downshift and all-wheel drive actuator. Very often this problem is fixed by cleaning the actuator or servicing the actuator motor. True, for this it is necessary to remove and disassemble the PTU, and this is quite a laborious job.

· Registered
1 Posts
don't feel alone, I just had to replace mine too on a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 69k miles. I just purchased a extended warranty for my car, just incase things go south with it again in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts