Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audio Build Thread - 2018 Grand Cherokee Altitude (First Post)

(i posted this on facebook but figred I'd make this searchable years down the line should someone else look to do the same)

Audiophiles! I'm in the middle of a custom sound build on my 2018 Grand Cherokee to replace the OK-at-best Alpine 9-speaker system. I'm posting this write-up in case any of you decide to do the same and will update this thread in exactly 10-days when I have all my parts installed. it's taking so long because I'll be in Panama for the next 8 days on vacation. I've listed the order below and will update with pictures of the custom amplifier racks and enclosures once completed.

First, the entire car is being fitted with Dynamat Extreme to reduce volume loss and eliminate any sort of rattle or shaking.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/car-audio/dynamat-xtreme/

After the Dynamat, I wanted to ensure that the car had the appropriate speakers because I intend to own it for the next 4 years at minimum so replacing these twice doesn't make any sense to me. I replaced the factory 6x9's with Focal PS 165 FX Components that were handmade in France. These things are the shit, I've never heard such clarity from a set of 6.5's until these and now I'm spoiled and wont go back after being a Polk guy for most of my life. Four of these things could wake sleeping beauty from her slumber.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pJSYbMMiGZN/p_091PS165FX/Focal-Performance-PS-165FX.html

For the sub-woofer solution, I wanted to maintain the factory look and storage was VERY important to me so I opted for the JL Audio Stealh Box custom made for the car fitted with the incredible 10w3v3. This thing KNOCKS when powered correctly.

Car Audio - Stealthbox® - Jeep - Grand Cherokee - Jeep Grand Cherokee '11-Up

I chose to power the mids and highs with the Rockford Fosgate POWER 600x4. This gives a running RMS of 150 to each speaker which is paramount if you're going to get the proper performance out of the Focal's. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THIS STEP or you will waste the potential of $600 speakers.

Power 600 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier | Rockford Fosgate ®

I am running a Rockford Fosgate POWER 1000.1 Monoblock to the 10w3v3. I probably dont need to say much about this lol.

Power 1,000 Watt Class-bd Constant Power Amplifier | Rockford Fosgate ®

For processing and tuning, im using the 8-Channel interactive Rockford Fosgate Signal Processor. This step is arguably the most important because the tweeters we run in our Jeep's are active. meaning they need their own channel to function properly and not muddy your sound quality. Tweeters (2), Speakers (4), Subwoofer (1) already amounts to 7 channels that are required so it doesnt make any sense to use a 6 channel and if you go this route, you can add the center speaker for the navigation and phone calls to the 8th channel on its own.

8-Channel Interactive Signal Processor w/ 248 Band Parametric EQ | Rockford Fosgate ®

I maintained the factory 8.4N with Carplay because I am a stock look kind-of-guy and I couldnt be happier with the choices in equipment I made. Fosgate has good deals going on right now for Christmas so you can save about a thousand bucks if you find an authorized retailer trying to move a few units.

I will post video's, pictures and audio clips once completed and remind myself to update this thread.

Let me know if you have any questions and i'm happy to help.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
What will be providing the input to your 3Sixty3? It'd be a shame to feed such good gear with a crappy signal...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Season Greetings,

Personally, I would put the JL Audio Fix82 in front of the 3.sixty.3 to clean up the signal. The bottom line, the Uconnect input devices are not know for any quality. The USB input is most likely the best source to connect.

IMHO, my experience with the RF 3.sixty.3, I consider it an average dsp and I was disappointed. Unless, the latest generations of the unit are made better, maybe. I would look into AudioControl. I will be moving onto the Helix Pro unit next summer.

Best for now.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts