Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,508 Posts
You sure about that? Jefferson North is the only place to have built the Grand Cherokee. Are you sure this wasn't originally sold in Canada? If so there have been some reports of problems getting the warranty honored.

·
Registered
GC SRT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure about that? Jefferson North is the only place to have built the Grand Cherokee. Are you sure this wasn't originally sold in Canada? If so there have been some reports of problems getting the warranty honored.
That's my hope, build in MI for Canada sale... see the sticker below.

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
There may be content differences between vehicles intended for Canada sale and there would unlikely be any warranty from FCA if it's not being sold in and staying in Canada.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,120 Posts
I know there are some differences. I'm not sure that the Canadian models have the cellular system built in. There may also be problems registering a Canadian vehicle in the US without modifications or at least expensive inspections. Better check all that stuff out before considering it.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
968 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
Still built at Jefferson North in Detroit...JGC is not built anywhere else, but intended for a non-US market which is where warranty, etc., comes into play.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was looking for a used SRT there were tons flooding the market from Canada. I didn't consider the cellular piece of the puzzle so glad that was mentioned. Since the SRT has a non-digital speedometer included the km/hr was an obvious difference.

I've read a lot of folks state that the warranty is an issue if a FCA vehicle is sold in Canada and enters the US however, when you look at Mopar site the first thing I read is "Any authorized Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT, Jeep® and Ram dealer throughout Canada and the United States can provide Service Contract repairs and covered services."

FWIW - When I was doing research and weighing my options I called Mopar US to ask if an extended service contract could be purchased for a Jeep sold in Canada and they said the only difference is that I'd needed to purchase the service contract from a Canadian dealership but the service contract could certainly be used in the US for repairs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can tell you that there is not a problem with factory warranty in all of North America - the only warranty related issues that may be a concern are anything related to some of the extended warranty items such as claims for overnight hotel stays if the vehicle has to be in a dealer overnight (I was told some US dealers may not honor the claim and would just have to submit those when I returned - however I had no need to test this ;) ).

The only other differences that I am aware of is maybe some different emission rules here (just as California is different from the rest of the US) and those for the Canadian market must have all the documentation to be bilingual.

As for the cellular side I don't see any issues, in fact when we had our "free data" trial activated on our '18HA the service was provided bu AT&T which does not have a Canadian branch (I assume it all went through a Canadian partner which I believe is Bell).

·
Registered
2016 Limited 5.7
4 Posts
I can personally attest to the fact that ANY FCA vehicle that was imported to the US from Canada will have it’s warranty voided. FCA is the only manufacturer to do this - they did it to help protect the used car values. Just went through this with a 2015 Jeep JKU with an oil starvation issue on the drivers side that fried the cam. I even called a Canadian dealer to see if I could get warranty service there. Nope! My advice - stay away from all FCA vehicles that were previously registered in Canada.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
I know there are some differences. I'm not sure that the Canadian models have the cellular system built in. There may also be problems registering a Canadian vehicle in the US without modifications or at least expensive inspections. Better check all that stuff out before considering it.
A lot of dealers/used car lots are now buying rentals/lightly used cars from Canada at dealer auctions and then selling them on their lots so you got to be careful anymore. I know of 1 reputable used car dealer in my area that has been getting used cars from Canada and then selling them. Got to be careful these days....

Used 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD for Sale in Dickson City PA 18519 Feel Good Motors Inc
If there were problems importing Canadian Vehicles into the U.S., like registering or requiring modifications; you wouldn't be seeing dealers and used car lots purchasing a lot of Canadian vehicles......

....yes its true there are laws about importing personal vehicles from a foreign country, and being required to modify them to meet U.S. standards....

The U.S. and Canada try to keep open trade as much as possible, they have many standards in common....
The only thing I'm aware of that differs is that Canada requires Daytime Running lights for all vehicles, which wouldn't be a problem in the U.S...... ....there may be more that I do NOT know, but again if they're were a real challenge, you wouldn't see so many Canadian vehicles being brought into the U.S..... ....I think crash and emissions standards are the same or close enough that they cross-over, i.e. Canada's might be a little less stringent but close enough they just build to the U.S. standard and it exceeds or meets Canada's standard as well...

That's not true of vehicles of many other cars, built for their own domestic models.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I was shopping for my Grand Cherokee last April, I found a used Durango that was a potential option. It was a used car dealer?rental in Florida. When I spoke with the salesman, it was explained to me the reason the pricing was so cheap compared to other vehicles of the same make, model and year.
They imported their vehicles from Canada. There was no warranty from FCA once it comes to the United States, and no chance of buying an extended warranty through FCA also.
This was my personal experience, just sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had "fleet" of about 12 like new Grand Cherokees for sale here that were unusually low priced. After attempting to get a competing dealer to match the price, the dealer told me that those were from Canada and, as such, did not have a warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Jeep JKU in Sept and it was from Canada, only thing I notice that could be different is the daytime running lights. The underside was undercoated real good and very little rust on the Jeep, but it only had less then 72,000 miles on it when I bought it also. I know my warranty is gone so that was no big deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts