Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car did an auto update overnight and it failed. I now have the message to contact the dealer ($$$$) and give them Error Code 20. Car appears to drive fine, but the uConnect screen and interior accent lights wont shut off so the batteries draining is my primary concern right now.

The only solution I could come up with is to disconnect the batteries so it doesn't kill them, but there has to be an easier way.

Does anyone have a solution to bring uConnect back to life or know where the fuse is for the uConnect system because there doesn't appear to be one in the main fuse box. Is it underneath the passenger seat or in the battery compartment underneath?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The car did an auto update overnight and it failed. I now have the message to contact the dealer ($$$$) and give them Error Code 20. Car appears to drive fine, but the uConnect screen and interior accent lights wont shut off so the batteries draining is my primary concern right now.

The only solution I could come up with is to disconnect the batteries so it doesn't kill them, but there has to be an easier way.

Does anyone have a solution to bring uConnect back to life or know where the fuse is for the uConnect system because there doesn't appear to be one in the main fuse box. Is it underneath the passenger seat or in the battery compartment underneath?
The same thing happened to me last night....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing that, Danny.

I bet this is happening to a lot of 2018 Grand Cherokee owners. I called uConnect and they agreed that it was their software update that bricked the unit, gave me a case number and said call the dealer with the case number. I suggest you do the same so you don't have to pay anything.

Appointment scheduled for next week to diagnose the problem and determine next steps. Still not thrilled that this could even happen and plan on shutting off all software updates going forward.

If anyone has a work around or known fix please let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aargh, I have the same problem... 2018 JGC TH. Called UConnect and got a case, but what a pain in the ass to have to take it to a dealer.

It drained my battery last night so now I have to disconnect the battery... there doesn't appear to be a fuse for the UConnect stack.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
66 Posts
I had tremendous trouble with mine & it ended up bricked. The dealer ended up replacing the entire head under warranty. It works fine now, but that's always in the back of my mind now. Started at the beginning of November '19. Finally got the replacement head installed in April '20. The dealer was helpless and ultimately, I went right to FCA who agreed to the head replacement. Weak spot in these otherwise fine vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Much appreciated.
I have a 2018 ram that did the same thing this morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Experience the same issue yesterday. First the GPS went crazy, showing me driving through fields a 1/2 mile away from where I was at. I made a stop, when I restarted the car, I got the message that a software update failed, error code: 20. My dealer doesn’t seem to know anything about it. I called UConnect, they gave me a case number to give the dealer. I just went out to start the car, the battery is dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill: Battery is underneath the passenger seat and you can access it best from the back seats. The jumper connections are shown in the manual. You need to disconnect both batteries, main and auxiliary battery (that powers the radio and digital instruments cluster) until you can get it to the dealer. Mine drove fine without the unit working.

Update: Chrysler is going to replace the unit free of charge because it was their over-the-air update, but I have to jump through 3 hoops to get the approval code for the dealer. Annoying, but better than paying. Apparently this update bricked the unit and it has to be replaced. Crazy that can even happen. Going to have the dealer turn off ALL future updates because I use my iPhone for navigation via Carplay and if its not broken don't fix it.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I bet this is happening to a lot of 2018 Grand Cherokee owners. I called uConnect and they agreed that it was their software update that bricked the unit, gave me a case number and said call the dealer with the case number. I suggest you do the same so you don't have to pay anything.

Appointment scheduled for next week to diagnose the problem and determine next steps. Still not thrilled that this could even happen and plan on shutting off all software updates going forward.

How do you shut off updates? I just had my unit ask me to schedule an update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you shut off updates? I just had my unit ask me to schedule an update.
There is a secret menu. I found a video on youtube that gives you access to it. Hopefully there is an option in there to shut off the updates, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order. My concern is draining the battery, which i just replaced. Not too mention the starter went out with the auto stop feature. 2018 JGC that I am now into for over $3k in service repairs. Jeep is not high on my list for future purchases.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I let mine update yesterday. Everything seems to be OK so far. It just dumped the radio presets, AM only. As far as the Stop/Start, that was the first thing I disabled when I bought it. It was almost a deal killer and I won't buy another vehicle with it. I'm tired of paying for big brother systems I don't want, will never use and then have to pay for something to disable them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I let mine update yesterday. Everything seems to be OK so far. It just dumped the radio presets, AM only. As far as the Stop/Start, that was the first thing I disabled when I bought it. It was almost a deal killer and I won't buy another vehicle with it. I'm tired of paying for big brother systems I don't want, will never use and then have to pay for something to disable them.
Yup, at least we have a button to disable it and that's become second nature. Won't ever look at cars without a button...talking about you Chevy and Subaru.

As far as the OTA update, my '18 TH updated with no problems and BT has improved greatly while playing music.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This works well and it's free. I use it frequently. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
This works well and it's free. I use it frequently. ;)

View attachment 232068
How true, but I remember the days when you could get in a car and drive it and not have to waste time remembering to disable an array of features forced upon us to placate various government entity's. Using my index finger to disable also did not refund me the cost of these unwanted systems or the future cost of repairs when they inevitably fail, although using my middle finger to disable while thinking about those bureaucrats did grant me a small bit of satisfaction. At least for a nominal cost, I do not have to remember to disable or waste time doing so since I installed the Smart Stop/Start on week one.

·
Registered
2018 GC Limited
18 Posts
So you don't plan on buying anymore new US made vehicles as the Auto Start/Stop feature is required on all US manufactured cars.

I also had this issue happen last night. Opened a case with uconnect and they told me the unit will need to be replaced on their dime. Went to the dealer this morning so they could pull the fuse for the screen so it wouldnt drain my battery (BTW it's somewhere in the battery compartment under the passenger seat) and they claim they will need to diagnose my problem THEN order the radio. Clearly the radio is shot as there are dozens of forum posts with this exact issue and the only resolution is to replace the unit. Frustrating, and making me second guess ever reccomending another FCA vehicle to someone or buying one myself.

I have been extremely happy with my vehicle up until now though, well other than the service at the dealership is TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So you don't plan on buying anymore new US made vehicles as the Auto Start/Stop feature is required on all US manufactured cars.
I'm about to buy a 2021 Dodge Challenger. No Stop/Start on it or the Charger or the Chrysler 300. Ram also does not have Stop/Start on most models.

·
Registered
2018 GC Limited
18 Posts
Maybe you were thinking about the backup camera. It recently became mandatory.
No I had thought I read somewhere that due to emissions rules it was required. Glad that isn't the case. Nonetheless my start/stop always shows the status of "Battery charging" and rarely acticates anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts