Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
Discussion Starter #1
Don't believe I've ever read any posts about putting skids on a High Altitude. I have seen them on a few Summits....Anyway I finally ordered the skids for my 2018 HA. Should be able to do them myself (I'm 60 years young) except for the two fuel tanks, I don't want to mess with that!. Also ordered the Transmission Belly Pan (covers transmission) Strange it's just hard plastic but better than nothing. Next will be some Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I've been on the fence about adding front tow hooks for the past 8 months because of cutting the fascia and am afraid it may look like crap. I haven't seen anyone do it with a newer Summit, HA or Limited X yet. I'm around the 8th month of ownership and slowly getting my HA somewhat of an off road vehicle..... That's half the fun. The other half is pictured below 馃榿

Attachments

Registered
cattle
I put ALL the skid plates on mine and I'm 69. Just crank it up to Off Road 2, then set it to "jacking mode" by holding down the UP/DOWN buttons for a long time till the message comes up on the EVIC. You can slide under and do all the plates quite easily. I was worried about doing the gas tank skid plates but it turned out to not be a problem. You should run it to almost empty just to be safe though, no sense having them full and heavy. You can remove the nuts/bolts you need to for putting on the skid plates and the gas tank will wind up just a little loose but it doesn't go anywhere and you can put the skid plates back on and button it back up. There is a best order to doing the plates, front to back or back to front but I forget now which way. But worst case is you have to take a couple bolts back out to slide a plate under another plate. I also bought a side plate from one of the folks here who fabricates them.. it covers up the wiring that runs along the side near the rocker panel.

Super Moderator
OEM skids fit on any trim level.

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Jim, I ordered all 6 of them and they should arrive next week sometime! IMHO skids should be standard on all 4x4 GC models.

Premium Member
The three areas not covered by OEM skid plates can be protected with plates from Chief Products. I鈥檓 using them and they are excellent.

Registered
Overland
i love my tire 2 tire sliders with kick out from rocky road. heavy as all, but no more worries from people who park way to close to my 2018 gc overland or for any off road 鈥漛umps鈥. i 2nd the chief plates, high quality!!

install front to back. order them all at once, i didnt and ended up having to pull everything and start over front 2 back

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
Discussion Starter #8
install front to back. order them all at once, i didn't and ended up having to pull everything and start over front 2 back
Front to back??? I believe the Mopar skids should be installed back to front.

1) Fuel tanks
2) Transfer Case Skid (2) Smaller one first
3) Tranny belly pan
4) Front axle

Registered
Overland
thanks u r correct, i need to clarify. fuel tanks, were first. i ordered all the mopar skids and installed them. then went looking for the rest, which i ended up with chief plates. trying to put the chief plates on meant i had to undo everything else (except fuel skids) to get it all aligned. my point should have been, dont install until you have them all, install them at the same time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts