Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 HA 5.7
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be my first time towing. I'm wondering if it would be safe to use my Jeep to transport another car.

The car in question is a 2016 Camaro SS manual, which has a curb weight of 3700lb.

I will be using a UHaul trailer that weighs 2710lb.

The total weight is then 6400lb.

I know that the Jeep is rated for 7200lb. But I'm confused about tongue weight. It supposedly has a Class III hitch, but the tongue is rated for something like 1000lb. When I look this up it looks like tongue capacity on a Class III is more like 600lb. Also, is the 7200lb capacity for all 5.7 GC's or do I need a tow pack to get that limit?

Planning on driving about 200 miles.

Is this feasible? Any advice on loading and unloading the car onto the trailer? Ground clearance is pretty low. Any general advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your GC does not have the tow pack I don't think you have 7200#. Max tongue weight is listed at 700# for my 5.7 with the tow pack. With that weight, you legally will need trailer brakes, which needs a brake controller. (7 pin connector on your Jeep)
But. 200 miles where? 200 miles flat, take it sometime there's not a lot of traffic, slow and easy, you could be okay. Something happens, you might be screwed too.
Safety first...

·
Registered
18 HA 5.7
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the tow pack. I don't think it was an option for the HA. The trailer has hitch activated brakes. I'm still not sure if my cap is 6200 or 7200. I'll be towing from middle of Pennsylvania to NYC

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
6 Posts
If your HA came with the factory hitch then you have the tow package. If you added an aftermarket or U-haul installed tow hitch then you don't have a tow package.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
If you have a 2018 HA 4x4, Factory Towing is standard and the limit is 7200 lbs for the V8 and 720 lbs tongue weight. (requires WDH over 350 lbs tongue weight as per the manual) The hitch receiver is hidden behind a removable panel on the back bumper.

If you have a 4x2 HA...you're hosed for towing that load as the max will be (I believe) 5K without Factory Tow and with the V8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have the tow pack. I don't think it was an option for the HA. The trailer has hitch activated brakes. I'm still not sure if my cap is 6200 or 7200. I'll be towing from middle of Pennsylvania to NYC
You have a 7 pin (round) connection on the Jeep?

·
Registered
18 HA 5.7
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a 2018 HA 4x4, Factory Towing is standard and the limit is 7200 lbs for the V8 and 720 lbs tongue weight. (requires WDH over 350 lbs tongue weight as per the manual) The hitch receiver is hidden behind a removable panel on the back bumper.

If you have a 4x2 HA...you're hosed for towing that load as the max will be (I believe) 5K without Factory Tow and with the V8.
thanks for this. I have the 4x4. I;ve used the hitch for a bike rack, but that's it. some of the info I have found online seem to contradict each other. I found a dealer site that said the factory tow pack isn't available on the HA, which led me to believe that the tow pack must come with more stuff than just the hitch on my HA, like cooling and braking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look at your rear brakes. I believe if you have vented rotors, that is the HD brake kit which is part of the tow package.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
I found a dealer site that said the factory tow pack isn't available on the HA,
Wk2Jeeps.com is your friend. Factory Towing is standard on the HA 4x4 for that model year. The dealer is technically correct...Factory Towing isn't available...as an option...because it's standard. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
HD brake kit which is part of the tow package.
HD brakes are dependent on the engine...V8 equipped gets them, even without Factory Towing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts