Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, last summer I took a poll to see if anyone would be interested in a longevity post that would be continually updated and the feedback was positive. I drive A LOT so I figured I would be a guinea pig and post my maintenance/issues as the miles build. This past week marks the one year mark since I purchased my 2018 so I figured this was a good time to start.

I purchased new on March 8, 2018 and it had 28 miles on it when I drove off the lot. As of the end of the day on March 8, 2019 it had 50,865 miles on it. I am covered by 5 years/Unlimited miles MaxCare that I purchased for $1795 from Zeigler.

Maintenance and issues to date are...

-7 oil changes
-6 tire rotations
-1 cabin air filter and 1 engine air filter.
-New tires will come within 5-10 thousand more miles.
-#6 parking sensor (right front) was bad right off the lot. Took almost 2 months for the dealer to get the part and get it painted.
-My suspension is very clunky, sounds like shock mounts are bad but I have not had it checked out yet. Other than that I have had no issues to date with the air suspension.
-I have a weird issue where on startup the whole vehicle will shake and it makes a banging noise. It is very hard to explain, but again have not had the issue checked yet.
-My drivers seat makes a popping noise when my weight shifts in the seat. For example, coming to a stop and then accelerating again.

Over all it has been a good experience so far. It is a really comfortable ride to spend so much time in. I will keep this post updated in real time as issues arise and I have them taken care of.

Here are some pics I took while traveling this past week. It is a real pain to keep clean when you drive so much.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
Clearly, you enjoy "living" in your JGC!!

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
371 Posts
I used to drive fleet cars like Taurus, Pontiac Gran Prix or Dodge Minivans and put 55-70k miles on them per year. Minus some quirks, if you did your preventative maintenance they usually worked quite fine. Living out of your sedan or minivan is terrible though. Long drives on I-80 or I-35 throughout the Midwest. One decent thing was books on CDs or audible now. Kept you from going nuts listening to SiriusXM or political talk shows.

·
Registered
WK2
443 Posts
I used to drive fleet cars like Taurus, Pontiac Gran Prix or Dodge Minivans and put 55-70k miles on them per year. Minus some quirks, if you did your preventative maintenance they usually worked quite fine. Living out of your sedan or minivan is terrible though. Long drives on I-80 or I-35 throughout the Midwest. One decent thing was books on CDs or audible now. Kept you from going nuts listening to SiriusXM or political talk shows.

I drove from our area to San Antonio TX for a business trip (I don't fly anymore). Drove for 24 hours before I got tired, and yea, the repeating shows on sat radio do get annoying.

Previous to my WK2, I bought a WJ in 2004 (02 Laredo 4.7 NV242). First trans at 200K, rebuilt t-case (my fault), dropped valve seat at 309k. The rust made my decision to not drop another engine in it. I swear NY uses more salt on the roads than mother nature used in the ocean.

·
Registered
High Altitude
68 Posts
my suspension makes those clunky/popping noises as well going over those thin but tall speed bumps and the rutted dirt roads i frequently drive over in VT

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - New tires

I got 57,366 miles out of the old ones. I'm sure some people would have pushed it a little further than I did, but with how much I drive I'd rather have the safety of fresh tread under me. Especially now that it's spring and there will be more rain. I chose to go with the Continental Crosscontact LX20. Partly due to research done here and partly by reading about them and competing tires on Tirerack. I need to do some more driving with them, but first impression seems to be that they are a significantly more comfortable ride compared to the Bridgestone Ecopias that came on the vehicle. They seem to absorb imperfections in the road much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is actually incredible how big of a difference tires can make in the ride comfort.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - 75,479 miles.

The Jeep has developed a nasty nasty rattle somewhere and I just cannot figure out where it is coming from. Its a metallic sound, almost like golf clubs clanking together. Seems like it is probably coming from the headliner/Sunroof but I have searched and searched and just can't pinpoint it. It is driving me out of my mind.

·
Registered
2019 JGC Trailhawk
24 Posts
Update - 75,479 miles.

The Jeep has developed a nasty nasty rattle somewhere and I just cannot figure out where it is coming from. Its a metallic sound, almost like golf clubs clanking together. Seems like it is probably coming from the headliner/Sunroof but I have searched and searched and just can't pinpoint it. It is driving me out of my mind.
Did you ever figure out the rattle? Mine only has 11k miles, but is currently at the dealer who is diagnosing a similar rattle in the same location. Will update later.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you ever figure out the rattle? Mine only has 11k miles, but is currently at the dealer who is diagnosing a similar rattle in the same location. Will update later.
I have pinpointed it to the sunroof, but I cannot figure out how to make it stop.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,182 Posts
Does it seem like it's coming from right above your head (drivers)? I had this issue. I pulled down the headliner above the drivers rear door:
-Remove weatherstripping from top of bother front and rear doors
-Remove lower B pillar trim, remove 7mm screw from bottom of upper B pillar trim and slide trim down away from headliner
-Pull back as much of lower C pillar trim as you can, remove 7mm screw from bottom of upper C pillar trim and slide C pillar trim down and away from headliner. C pillar trim is all connected to trim in the cargo area so do you best.
-go around the the sunroof opening and pop off the velco holding the headliner to the sunroof assembly.

Standing at the rear door gently pull down the headliner and peer into the rear corner of the sunroof assembly you'll see this:

I wedged a piece of fuel line between the sunroof assembly and the roof at this location and it stopped the noise so far. If you do this can you confirm if there is a bolt in the spot where I have the brush bushing?

If your noise is coming from the passenger side there is a TSB which is very involved to fix the body seam at the C pillar on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your noise is coming from the passenger side there is a TSB which is very involved to fix the body seam at the C pillar on the passenger side.
Mine does seem to be coming from the passenger side. For the most part it goes away when the shade is closed.

·
Registered
High Altitude
68 Posts
i have the sunroof rattle on the drivers side. if i push up on the headlining on the side of the glass, it goes away. such a pain to go with my dealer since im usually stranded there (no loaners, and I live in city so hard to make it by the time it closes) so i guess i'll live with it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts