Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I had my oil changed two weeks ago then notice white smoke and a engine light after that. Checked code and it said “misfire cylinder 3”. I replace spark plugs with the best ones. I replace the coil pack for cylinder 3 and still engine light. I noticed I have to add water everyday.
Need your help:
Anyone know how to replace head gasket if that is my issue? And videos? Step by step instructions? Advise? Webpage or link on how do head gaskets.

· Registered
954 Posts
#3 is the right side head. If you don’t have a bunch of mechanical experience and the proper tools, I wouldn’t even think about it.

are you out of warranty?
That engine carries a five-year 60,000 mile warranty.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it used from ford dealership in 2019 with 31k miles. It now has 117,000 miles. I have worked on old school cars so I have a little car knowledge but I am not expert nor familiar with the new cars with all the electrical. I am thankful I bought a rear wheel drive car as I would think it to be easer to work on. I just don’t want to take it back to the dealer. It already cost me $1,139 just for diagnostic test and to order two batteries when yesterday the car would not start. Need DIY steps on how to fix.

-touch screen on radio also had the bubble and still trying to fix
-passenger rear door lock actuators went bad 6months ago
-start stop batteries went out yesterday

starting to lose faith in Jeep and feels like a lemon car or that there should be more recalls for this vehicle.

· Registered
1,319 Posts
I bought it used from ford dealership in 2019 with 31k miles. It now has 117,000 miles. I have worked on old school cars so I have a little car knowledge but I am not expert nor familiar with the new cars with all the electrical. I am thankful I bought a rear wheel drive car as I would think it to be easer to work on. I just don’t want to take it back to the dealer. It already cost me $1,139 just for diagnostic test and to order two batteries when yesterday the car would not start. Need DIY steps on how to fix.

-touch screen on radio also had the bubble and still trying to fix
-passenger rear door lock actuators went bad 6months ago
-start stop batteries went out yesterday

starting to lose faith in Jeep and feels like a lemon car or that there should be more recalls for this vehicle.
I cannot help with the other issues but I recently posted a video on how to fix the touch screen delaminating issue with a bit of 70% isopropyl alcohol and a couple of hours worth of time. They used bondo spreaders in the video but I saw another video where someone used fishing line to separate the screen.

· Registered
384 Posts
The other thing with replacing one head gasket is if the head is warped at all. It will need to be milled. Which in turn the other head needs to be milled to balance out the motor. Was that spark plug super white compared to all the others? That would let you know for sure it's water in the cylinder. Also if you keep running that motor the higher compression in that cylinder because of the water getting into it can cause damage to the piston, and connecting rod. So tread lightly and good luck!!!!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I truly appreciate the video and the reply. Thank you. I tried that and ended up damaging the LCD screen so I ordered a upgrade from the SL-01 to the SL-02. Now the radio and all functions work “Except for now I can’t see anything on the screen and I have memorized some of the functions on where the pictures would be. I am asking the seller if they can send me another screen but the SL-01 this time.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other thing with replacing one head gasket is if the head is warped at all. It will need to be milled. Which in turn the other head needs to be milled to balance out the motor. Was that spark plug super white compared to all the others? That would let you know for sure it's water in the cylinder. Also if you keep running that motor the higher compression in that cylinder because of the water getting into it can cause damage to the piston, and connecting rod. So tread lightly and good luck!!!!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, thank you kindly for the reply. When I pulled the spark plugs I did not see any white on the plugs. I sure hope I don’t have to mill the heads/gaskets. A family machanic said that he could test it by making sure cylinder 3 is top dead center the use a compressor to blow air into cylinder 3 and if the water starts to bubble then it’s a head gasket. If need be I can have a machanic do the job, but I don’t not want to sell my body parts to pay the dealer to do the work. I have my second daughter due in March and want the Jeep to be reliable.

· Registered
954 Posts
If need be I can have a machanic do the job, but I don’t not want to sell my body parts to pay the dealer to do the work. I have my second daughter due in March and want the Jeep to be reliable.
full disclosure, I work at a dealership so I may be biased, but the amount of times I have had to redo work that another "mechanic" had already done is astonishing. I can guarantee you, none of those people saved any money, and oftentimes the correct repair was cheaper than thet repair they had paid for

The fallacy that a dealership is automatically more expensive is just that, a fallacy . there are just as many rip off independants as there are dealerships.
get an estimate from a trusted local dealership, and then get one from your local mechanic....you may be surprised.

As to this job in particular, if you mechanic is not familiar with this engine, you will be the one paying for his mistakes.
for starters, putting air in the cylinder is not the correct way to diagnose a head gasket, a cold engine may well pass the air test when a hot engine would not.....likewise shop air is probably around 150 PSI...peak cylinder pressure under light load is closer to 300 PSI and as high as 800 under heavier load ...so the correct way is to do a hydrocarbon test.

all of that being said, I am well aware of the fact that some dealerships are full of hack techs who charge too much, but there are good ones also..so ask around and you may find one that does great work at competitive prices

· Registered
384 Posts
I agree with Joshmopar... I have never heard of putting air into the cylinder. I think it would better to just pressurize the coolant system, and see if you get coolant into the cylinder. Also if that plug has been driven on it will be whiter then the rest. It is basically getting steam cleaned when your running. Also I've seen a few head gasket jobs in my days of turning wrenches.. They get fixed, and a month or two down the road they loose a rod,, or a bearing. Might even be worth looking into a used motor, and swap it. Good luck brother!!!!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with Joshmopar... I have never heard of putting air into the cylinder. I think it would better to just pressurize the coolant system, and see if you get coolant into the cylinder. Also if that plug has been driven on it will be whiter then the rest. It is basically getting steam cleaned when your running. Also I've seen a few head gasket jobs in my days of turning wrenches.. They get fixed, and a month or two down the road they loose a rod,, or a bearing. Might even be worth looking into a used motor, and swap it. Good luck brother!!!!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

these are the old spark plugs removed. Not in any order I just layer them out. The picture with the box are the new spark plugs. Can anyone tell I’m the picture with the plugs which one is bad? Two of them look little white a crusty but not sure. Is it normal for head gaskets to go bad? And on a 2018 year?

Attachments

· Registered
384 Posts
Maybe the top one in the pic. But it doesn't look white enough. Might be the best burning cylinder. If your dumping antifreeze into it daily, you would running a fair amount of liquid thru that cylinder. And that would be a white spark plug.

· Registered
954 Posts
Tough to tell from that angle, but the 2nd from the top and the bottom one have some sort of deposits on them ...if I had to guess I would say those 2 cylinders are burning a bit of oil.

3rd from the top looks to have been changed not that long ago

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to keep everyone posted. The two batteries were delayed two days. The dealer Just informed me that the batteries were not the only issue and now it’s the starter. Price now went from $1,139 to $1,6671. Then they will look into engine light saying misfire on cylinder 3. I’m hoping not to spend more money. Now thinking of getting another vehicle.

· Registered
384 Posts
I didn't really see a plug that screamed coolant. And someone else could chime in on that. But it would be a crazier white. Didn't see it? But you are dumping coolant into it! So,I'd say and see if it's the head leaking to cause the miss fire. If not great! If it is.Then trade it in and enjoy your new rig!!!!!Good luck brother

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi everyone,

the dealership still has the Jeep and so far they have replaced the two start stop batteries just to find out that it was the starter as well. $1,699 just for that alone. Now let’s get back to the engine light and code saying misfire in cylinder 3. The dealership tech has now informed me that cylinder 3 and 6 have blown head gaskets. 🤯 the Jeep is a 2018 and it has never overheated and I never seen water in the oil (I have oil done at shops) and now the dealer says it will cost just shy of $9,000 (9K) to have fixed!!!!

now I ask and I am desperate for real help and advise. What the heck do I do? That’s a lot of money.
Do I:

A. Taking to one of my two family mechanics and have them fix and keep the Jeep?

B. Do have the family mechanics fix then trade it in?

C. Do I leave Jeep as is and trade it in?

D. Do I try a additive to as a band aid on the blown head gaskets and keep driving it?

E. Do I use a additive to try to fix the head gasket then trade or sell the Jeep

F. Do I file for a lemon vehicle or file a recall complaint and if so I am not familiar with that process. Ideas?

I live in San Francisco so everything is so EXPENSIVE!!!! I have a daughter almost 3 and another due in March and need a reliable SUV/Truck.

all ideas, suggestions, articles, forms, are welcome even if it’s hey dude suck it up and pay it. Just need some input.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts