Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
955 Posts
Hi everyone,

the dealership still has the Jeep and so far they have replaced the two start stop batteries just to find out that it was the starter as well. $1,699 just for that alone. Now let’s get back to the engine light and code saying misfire in cylinder 3. The dealership tech has now informed me that cylinder 3 and 6 have blown head gaskets. 🤯 the Jeep is a 2018 and it has never overheated and I never seen water in the oil (I have oil done at shops) and now the dealer says it will cost just shy of $9,000 (9K) to have fixed!!!!

now I ask and I am desperate for real help and advise. What the heck do I do? That’s a lot of money.
Do I:

A. Taking to one of my two family mechanics and have them fix and keep the Jeep?

B. Do have the family mechanics fix then trade it in?

C. Do I leave Jeep as is and trade it in?

D. Do I try a additive to as a band aid on the blown head gaskets and keep driving it?

E. Do I use a additive to try to fix the head gasket then trade or sell the Jeep

F. Do I file for a lemon vehicle or file a recall complaint and if so I am not familiar with that process. Ideas?

I live in San Francisco so everything is so EXPENSIVE!!!! I have a daughter almost 3 and another due in March and need a reliable SUV/Truck.

all ideas, suggestions, articles, forms, are welcome even if it’s hey dude suck it up and pay it. Just need some input.
Take it to another dealer. I think the one you are using is full of shit.

3 and 6 would mean both sides are bad, and I find that extremely hard to believe and even if they were right, 9 grand for that job is insane . A complete engine is $4200.00 and maybe $2500 labor to install it.

So to summarize, run away from that place like its on fire

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi,
I was supposed to pick up the Jeep at noon today after telling the dealership that I cant afford the head gaskets to be replaced. The dealership just let me know that after the tech went to put the parts back together it would not start and they need to keep the Jeep over the weekend to see why now it won’t start again. What a money pit!! 🙄 How much is a Jeep in scrap? At this point it’s easier to joke and laugh then to stress.

· Registered
955 Posts
Hi,
I was supposed to pick up the Jeep at noon today after telling the dealership that I cant afford the head gaskets to be replaced. The dealership just let me know that after the tech went to put the parts back together it would not start and they need to keep the Jeep over the weekend to see why now it won’t start again. What a money pit!! 🙄 How much is a Jeep in scrap? At this point it’s easier to joke and laugh then to stress.
What dealership is it at?

· Registered
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo
183 Posts
Sounds fishy as hell. Get it back as quickly as you can, never go back. Go to a reputable independent that you know and trust. As others have said, a replacement engine would be cheaper. Or a head job properly done would be much cheaper. Last spring I had cam, lifters, and any associated parts done, with head redone by machine shop, I think it was just under 5k. Hemi.
If you like the car it’s worth it, if you don’t it’s not.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I do like the brand and style but this particular vehicle that I own. Not on my like list right now. I am unsure how hard it is to find another motor let alone have it installed properly. I may see if the family mechanic can do the head gaskets. My other family mechanic said he no longer deals with working on motors. Does engine else have these issues or am I just that lucky. I should start playing the lottery.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
it's not common, but your not alone. This one is getting a new R/S head and the cost is around $3200 all in.

View attachment 246465 View attachment 246466
That job looks about as complicated as that AC evaporator job you posted a while back.
I've rebuilt old school engines but i would never think of tackling a rebuild with one of these newer 'state of the art' engines.

As an aside, I like the fact you take pics of your jobs.
My trusted Jeep Master Tech does the same and gave me copies on CD for a complicated job on my XJ and its highly appreciated as a customer.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi,

I agree that looks like a job I really don’t want to get involved in without proper guidance or instructions. Great pictures!! The dealer said I could pick up on last Friday but said that it would not start again and to check back on Monday. 🙄 what’s next? More $$down the drain.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

I just got the Jeep back on Tuesday and Jeep had some scratches on it so I will be bringing it back to have it detailed out. 🙄 Does anyone on here know a place that will do head gaskets for cheap in San Francisco area? Dealer wants to charge more than what the car is worth.

· Registered
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo
183 Posts
Having read the thread, if I were in your shoes, as I see them, I’d search “Four wheel drive shop Bay Area “ or maybe include some specific town names in the search. Find a shop with a history. Odds are they won’t do the work you’re looking to have done, but there’s a good chance they’ll know someone they’d recommend who will.
that’s the best I can do.

· Registered
3 Posts
Take it to another dealer. I think the one you are using is full of shit.

3 and 6 would mean both sides are bad, and I find that extremely hard to believe and even if they were right, 9 grand for that job is insane . A complete engine is $4200.00 and maybe $2500 labor to install it.

So to summarize, run away from that place like its on fire
I was quote 12,000 for a new engine

· Registered
3 Posts
And that was from Sarasota jeep dodge who lie a lot, crooks would be a kind word to use for them.
I had all the same symptoms as everyone else and the same bad treatment from the dealership and from jeep customer care no one could talk specifics and facts it was all speculation. The only thing they kept repeating was that my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee summit was old and that old Jeep’s go wrong!
I will never buy another jeep after I sell this one

· Registered
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
636 Posts
And if you’re going to look for an independent mechanic, make sure the shop is always busy. The good ones are. I don’t know if that rationale extends to dealerships, but I have trusted the four dealerships I’ve dealt with over the last 30 years and in 3 different cities.

· Registered
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
636 Posts
Well, there there was one dealership that I trusted until the mechanic snapped off the stems of two tire pressure sending units. I knew that that could happen with those metal stems on the WK, but the tech just jammed the the caps back on and never mentioned it to the service manager. I went back the next day and they put new units in, no charge, no hassle. So, even if you trust the mechanic, it’s still good to verify because humans make mistakes, I know, because I’ve made my share of them.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Having read the thread, if I were in your shoes, as I see them, I’d search “Four wheel drive shop Bay Area “ or maybe include some specific town names in the search. Find a shop with a history. Odds are they won’t do the work you’re looking to have done, but there’s a good chance they’ll know someone they’d recommend who will.
that’s the best I can do.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi everyone,

hope you all had a great thanksgiving with family and friends. Just wanted to update everyone and still looking for guidance.

I got the Jeep back from the dealership on Thursday 11/24/22 bc after they did the batteries and starter it would not start. After they charge the battery it started and I picked up the Jeep.

Went to another dealership for appraisal on Sunday and after personally detailing the Jeep the offer was low at $13,500.

It is now Monday and was going to sell it to a dealership and now the same problem that I had before. Everything turns on but won’t start.

New part:
Spark plugs, 2 new coil packs, two new batteries, and a new starter.

No blown fuses, and so now. My mind is blown. 🤯🤬. Now key fob is saying low battery.

Seriously feeling like this is a POS!

Don’t want to use a tow just to bring it back to the dealer to take more of my money even though they never fixed the problem of it not starting. Feels like I’m throwing money at it to see if it fixes the problems.

HELP!!!! HELP!!!! Please……🙏🙏🙏

21 - 40 of 48 Posts