Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
5,395 Posts
Have you or the dealership ever tested for a battery draining parasitic draw?
With every thing else working, I'd think fixing a no crank fail should be a piece of cake for a dealership.

And whats the latest on the head gasket thing?
Reading between the lines it sounds like you're trying to get rid of the Jeep?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi,

Hope the below helps, it you need more please let me know. I have used two tows on this vehicle and don’t want to burn my AAA tows. I have the battery on a charger over night and will see if that works when I get off work and go home. What else could it be?
I was going to trade/sell it yesterday to wash my hands of the damn thing and just my luck it did not start, not even a crank. You hear clicking noises from the engine/fuses/computer. Not sure what that’s all about or if it’s normal. I also tested starter relay and it was fine.

New batteries and starter from Dealership:
got bad news for you - batteries installed and still not cranking and will need a starter. I will just add the part which is $598.50 no additional labor and then after that we will look more into the misfire once it is started. & because the batteries wouldn't even charge it made it hard to know if it was going to need more so either way we would have still needed batteries

Going to be keeping it over the weekend, tech put everything back together and when trying to pull out of his stall wouldn't start again. We are going to recheck everything but just need more time. Will check in Monday

okay been letting it sit after rechecking and recharging batteries. Found no draws. and started up both times today after sitting. Vehicle is good to go. We can't wash today its too late but if you want to pick it up tomorrow after 10am I can get it washed in the morning for you. Let me know

The below is from the dealership: on the head gaskets:
here is technician notes , sorry for cap locks -- CHECKED VEHICLE'S STORED AND ACTIVE CODES UPON ARRIVAL AND AT SERVICE WRITE UP LANE. FOUND CODE P0303 "CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE" PRESENT IN SYSTEM LONG WITH OTHER CODES. SO USING SCAN TOOL MONITORED FOR "WHICH CYLINDER WAS MISFIRING" AND IT WAS DETERMINE A MISFIRE PRESENCE ON CYLINDER #3, ALONG WITH MISFIRE NOTICED COOLANT SMELLED COMING OUT OF TAIL PIPE, A BLOCK TEST WAS PERFORMED AND UNFORTUNATELY VEHICLE FAILED TEST. SO REMOVED PLENUM ASSEMBLY TO GAIN ACCESS TO BANK 1 CYLINDERS, REMOVED IGNITION COILS AND SPARK PLUGS (FOUND #3 PLUG SOAKED IN COOLANT) ALSO REMOVED BANK 2 SPARK PLUGS AND COILS AND INSPECTED (NOTICED #6 SOAKED IN COOLANT). PRESSURE TESTED SYSTEM AND WHILE USING BAROSCOPE INSPECTED CYLINDERS. FOUND COOLANT PRESENCE IN CYLINDER #3
AND #6.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
Hi,

Hope the below helps, it you need more please let me know. I have used two tows on this vehicle and don’t want to burn my AAA tows. I have the battery on a charger over night and will see if that works when I get off work and go home. What else could it be?
I was going to trade/sell it yesterday to wash my hands of the damn thing and just my luck it did not start, not even a crank. You hear clicking noises from the engine/fuses/computer. Not sure what that’s all about or if it’s normal. I also tested starter relay and it was fine.

New batteries and starter from Dealership:
got bad news for you - batteries installed and still not cranking and will need a starter. I will just add the part which is $598.50 no additional labor and then after that we will look more into the misfire once it is started. & because the batteries wouldn't even charge it made it hard to know if it was going to need more so either way we would have still needed batteries

Going to be keeping it over the weekend, tech put everything back together and when trying to pull out of his stall wouldn't start again. We are going to recheck everything but just need more time. Will check in Monday

okay been letting it sit after rechecking and recharging batteries. Found no draws. and started up both times today after sitting. Vehicle is good to go. We can't wash today its too late but if you want to pick it up tomorrow after 10am I can get it washed in the morning for you. Let me know

The below is from the dealership: on the head gaskets:
here is technician notes , sorry for cap locks -- CHECKED VEHICLE'S STORED AND ACTIVE CODES UPON ARRIVAL AND AT SERVICE WRITE UP LANE. FOUND CODE P0303 "CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE" PRESENT IN SYSTEM LONG WITH OTHER CODES. SO USING SCAN TOOL MONITORED FOR "WHICH CYLINDER WAS MISFIRING" AND IT WAS DETERMINE A MISFIRE PRESENCE ON CYLINDER #3, ALONG WITH MISFIRE NOTICED COOLANT SMELLED COMING OUT OF TAIL PIPE, A BLOCK TEST WAS PERFORMED AND UNFORTUNATELY VEHICLE FAILED TEST. SO REMOVED PLENUM ASSEMBLY TO GAIN ACCESS TO BANK 1 CYLINDERS, REMOVED IGNITION COILS AND SPARK PLUGS (FOUND #3 PLUG SOAKED IN COOLANT) ALSO REMOVED BANK 2 SPARK PLUGS AND COILS AND INSPECTED (NOTICED #6 SOAKED IN COOLANT). PRESSURE TESTED SYSTEM AND WHILE USING BAROSCOPE INSPECTED CYLINDERS. FOUND COOLANT PRESENCE IN CYLINDER #3
AND #6.
Man o man when it rains it pours.
Based on the dealership's report it does look like a leaking head gasket or maybe worse.

Not sure whats going on with the no crank/no start situation.
The clicking you hear while trying to start the engine could be the starter motor solenoid doesn't have enough voltage/amperage to operate causing it or the starter relay to oscillate.
This whole no start thing to me, seems to suggest a bad battery to starter electrical connection or something going on with the battery and/or its cable/clamps, parasitic drain or the alternator charging voltage is fubar.
Wish i could be there with my trusty multi meter.

I'd think your best bet now if you want to wash your hands off this Jeep is to negotiate with the dealership suits you've been dealing with for a buy back or a trade in.
Last resort would be looking into your State's Lemon Law.

I myself would not sell any vehicle with a known bad head gasket not to mention starting problems to a private party or anyone else without them knowing what they're getting into.

Reactions: andrewsiff

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi,

I spoke to the Jeep dealership and they said that they would fix the not starting issue due to that is why I brought it to them in the first place.

I would have to use a tow to get it to the dealership. The great news and hopefully the ending to this journey is that another dealership gave me an appraisal on Sunday. I called that dealership and explain that the car won’t start and if I could have it towed in at the appraisal price. They said yes, so I will be towing it tomorrow and wash my hands of this awful experience.

I also called a lemon law attorney and was told that if the car had only been brought to the dealer once while still under warranty that I don’t have a case. So in my situation I did only bring the Jeep in once to have the rear wiper blade arm fixed. The dealership I am selling the Jeep to will make the repairs and probably flip it for a nice profit.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
Hi,

I spoke to the Jeep dealership and they said that they would fix the not starting issue due to that is why I brought it to them in the first place.

I would have to use a tow to get it to the dealership. The great news and hopefully the ending to this journey is that another dealership gave me an appraisal on Sunday. I called that dealership and explain that the car won’t start and if I could have it towed in at the appraisal price. They said yes, so I will be towing it tomorrow and wash my hands of this awful experience.

I also called a lemon law attorney and was told that if the car had only been brought to the dealer once while still under warranty that I don’t have a case. So in my situation I did only bring the Jeep in once to have the rear wiper blade arm fixed. The dealership I am selling the Jeep to will make the repairs and probably flip it for a nice profit.
Hope this all ends well, let us know when or if the deal finally goes through.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
Hi everyone,

It’s done!!!! Tow to dealer just paid $4,305 left on loan and Jeep is sold to a dealer. I just want to say thank you and everyone for the guidance, help and support. This was stressful.
Thanks for the update.
Hope your replacement ride won't be that stressful.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts