Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

The lease is up on my 2017 Laredo this month, so it is time for a new vehicle. I have decided to purchase instead of another lease this time around, and I have been very satisfied with my base Laredo. I wanted some goodies on this one (MY'18+ for CarPlay, 20" wheels, towing package, etc.) and found a 2018 High Altitude 4x2 at my local CarMax that seems to be perfect. However, I am confused if this one has factory towing or just a hitch receiver and plugs. It does have the High Altitude II package 2BS, but the window sticker doesn't list 'Heavy Duty Engine Cooling', 'Rear Load Leveling Suspension', or anything other than the hitch and wiring. I thought the full towing package was standard on HA models. Is that correct, or does this vehicle only have the hitch and wiring?

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I thought the full towing package was standard on HA models. Is that correct, or does this vehicle only have the hitch and wiring?
It's only standard on 4x4 versions of the Overland/HA. It's optional on 4x2. If you're going to do any "real" towing, you absolutely want Factory Towing as you seem to understand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the input. I think it does have the full towing package. While I was playing with the radio with the engine running, I heard what sounded like an old-school fan clutch kick in for 45 seconds or so then quiet back down. It wasn't quite the deafening "jet engine" sound you would associate with a fan clutch, but it was loud enough to hear over the idling engine and a somewhat cranked radio.

I bit the bullet and bought it. This vehicle is cherry with no exterior or interior damage of any kind, save for a small ding on the driver's door. The tires were even brand new General Grabber HTS)! I may swing by my local Jeep dealer though to see if they are able to tell me for sure. Thanks again for all of the help and info!!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The only way to know for sure how the vehicle is equipped is to obtain a build sheet which will show all the sales codes for that VIN. Perhaps a dealer can help you with that.

Edit....I missed seeing the link to the build information in post #2. You do have Factory Tow.

·
Registered
299 Posts
According to the build sheet specs in post #2 it has the Trailer Tow Group IV package.

Trailer Tow Group IV

Need a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is a towing beast? The Trailer Tow group is meant for buyers that need to tow. With the Class IV Receiver Hitch, drivers are provided with a maximum towing capacity of 6,200 pounds and peace of mind that their cargo is secured. Should any of the tires go flat, the full-size spare tire will be much appreciated. It features a lightweight construction and design that helps save on weight and/or trunk space. Another great feature is the heavy duty engine cooling system, which is designed to vent some of the engine’s heat and keep it performing at its maximum potential.

This package comes standard on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, Overland, and Summit trims and it is optional on the Grand Cherokee SRT and Limited trims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts