Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been on here and google a decent amount and now that the 3.0 ED is available i think i can get a new one. so in short from guys who are deep into the Jeep world, what are the differences between the two?

other than badges and the interior color schemes what are the differences?
i am leaning towards a trailhawk because it's a little less money and i think looks better than the overland/summit/what ever else.

·
Super Moderator
8,506 Posts
TrailHawk is primarily an appearance package...the decal, red tow hooks and the seats, etc. If you equip an Overland with ORA-II, etc., performance will be identical and you'll have more choices for things like interior colors as well as additional options not available on the TrailHawk. Choose the one that you like the best that offers you the features you want and need.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dude, you get dem SRT seats in the trailhawk!!!
The seats are one of the main reasons I chose TH over an Overland. And for me the exterior styling of the TH (black window trim, red badge highlights etc.) has a more modern appearance than the chrome laden Overland. I do however wish the Harmon Kardon audio was an option in the TH, it's the only benefit to the Overland IMHO.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
dude, you get dem SRT seats in the trailhawk!!!
that's what i thought i saw when i looked at the 369 interior. i was like uhhhhhh the TH is cheaper and nicer than overland..... i gotta be missing something, granted my TH I added almost 10k in options for 52,9xx msrp.

i want the 3.0 ED, air ride, LDS, best suspension mod, ACC, HIDs, cooled seats, NAV, remote start, sound option with sub, that's about it.

basically a loaded WK2 without the needless 4500 leather or chorome trim stuff
so far i'm 100% on a TrailHawk

The seats are one of the main reasons I chose TH over an Overland. And for me the exterior styling of the TH (black window trim, red badge highlights etc.) has a more modern appearance than the chrome laden Overland. I do however wish the Harmon Kardon audio was an option in the TH, it's the only benefit to the Overland IMHO.
what year was this, in the current 2018?

·
Registered
476 Posts
TrailHawk is primarily an appearance package...the decal, red tow hooks and the seats, etc. If you equip an Overland with ORA-II, etc., performance will be identical and you'll have more choices for things like interior colors as well as additional options not available on the TrailHawk. Choose the one that you like the best that offers you the features you want and need.
You'd essentially have to customer order an Overland with ORAII because 99% of Overlands on dealer lots aren't equipped with it. Instead, you're much more likely to find an Overland with the 20" wheels and the lesser QTII 4wd system.

·
Registered
476 Posts
TrailHawk is primarily an appearance package....
Um...no, not an appearance package at all. A Trailhawk, by default, gets all of the best "offroad" bits and pieces, including the best 4wd system, the air suspension, full skid plate package, 18" Kevlar tires, towing package, etc... So to say that it's an appearance package is just silly. When you see a Trailhawk on the road, you know that it's equipped with the best that Jeep offers for the trails on the Grand Cherokee.

Just because you can put most of the Trailhawk equipment on other Grand Cherokee models in no way makes the Trailhawk an appearance package. Sorry, but that's just an ignorant statement. Now if the Trailhawk package added nothing but stickers and tow hoods to an otherwise regular Grand Cherokee, I could agree, but that's clearly not the case.

·
Super Moderator
8,506 Posts
Rocket, it's been discussed many times, but the suspension, etc., on the Trailhawk is identical to the current version offered across all the trims with ORA-II in the current model year based on actual specifications. All of that stuff can be had on other JGCs by ordering the mix of options. Yes, that might require a factory order, but that's really not a problem and doesn't cost extra. So other than the decal, lack of chrome in some areas and those seats... I stand by my statement but to be clear, I'm not denigrating the Trailhawk in any way. It's a really nice package for folks who like the look and want a simple way to get the off-road focused goodies. But for anyone who wants those goodies and have more choices for interiors and additional options...it's not the only way to get there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rocket, it's been discussed many times, but the suspension, etc., on the Trailhawk is identical to the current version offered across all the trims with ORA-II in the current model year based on actual specifications. All of that stuff can be had on other JGCs by ordering the mix of options. Yes, that might require a factory order, but that's really not a problem and doesn't cost extra. So other than the decal, lack of chrome in some areas and those seats... I stand by my statement but to be clear, I'm not denigrating the Trailhawk in any way. It's a really nice package for folks who like the look and want a simple way to get the off-road focused goodies. But for anyone who wants those goodies and have more choices for interiors and additional options...it's not the only way to get there.
I think you're missing my point, so I'll reiterate: The TrailHawk is most definitely NOT just an appearance package because it automatically includes ALL of the top "offroad" stuff that Jeep offers on the Grand Cherokee. In other words, if you have any 2017 or 2018 TrailHawk, then by default, you automatically have the best equipment/options that Jeep offers to take a Grand Cherokee offroad. That's ONLY true of the TrailHawk, no other trim. It doesn't matter if you can option up an Overland to take it offroad...that still doesn't change the fact that the TrailHawk is much more than an appearance package. I'm not so sure why this is difficult to understand. You'd only have a valid point if the TrailHawk was basically a base model Laredo with QTI and hood sticker and red tow hooks....but that's obviously not the case and that's the reason it's silly to make a statement that the TrailHawk is an appearance package. It is not.

I believe the earlier WK Trailhawk Grand Cherokees was in fact essentially an appearance package, but not the newer ones. Big difference there...

BTW, I do own a TrailHawk, but I'm not defending it because I think it's some great offroader. I couldn't really care less. Anyone who has seen my TrailHawk will know that it doesn't even look like a TrailHawk anymore. Hood sticker ripped off, 20" wheels put on, almost completely debadged, etc... So the offroad aspect doesn't really mean much to me. But it's nice to be honest and say that the TrailHawk is so much more than an appearance package.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You know what? I think you're both right. But "ignorant?" Um ... no.
I wasn't trying to say that he's an ignorant person, I was just trying to say that's it was an ignorant statement, as in an uninformed statement. I still stand by my statement that the Trailhawk is in no way just an appearance package. Someone that doesn't know these vehicles might believe that if they are uninformed on what makes a Trailhawk a Trailhawk.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think it comes down to how you define "Appearance Package" to me an appearance package is clearly the "Altitude" (not dissing you guys), because it's basically a blacked out version of a base Laredo. It has no superior mechanical features just the "appearance".

Yes I understand most of the TH can be optioned in other trims, but it does consolidate all the off-road features into one vehicle and your still not get everything in the other trims and if you tried to do that I think the money would be greater.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I wasn't trying to say that he's an ignorant person, I was just trying to say that's it was an ignorant statement, as in an uninformed statement. ...
Now that might qualify as an ignorant statement. Jim is one of the least "uninformed" folks on this board.

When he says TH is an appearance package, I think (making so bold as to speak for him) that's just his shorthand for saying (as has been pointed out here ad nauseam in the past) that the only real differences between a TH and, say, an ORA-II equipped Limited, are largely (but for the seats) "appearance" items. You can argue all you want to as to whether that makes it an "appearance model" or not. That's just a matter of nomenclature. Carry on.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think Jim is right...
A Limited or Overland with the ORA 2 package has the exact same components, functionality, and offroad capability as the Trailhawk. Everything else is cosmetic.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahahah wow, Rocket sent this thread off the deep end here.......

the TH is basically a cosmetic package, all the important shit can be had on Limiteds and Overland or higher. my reason for starting this thread was to see if there was anything that i COULD NOT get in a TH that i can in an overland, other than some pointless chrome no, possibly the sub and sound system tho.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The stupidity in this thread is astounding. An appearance package is just that--an appearance package. What that means is that there's nothing to differentiate one model from another other than strictly appearance items. That's clearly not the case with a Trailhawk because they all come with top off-road equipment, unlike any other GC models. And besides, using that retarded logic, an Overland is just an appearance package for Limited, and a Limited is just an appearance package for a Laredo. So we're all just driving around in appearance package Laredos, I suppose.

Look, you guys can think whatever you want, but that doesn't change this undeniable fact that proves my point beyond any contention: Every WK2 Trailhawk on the road has every off-road feature that Jeep offers on the Grand Cherokee period, and that's not the case with ANY other trim available. For that reason alone, it's clearly not an appearance package. Class dismissed and case closed closed.

·
Registered
2018 GC Trailhawk
13 Posts
hahahah wow, Rocket sent this thread off the deep end here.......

the TH is basically a cosmetic package, all the important shit can be had on Limiteds and Overland or higher. my reason for starting this thread was to see if there was anything that i COULD NOT get in a TH that i can in an overland, other than some pointless chrome no, possibly the sub and sound system tho.
To answer your question, as a Trailhawk owner, it comes down to the options you want. I picked up the Trailhawk because it came with all the off-road goodies built in and I love the appearance (I'm not into shiny bits). I was able to add in all the safety features, the luxury features, and the HEMI. The additional options on the Overland wasn't enough to move me there.

oh yeah....the seats are some of the best I've ever sat in. If you plan doing long road trips then it is hard to walk away from these.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts