Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the wife her dream car last year, a 2018 grand cherokee overland black with black interior, all the bells and whistles etc...anyway,v6 with 8 speed, pretty peppy by my standards. I’ve gotten it up to 100 with ease and in very short order, still pulling pretty good but I was satisfied with that. To the point: recently my wife admitted she had done something “ stupid” and only told me because not being a car person she thought she may have damaged something. She claims that she wanted to see how fast her baby would go, so while out on a nice long straight country road let it buck. How fast? She said it was doing 150 and still climbing. She only let off because it started to become unstable and there was a burning smell.is this possible??? No way will I attempt to test this out. Ive read other people have had theirs to 130, and of course the track hawk will do 180. I asked if she may have had the speedometer set to kilometers and her reply was no. So....?????

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd check your build sheet for your speedo limit. My 12 overland 5.7 is set at 140mph per build sheet. No way I'd dare go that fast with it. They don't stop or handle well enough to push that speed especially on a public roadway. Might I also add, most states 25mph and over is reckless driving and imprisonment for that kind of speed.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
With modern technology and modern liability, the manufacturer has the ability to limit the speed of the vehicle and the liability that they are responsible for limiting the speed of the vehicle to prevent irresponsible owners/drivers from exceeding a safe speed for the vehicle....

This is the age of there is no such thing as an irresponsible driver that is responsible for their own actions, there is only evil corporations that fail to protect consumers from their own ignorance and irresponsibility..... ....decisions after decisions and media coverage after coverage has made it clear, corporations are responsible to make their product smarter than the consumer.....

Usually, the manufacturers set the speed limit for the vehicle for the speed rating of the tires that came with the vehicle OEM.... ...simply because of liability, any lawyer will win in court if the manufacturer set a speed limit higher than the spec for the tires the vehicle came with, despite the numerous arguments as to why the vehicle can go faster for short periods are why the vehicle should never go as fast as the tire rating for street conditions with untrained drivers either.....

Look up the speed ratings of the tires that came OEM with the vehicle, I suspect the vehicles speed limiter be set precisely for that speed.... ...perhaps she had the digital speedo set to Metric, cause I have my doubts a V6 WK2 can make it to 150mph......

As well, are you sure you've purchased the right vehicles for your needs and wants? If you drive at 100mph or 150kph/150mph, wouldn't a Corvette/Camaro/Challenger/Charger/Mustang better meet your needs and wants?

Do you live in the 3/4 midwest, Arizona/New Mexico/Iowa/Kansas? Cause I can't imagine where you could safely do 100mph or 150mph, let alone not get caught and arrested for such speeds on public roads other than the plain states on some of their straight flat roads with low populations that results in correspondingly low patrol rates....

You do know one of the biggest reasons Jeep has reduced the off-road abilities of their vehicles in favor of on road ability and high speed highway safety, is because of the idiots buying Jeeps and driving them like Corvettes, then when they wreck their Jeep, they blame Jeep for not making a off-road vehicle that drives likes a Corvette, and of course the Media and Government Regulators agree with the Idiots instead of common sense and science.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
USA here.. 3.6L '18 Trailhawk is factory limited to 115mph (185kph). There's plenty of power left, sure, but that's the factory limit. Gentlemen, the wrangler kevlar 265/60r18 has a T speed rating, that's 118mph! FYI. It did feel quite squirrely at that speed, that's coming from a person that races cars and motorcycles on and offroad.

I have a nice speedo video of it hehe. Crossing a bridge in the bay area at 8am, against traffic.

·
Registered
GC High Altitude 4x4
86 Posts
Got the wife her dream car last year, a 2018 grand cherokee overland black with black interior, all the bells and whistles etc...anyway,v6 with 8 speed, pretty peppy by my standards. I’ve gotten it up to 100 with ease and in very short order, still pulling pretty good but I was satisfied with that. To the point: recently my wife admitted she had done something “ stupid” and only told me because not being a car person she thought she may have damaged something. She claims that she wanted to see how fast her baby would go, so while out on a nice long straight country road let it buck. How fast? She said it was doing 150 and still climbing. She only let off because it started to become unstable and there was a burning smell.is this possible??? No way will I attempt to test this out. Ive read other people have had theirs to 130, and of course the track hawk will do 180. I asked if she may have had the speedometer set to kilometers and her reply was no. So....?????
I can’t comment on that limit of speed but I have noticed an odd burning smell with mine about 4 or 5 times when accelerating very hard up to speeds of 60-80. Or hard passing at cruising speeds. It comes on shortly after the engine has been revved up and last only for a few minutes. I do recall reading somewhere else on the thread about something similar with another driver, but don’t recall where. I would initially think it’s new engine burning smell but at this point mine has just over 10,000 miles and I still get the smell. Dunno

·
Registered
731 Posts
150? Are you sure the speedo wasn’t set on kilometers/hour and not MPH?

As Mongo says, almost all vehicles are speed limited based on the factory equipped tire’s rating for liability reasons. Any speeds above that would suggest alteration of that parameter in the engine’s control system.

Love my Jeep, but there’s no way I would want to do those kinds of speeds in it, even where it might be legal!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,176 Posts
Mine's pulled 120 with no problem...clocked by GPS. The Nitto ATs were certainly howling though. :LOL:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've seen the 3.6's tested/timed to 130mph where it topped out (56seconds).
- assuming this is with the 20" wheel package... as everything I've seen on the 18" wheels says they are limited depending on tire to either 118mph(all terrain) or 121mph(all season).
I've seen the 5.7 tested/timed to 142mph where it topped out (92seconds).
- assuming this is with the 20" wheel package... as everything I've seen on the 18" wheels says they are limited to 121mph... and 140mph on the 20" wheel... never had mine over 110mph.
I've seen the 6.4 tested/timed to 155mph (50seconds).
- Jeep claims 160mph... I've only had mine to a hair over 120mph.

I think your wife was mistaken.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agreed.tho as i mentioned in the first post,that was my first question...''are you sure?'' and then ''are you sure it wasnt kilometers?'' she may be stupid,or insane,but definately not illiterate.thats why im just wanting some added input.i mostly question it because at first thought it seems so beyond the pale,but after reading others comments i can see that it certainly is possible,albeit death defying.i will admit over the years,as a younger man i too achieved speeds in cars that were far beyond acceptable capabilities.and more often than not,they were giant land yacths that did it,not muscle cars.ive had numerous buicks,olds,pontiac,and chrysler sedans and wagons in the 130-140 range on bias ply weatherchecked tires.and often the only reason they didnt go faster is i ran out of road.not thumping my chest,just saying that things are possible.wondering if anyone has any links to some high speed jeeps???

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
There is the SRT and Trackhawk, and they have modified suspensions, drivetrains and higher performance tires and larger wheels.....

I'm still curious where these roads are that you're driving in 130mph plus?

In the early 80's when I was teenager, my town in Central PA had a section of unfinished interstate on the edge of town, a 5 mile length of super highway that went no where and thus never had a car on it.... ...I did take a '73 Charger with 318 cuin V8 up to 127mph on that stretch of brand new but deserted road....

·
Registered
cattle
1,262 Posts
My 2014 4WD Summit 5.7L, which came with the 20" tires, is speed limited to 117 and that's as fast as I was able to push it and it was quite easy to do so. It was rock solid at that speed. I did that speed run with 18" Michelins, not the original 20" GYs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is the SRT and Trackhawk, and they have modified suspensions, drivetrains and higher performance tires and larger wheels.....

I'm still curious where these roads are that you're driving in 130mph plus?

In the early 80's when I was teenager, my town in Central PA had a section of unfinished interstate on the edge of town, a 5 mile length of super highway that went no where and thus never had a car on it.... ...I did take a '73 Charger with 318 cuin V8 up to 127mph on that stretch of brand new but deserted road....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
out in the country where we live are countless stretches for miles you can drive and not see anyone,both paved or dirt

·
Registered
6 Posts
With modern technology and modern liability, the manufacturer has the ability to limit the speed of the vehicle and the liability that they are responsible for limiting the speed of the vehicle to prevent irresponsible owners/drivers from exceeding a safe speed for the vehicle....

This is the age of there is no such thing as an irresponsible driver that is responsible for their own actions, there is only evil corporations that fail to protect consumers from their own ignorance and irresponsibility..... ....decisions after decisions and media coverage after coverage has made it clear, corporations are responsible to make their product smarter than the consumer.....

Usually, the manufacturers set the speed limit for the vehicle for the speed rating of the tires that came with the vehicle OEM.... ...simply because of liability, any lawyer will win in court if the manufacturer set a speed limit higher than the spec for the tires the vehicle came with, despite the numerous arguments as to why the vehicle can go faster for short periods are why the vehicle should never go as fast as the tire rating for street conditions with untrained drivers either.....

Look up the speed ratings of the tires that came OEM with the vehicle, I suspect the vehicles speed limiter be set precisely for that speed.... ...perhaps she had the digital speedo set to Metric, cause I have my doubts a V6 WK2 can make it to 150mph......

As well, are you sure you've purchased the right vehicles for your needs and wants? If you drive at 100mph or 150kph/150mph, wouldn't a Corvette/Camaro/Challenger/Charger/Mustang better meet your needs and wants?

Do you live in the 3/4 midwest, Arizona/New Mexico/Iowa/Kansas? Cause I can't imagine where you could safely do 100mph or 150mph, let alone not get caught and arrested for such speeds on public roads other than the plain states on some of their straight flat roads with low populations that results in correspondingly low patrol rates....

You do know one of the biggest reasons Jeep has reduced the off-road abilities of their vehicles in favor of on road ability and high speed highway safety, is because of the idiots buying Jeeps and driving them like Corvettes, then when they wreck their Jeep, they blame Jeep for not making a off-road vehicle that drives likes a Corvette, and of course the Media and Government Regulators agree with the Idiots instead of common sense and science.....
Gee If you have decent well balanced tires and car it aligned there is little danger at 100 MPH on a nice clear clean highway. It does not take long to hit 100. I am not condoning speeding, just saying it is safer with today's cars than the 60s death traps we all sped in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As others here have stated, it could have been KPH, but 150 KPH is about 93 MPH, which ain't too shabby any way you look at it and entirely do-able. For example, Interstate speed limit in Maine is often 75 which means in reality most vehicles are running 85+. Not me, of course.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got in a little bored on a clear highway one day last summer and opened up the 2017 Trailhawk to 110. Came upon traffic fairly quick so i dropped it down to under 80.
I was out of state and if I would have gotten caught I might still be there. :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wife has had the SRT to 150 and it struggled to get there mainly because of aero. It will get to 120 no problem but it really slows down a lot at 140. So I seriously doubt she had her 3.6 up to 150. If its a 5.7, its certainly possible but I think its speed limited to 140 and actualy physics limited to 148.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts