Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I don’t believe the tires are rated for near that speed, at least in the Overland. The vehicle speed limiter is at based on the tires it’s equipped with.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Gee If you have decent well balanced tires and car it aligned there is little danger at 100 MPH on a nice clear clean highway. It does not take long to hit 100. I am not condoning speeding, just saying it is safer with today's cars than the 60s death traps we all sped in.
That is why I am asking, where are these roads? Cause I see very few here on the east coast with such little traffic and so unpatrolled, that you could do more than 100mph safely or when you can safely, not get caught and ticketed or arrested....

Not crashing is not the same as safe....

Can you take a WK2 up to its max speed in the right conditions and not crash, certainly....

But why would want to, and if you want to drive at those speeds why would buy a Jeep that is designed to be driven off-road with design compromises that gives it that off-road ability at the expense of better on-road ability.... ...wouldn't a sports car be a better choice?....

I've got far less of a problem with someone that took his Jeep up to its max speed one time, in the right condition, than a lot of Jeep drivers that have no idea what their Jeep was designed to do, and refuse to educate themselves about it and proceed to drive their Jeep like its the sports car they should have purchased.... ...that's my only point, this is why all Jeeps except the Wrangler no longer have the much more off-capable dual live axles because of many owners that didn't know a Jeep was Jeep.... ...the lawsuits, media coverage and regulation over the years have been ridiculous, cause our culture won't hold people responsible for their own actions and decisions... ...if you want to drive like you own a sports car, you should purchase a sports car, its that simple.... ....that's not directed at the Original Poster, O.P. but its related, but if the O.P. makes a habit of these high speed 100mph+ runs, then yea, I've got to ask, why he didn't just buy a Sports Car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here in SC US 21 has plenty of long stretches if you have a desire to see how fast you can go. Infact there's a part where the asphalt has very large rubber patches in both lanes from the people racing. I had a rental Charger with the V8 hemi and I opened it up one time just to see what it would do (100+) but I wouldn't drive around like that normally as there's way too many deer running around and I like living.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Ummm.... don't remember if it was my 2018 GC Summit V8 or the one before, but it can do 120 MPH no problem..... don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Back in my yute decades ago i remember driving down some lonely Nevada roads where there were 'No Speed Limit' signs posted.
Thats all i needed to test out my slant six Dodge Dart. Can't remember what the top speed was.

I doubt thats the case today.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Thats all i needed to test out my slant six Dodge Dart.
Ah, I had one of those...a 1969. It was my first car, a gift from the 'rents when I turned 21 in the late 1970s. Great engine.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,067 Posts
Back in my yute decades ago i remember driving down some lonely Nevada roads where there were 'No Speed Limit' signs posted.
Thats all i needed to test out my slant six Dodge Dart. Can't remember what the top speed was.

I doubt thats the case today.
Back in 1971, I was cruising the autobahn at @ 130 in a 1970 GTO when I was passed by a Lamborghini that made it look like I was standing still.

My old 1972 Dart with the 318 would do over 100, but I only tried it once and never again.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
My '68 BMW 1600 (predecessor to the famous and much faster 2002) topped out at 99mph, but it would do it all day long. Back before the speed limits changed I used to make it from Durham NC to DC, 258 miles, in three hours, only slowing down for Richmond and Petersburg. Well OK, and South Hill.

I heard a line in a song just last night that reminded me of those days: "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Jim_PA and schmieg,
A trip down memory lane, that is if i can remember. haha
Yep my old '74 Dart made from the Midwest to Cali and back a couple times even towed a U-Haul trailer with my Harley from Cali back to the Midwest,
a few times to Florida and back
and to Arizona and back twice once towing a U-haul trailer.
Man, i loved that old Dart so much i finally drove it into the ground and needed something new.

A little fuzzy what my next car was but seem to remember it was a new '86 Dodge Daytona another great car once they replaced the seized tranny.
Then traded that '86 in for a '89 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo z stick.
Dam wish i still had that car as i've never seen another one of them on the road since.
Sold it and bought a new 1994 Jeep Cherokee and the rest is history.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
I held onto the Dart through my last two years at Penn State and once I was in my first real job, I ordered a 1979 VW Rabbit 4-door, baby blue with a 5 speed. It was the very first one of the line in the old Westmorland PA plant, to the best of my knowledge. That was a race-car compared to the old Dart, but still, that Dart was a good vehicle and I'm thankful that my parents chose it for me so I didn't have to buy rides or hitchhike home from school as well as have something to drive to/from work and band gigs during the summers between my Jr and Sr years. 2-3 vehicles later, I had my first JGC which I "think" was a 1990 Limited, white with gold "highlight" and greenish-tan leather inside. The next one was the MY12 Overland Summit. I bounced around but had a purplish Dodge Intrepid for awhile as well as a gold 1999 Chrysler 300 with a Mazda Millenia S between them.

We now return you to our speeding spouse story already in progress.... :) :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I held onto the Dart through my last two years at Penn State and once I was in my first real job, I ordered a 1979 VW Rabbit 4-door, baby blue with a 5 speed. It was the very first one of the line in the old Westmorland PA plant, to the best of my knowledge. That was a race-car compared to the old Dart, but still, that Dart was a good vehicle and I'm thankful that my parents chose it for me so I didn't have to buy rides or hitchhike home from school as well as have something to drive to/from work and band gigs during the summers between my Jr and Sr years. 2-3 vehicles later, I had my first JGC which I "think" was a 1990 Limited, white with gold "highlight" and greenish-tan leather inside. The next one was the MY12 Overland Summit. I bounced around but had a purplish Dodge Intrepid for awhile as well as a gold 1999 Chrysler 300 with a Mazda Millenia S between them.

We now return you to our speeding spouse story already in progress.... :) :D
Me thinks the speeding spouse thread has burned itself out and morphed into past vehicle stories.

A Dodge Intrepid, forgot about that one? Got one of them when my Father passed.
Good driving car but had no use for it as i had 3 other vehicles at the time.
Gave it to one of my out of work nephews who was happy to get it.

I've had so many vehicles and motor cycles over the past i lost track of some of them.
I do remember the best and worst though.

The 3 worst ones i can remember:

Datsun B210, frame bent in half going over some rough RR tracks. The radio was a joke, sounded no better than a small cheap hand held transistor radio.

Toyota Celica, burnt oil at 10K miles and the manual tranny always stuck in 1st gear when shifting from reverse to 1st gear.
A longer story with that thing but i digress.

'57 Plymouth Savoy hand me down, my 1st car. A rust bucket if i ever seen one.
Just about lost the spare tire out of one of the big rust holes in the trunk.
Another driver flagged me and yelled 'you're losing your spare tire'.
Huh!... pulled over and sure enough the spare was dangling down from the rusted out 1/4 panel.

Worst rust story than that, being in hi school at the time had my eye on this girl.
Seen her walking home from school one day so gathered up the nerve to pull up to her and ask her if she wanted a ride home.
To my awkward teenage surprise, she said OK. Yeeha!
Long story short all was going good UNTIL i made a sharp right turn.
Seems the passenger side of the seat gave way to the rust with her side of the seat now dragging on the road.
Screams... hanging on for dear life.... 'get me out of here' .....Oh the humanity!
Well that was the abrupt end of my 'future' girl friend.

·
Registered
cattle
1,276 Posts
Me thinks the speeding spouse thread has burned itself out and morphed into past vehicle stories.

A Dodge Intrepid, forgot about that one? Got one of them when my Father passed.
Good driving car but had no use for it as i had 3 other vehicles at the time.
Gave it to one of my out of work nephews who was happy to get it.

I've had so many vehicles and motor cycles over the past i lost track of some of them.
I do remember the best and worst though.

The 3 worst ones i can remember:

Datsun B210, frame bent in half going over some rough RR tracks. The radio was a joke, sounded no better than a small cheap hand held transistor radio.
Another bent frame story.... My state agency got new fleet cars back in the 80's and some were the new Chrysler K-cars. In fairness to the cars, they were actually good durable cars.... but.... we got hundreds of them at the central facility and they needed to be sent to offices all over the state. So they were loaded onto large flatbed semi-trailers for transport out of town. And to secure them for transport they were strapped down with the straps hooked to the apparent frame rails and cinched down tight.... and that bent the "frames".

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Another bent frame story.... My state agency got new fleet cars back in the 80's and some were the new Chrysler K-cars. In fairness to the cars, they were actually good durable cars.... but.... we got hundreds of them at the central facility and they needed to be sent to offices all over the state. So they were loaded onto large flatbed semi-trailers for transport out of town. And to secure them for transport they were strapped down with the straps hooked to the apparent frame rails and cinched down tight.... and that bent the "frames".
Wow hundreds of new cars now with bent frames!
How was the cost of the damage resolved?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As an old gear head I owned a 1967 SS 396 Convertible, a 1967 SS 396 hardtop, a 1969 SS 396, a 1970 SS 454, and a 1969 Corvette roadster 427 435 tri power with side pipes and a removable hardtop.
I never drove them over 55 :D

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
My one regret was not getting the LS6 and the L88 vette
I had a '66 Corvette in, oh, '71-'72 or so, that a previous owner had dropped an LS6 into. It would break the tires loose, and not just a little bit, on the 3-4 shift at 100mph. Not a good car for a 20-year-old, but I survived it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts