Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to reboot the UConnect 8.4N in a 2018 Grand Cherokee?

From time to time, UConnect forgets how to connect to Android Auto. I've reset the phone, unplugged/plugged, etc. Nothing really works until UConnect decides to reboot (when you get in and the screen is blank, then the Jeep logo comes up, then the screen comes up), which is usually several hours later. Then the Android Auto works. Note: Bluetooth works fine. Also, the phone itself recognizes Uconnect is connecting and goes into Android Auto.

In my 2014 Cherokee, I could hold the Mute and Browse button for 5-10 sec to cause the radio to soft reboot and that usually fixed any problems (I had an iPhone at that time).

I've tried this with no success. Turning "OFF" the radio and back on, doesn't do anything. Turning the vehicle off and opening the door, then restarting doesn't do anything unless I wait hours.

Any ideas?

(And before someone says "you should have gotten an iPhone", I had way more problems with the iphone not connecting to UConnect and even itunes previously.)

·
Registered
WK2
442 Posts
Try holding the driver's side Temp Up and Temp Down buttons until you get the engineering menu. scroll down to reset radio... hopefully it's the same as the '16 units.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I did try that and all it did was start changing the temperature. Apparently that doesn't work on the 2018's.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Try holding the driver's side Temp Up and Temp Down buttons until you get the engineering menu. scroll down to reset radio... hopefully it's the same as the '16 units.
There are 3 buttons you need to press simultaneously. The Drivers Temp Up and Down
as well as the Front Defrost. You need to hold them all for about 10 to 15 seconds before the other menu is displayed on the radio screen. I think there is a reset function, but I don't recall a reboot option.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Also, not quite in the get-an-iPhone category but close ... have you tried more than one USB cable? Android Auto seems to be pretty finicky about cables in my experience. It's not a binary it-either-works-or-it-doesn't sort of thing ... some cables will kinda work, but not reliably.

·
Registered
2018 WK2 Trailhawk
31 Posts
I have the same exact issue with mine on occasion (usually at the most inopportune time), ive tried different USB cables, it doesn't make a difference until the system has done its own timeout.

·
Super Moderator
9,157 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, not quite in the get-an-iPhone category but close ... have you tried more than one USB cable? Android Auto seems to be pretty finicky about cables in my experience. It's not a binary it-either-works-or-it-doesn't sort of thing ... some cables will kinda work, but not reliably.

Yes, I've tried different cables.

What gets me is:
1) In the morning when I drove to work, it worked fine.
2) When I went to the bank during lunch, it worked fine.
3) When I left the bank and drove to work at noon, it worked fine.
4) After work, I started the vehicle, plugged in the phone, it started to work fine. Then it quit Android Auto and wouldn't reconnect. The blutooth works fine.

2 hours after I shut it off, I tried again and the system booted and it worked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be able to looooooong press in the top right hand corner and it will reset the UAQ. Doesn't have to be in the extreme corner but definitely up in the corner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue as OP. Wondering if a way to do a forced-reboot was ever confirmed in the 2018 Wk2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts