Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im trying to decide what I should buy. I was going to buy a loaded Limited series but I'm having a tough time finding one with all the features i.e. cooled seats.

Overland and Summit seem to offer premium features by default, but the Summit doesn't come cheap...

I work in sales, and I spend 20 to 30 hours per week in the car driving. Lots of freeway and suburbs. I would like something that is fun to drive on and off duty. Someday we'll get ATVs and a boat.

Should I just bite the bullet and go for summit? I feel like the overland caters to someone more out doorsy.

Also summit offers leather upgrade...$5000 is it worth?

Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
The Overland is less blingy than the Summit馃憤

Registered
I had a 2016 JGC Overland. It was stolen and ended up in Tijuana BC Mexico. Some scumbag has it now. I searched all over So. Cal to find replacement for it so I ended up getting a 2019 JGC Trail Hawk the only thing my new JGC Trail Hawk doesn't have that my Overland had is the Sunroof. And I paid less money for a 2019 JGC.

Registered
I work at a Jeep store and drive a '19 Summit with the Hemi. Nice ride for sure. We just got a Summit with the leather upgrade. I wouldn't spend the $ on the leather package, to me it just looks dated with the quilted leather. The standard Summit leather is plenty soft and comfortable.

Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
I was trying to decide between overland and summit and ended up going with the high altitude. It was about the same price as the overland and had pretty much every feature and fascias the summit did minus the suede headliner and probably some other minor things. I liked the look of the summit a lot better with the fender parts (not sure what they're called, the parts that are around the wheels). I also had trouble finding an overland with all the options I wanted, which the Summit/High Altitude came standard with.

Registered
Grand Cherokee SRT
We had a '15 Summit...loved it, but moved up to an '18 SRT! Just traded the wife's Cherokee Trailhawk in on a '20 GC Overland. We considered a Summit again, but besides the suede headliner and a few other minor things, an Overland with ProTech II (Advanced safety features), and the 19 speaker sound system is really just as nice. Bought it Sunday, $9000+ off MSRP. Very happy! It's a V6 (don't need a Hemi ;)), Ivory, Sienna Brown/Black interior, MSRP was 54,570.

Premium Member
Also summit offers leather upgrade...$5000 is it worth?
The $5,000 leather upgrade definitely gives the GC a much more luxurious look and feel but is not necessary by any means. A totally optional preference thing.... I wanted something different so gave it a try. I figured that the GC is still so much less money than a foreign competitor that I'd spend a bit more this time. I do get comments on it all the time from new passengers ... wow this is a really nice SUV type of thing. It is noticeable even if people can't but their finger on why.

Registered
My wife and I had a 2016 JGC Overland. It ran away from home. (aka was stolen) we replaced it with a 2019 JGC Trailhawk .

Registered
I bought a 鈥14 Summit last year. Really, really like it but now I wish I would have found an Overland instead. We live in Colorado and while we鈥檙e not into the rock crawling thing there are plenty of trails we would do.

The Summit with its low hanging facisa (spelling) perhaps is not the best choice. That鈥檚 the only reason why I would step away from a Summit.

Registered
Grand Cherokee SRT
I bought a 鈥14 Summit last year. Really, really like it but now I wish I would have found an Overland instead. We live in Colorado and while we鈥檙e not into the rock crawling thing there are plenty of trails we would do.

The Summit with its low hanging facisa (spelling) perhaps is not the best choice. That鈥檚 the only reason why I would step away from a Summit.
That's exactly why we went with the Overland instead of the Summit this time. I really liked my '15 Summit but it's body kit doesn't really lend itself to too much off-roading. I didn't like the lack of tow hooks on a Jeep. Of course, the lack of tow hooks on my SRT are acceptable.:)

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
I'd go with the High Altitude (that's what I did) The Harman Kardon 19 speaker system is a must if you go with one of the upper models. I also like the look of the High Altitude over the Summit / Overland. As far as front tow hooks go they can be added along with skid plates! My previous GC was a Limited (was okay) IMO if you get a Limited after a while you'll be regretting you didn't go for the higher trim model!

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
I really liked my '15 Summit but it's body kit doesn't really lend itself to too much off-roading. I didn't like the lack of tow hooks on a Jeep. Of course, the lack of tow hooks on my SRT are acceptable.:)
Tow hooks and skid plates can be added on a Summit or High Altitude model. (I have both)

Registered
Still very pleased with 2017 Overland choice for best overall balance between interior leather and features for price paid (don't often see the contrast seat piping and dash stitching). Running boards and roof racks finish off the exterior for little additional $.

Registered
Grand Cherokee SRT
Tow hooks and skid plates can be added on a Summit or High Altitude model. (I have both)

View attachment 221312
Yes, I added skid plates to our Summit. Looked into tow hooks, but decided against it. The Summit, HA, and Overlands are all nice rides especially if they have the essential safety features (Protect II) and the 19 speaker HK system. Two musts IMO.

Registered
2018 GC HA
I agree with Paullee01, the High Altitude is the way to go if you are torn between Overland and Summit. I have one myself and I drive a lot like you do (sales). It is 1 year and 10 months old and about to hit 97,000 miles. I started a thread to chronicle my maintenance and repairs. The thread hasn't been updated for a while but it will be in the next week or so as I am currently having an air suspension issue. Something with the valves not working. Luckily I was smart enough to purchase a MaxCare plan so the repair will be covered. A Maximum Care plan is one thing YOU MUST make sure you get if you are driving a lot. Mine is 5 years/unlimited miles and I paid $1795 for it. A link to my thread is below.

2018 high mileage High Altitude

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
I did and I don't. Just sayin'... ;)
My first GC was a 2014 Limited I kept if for 5 1/2 years (great vehicle) I guess what I was trying to say is now after having a more equipped GC, 19 speaker Harman Kardon, lane assist, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, vented seats, air suspension etc. I wouldn't go back to a Limited. Glad you're enjoying yours!

Premium Member
I get it. My point though ... or rather I guess part of my point ... is that except for the HK, you don't have to go with a higher trim model to get all that, or at least you didn't when I ordered my 2018. I in fact have all of that, and ORA-II, etc. -- everything except the HK (and I'm happy enough with the Alpine).

I specifically did NOT want one of the higher trims because I didn't want logos and piping on the seats, leather and stitching on the dashboard, wood on the steering wheel, etc. I even like the fact that my beige leather interior has black carpeting instead of beige floors like the Overland does. And I like the 18" wheels on my Limited much better than the Overland ones. Etc. ...

It didn't hurt that I saved a few (but only a few) bucks in the bargain, but I think it mostly really goes back to around 1975 when I came home from school wearing an Izod polo and my father made some disparaging remark about a ten-dollar alligator on a three-dollar shirt. And then there was the pin-striping I made the dealer remove from my 1982 RX-7 ...

Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
Bubba where kinda getting off topic it's really not about us. I originally suggested to the OP to go with a High Altitude because it has all the features he was looking for and may regret it down the road. (If I recall he mentioned he couldn't find a Limited equipped to his liking) I agree with you about the wood trim wheel, logos and I am not a fan of all the chrome on the Summit / Overland. (It's nice to have choices) That's why I went with an HA. I actually like the leather dash and glad to see that Jeep is stepping up and repairing it on some of the older models. As you can see from the pic it doesn't have most of the things you mentioned but does have everything the OP mentioned. I'm surprised the OP never came back to this thread letting us know what he wound up with....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts