Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015 3.6L with a blown motor. The GC has 40k miles on it. I sourced a 2019 GC as a parts vehicle for my Trackhawk build.
Dealer says the 2019 motor won’t work in the 2015. They couldn’t tell me what was different. Anyone know what changes might have been implemented that would cause this?

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
Changes were made for MY17 to the Pentastar engine that also included electronic changes to support start/stop, etc. It's essentially a "different" engine and supports. That may be the crux of your issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I guess the follow up question would be is it possible to easily work around these differences?
The other option would be to take the interior from the 2015 and swap into the burned 2019.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
A TrackHawk has the supercharged 6.2L V8, not a 3.6L?
Engine swaps aren't like decades ago, where you just wired up the coil and starter motor to the car.....
The engine is supported by electronics and software, with no support for customizing the software.... ...then the modules communicate to operate properly....
So there is no easy work around.
It might be as simple as you'll have check engine lights that you'll never be able to put out, to the engine will run horrible to not run at all.... ....no one knows and won't know unless you someone tries this.... ....so are you going to the expense, time and effort just to find out it won't work?
The Manufacturer's have idiot proofed the Dealer Tools to n'th degree, which reduces the amount of screw ups the Dealers make, but also leave them locked into the standard service only, so towing it to the dealer and telling him to try to make a 2019 PCM work with 2015 WIN and other anti-theft modules, he's going to tell you the Tools won't let him even try it, let alone how is he going to do it.....

You could do some research, find out if the 2015 and 2019 engine are really different.... ...if they are mechanically identical to include the sensors it should work... ...if they were identical, then a replacement engine would have the same part number for both years... ....I suspect when you asked the Dealer he looked up the part numbers and they were different, that is likely why he said they can't be swapped, and he doesn't know why they can't be swapped, all he knows if they could be swapped they would have the same part number....

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
16 Posts
Your 2015 has a 3.6 Pentastar engine, the 2019 has a 3.6 PUG engine. PUG stands for Pentatsar Upgrade. I think the biggest difference on the PUG is that it has EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). The engines are not interchangeable and the dealer has given you the correct advice.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
16 Posts
Your 2015 has a 3.6 Pentastar engine, the 2019 has a 3.6 PUG engine. PUG stands for Pentatsar Upgrade. I think the biggest difference on the PUG is that it has EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). The engines are not interchangeable and the dealer has given you the correct advice.
Sorry, I mean't Pentastar, not Pentatsar. Laptop keyboard is going bad:confused:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. The Trackhawk is a completely separate vehicle. It will be receiving frame rails and aprons from one of the two donor vehicles that were the subject of this thread.
At this point, it sounds like the 2015 will be my donor vehicle to repair the Trackhawk and the burned 2019 Laredo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. The Trackhawk is a completely separate vehicle. It will be receiving frame rails and aprons from one of the two donor vehicles that were the subject of this thread.
At this point, it sounds like the 2015 will be my donor vehicle to repair the Trackhawk and the burned 2019 Laredo.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,176 Posts
Changes were made for MY17 to the Pentastar engine that also included electronic changes to support start/stop, etc. It's essentially a "different" engine and supports. That may be the crux of your issue.
It was applied to MY16 for the WK2 when auto stop start was added.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,176 Posts
OP is probably left with a narrow window of 14-15. Not sure if the 11-13 is compatible but they also have the head issue that he might run into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the stop start is the issue and maybe diff engine mount location, I would imagine I could take swap the pcm and complete suspension and tranny and it should work. That is unless there is something behind the dash on the interior that regulates engine management that I am unaware of.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
If the stop start is the issue and maybe diff engine mount location, I would imagine I could take swap the pcm and complete suspension and tranny and it should work. That is unless there is something behind the dash on the interior that regulates engine management that I am unaware of.
The engine mount would be the least of your problems, there is probably a bracket that just needs to be swapped, but they may have changed the block, so you're going to want to confirm that.....

When was VVL added to the 3.6L, a motor with VVL swapped in to use a PCM without VVL, the motor wouldn't work... ...Swapping the PCM into a vehicle without the wireharness to support it is a nightmare....

How are you going to start it?
The immobilizer in the PCM has to talk to the WIN and other modules, compare VIN#, before it will allow the vehicle to start..... ...you'd have to get the VIN #'s programmed into those modules, and then they could have different pin-outs and/or different protocols and thus won't work or talk to each other...

It might work, it might not, and I'm sure there are a dozen other "gotcha's" with so many things all inter-operable on a CAN Bus....

If you can use the 2019 as a donor car for the 2015, and the entire drivetrain and wiring harness and the modules are useable in the 2019, it might be practical and even then you may go broke trying to solve all the problems and the time to swap over everything mechanical and electronic in the 2019 to the 2015....

The thing is all the electronics and the pitiful support the Manufacturers provide for them (all manufacturers, not just FCA), make franken cars just absolutely impractical today......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t really want to deal with wiring issues. At this point I am thinking I can take the interior out of my 15 and dump it into the 2019.

fire didn’t make it down all the way to the floor board so that’s nice. 😂
7448A30E-F482-4578-8E97-4ACA574D323F.jpeg
74FA0AE6-6474-45C1-8F3F-51C7578BC425.jpeg

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
I don't know what you can use that 2019 burnt out vehicle for? Mechanical parts in the drivetrain and suspension, and that's it....

I think your going to have to move everything wire harness's, modules, interior parts... ...it will be a franken vehicle, which I just spoke about.....

And then you still have the problem of start/stop, will the 2019 start/stop drivetrain work just fine with the 2015 electronics connected to it?

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
The fire may have weakened key parts of the structure from the heat...I don't know that I'd try to do anything to turn that into a working vehicle. Donate parts to another...perhaps...but nothing that was in close proximity to the fire.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
Still don’t understand how your building a Trackhawk with 2 grand Cherokee’s. Maybe a Trailhawk?
He stated there is a separate Trackhawk that he is going to use both cars for parts.... ...so I guess he has a wrecked TrackHawk as well....
Not sure why he wants to swap motors in the 2 V6 WK2's? I guess he wants to make 2 cars out of 3 wrecked cars....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts