Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just upgraded the Alpine 9 speaker system with new speakers:

Fronts: Focal ISU 690 - $200 new (I set up alerts on eBay and Amazon on camelcamelcamel for 3rd party)
Rears: Focal ISC 165 6-3/4 - $80 new
No sound deadening.
No center speaker – yet.

ALL - (2) Pair of Metra 72-6514 Speaker Wire Adapters - 4 Total Adapters – just so you don’t have to splice.
Rears - SCOSCHE SAC656 1995-Up 6.75" to 6.5" or 5.25" Speaker Adapter Pair
**NOTE – the SCOSCHE mounting adapters were junk! Will be returning them. And it was easier to drill into the stock plastic mount/frame. Just 3 holes as it wasn’t going anywhere. See pic.

Crossovers: only used the crossovers on the tweeters. Still had to splice for the tweeters. Saved the wire cutoff for when I put the stock ones back in. The focal tweeters actually fit behind the stock tweeter grill. Just used a few pieces of 3M double sided foam tape. Fits like a glove.

First impressions: I only had the fronts installed for about 2 days before I did the rears. The sound was much improved, clearer, and you could hear all instruments. Based on reviews, others said the highs were either too high or harsh, but I highly disagree. (just my opinion) I think they are just right. But I’m coming from a background of drums where I have some focus on the high-hats. For just replacing the speakers and not the amp nor sub, I think this has been a great upgrade. Sounds slightly louder, but it may be because it’s clear.

Equalizer settings are at: Bass: +3, Treble: +5, and Mid: +1. And have the balance two clicks towards the front. Rear tweeters pointing straight down.

I was considering the following speakers for the rears but that would’ve pushed my budget. I’m happy with my upgrade. If I keep the car past the lease, then I may upgrade again. But I’d really have to be bored.
Focal PC 165
Focal Performance 165 AC

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow that is great thank you for share your experience. I have been looking at upgrading my speakers as well. I wanted focals but was willing to settle for infinity reference due to costing about half the price of the focals. However, with the prices your found yours at. It gives me hope and I will do some more searching to see if I can find them at those prices as well. Did you pick them up from a particular seller on ebay or amazon? Also, do you plan on doing the rear D pillars?!?!

·
Registered
JGC
128 Posts
@Fullylocked7937 I did the Infinity Reference setup and love it. Can't beat the price. I bought from Amazon and Crutchfield (wait for Crutchfield sale ... they have them regularly). Crutchfield will also have the adapters you need. Get the center 3022cfx, front doors 9620cx, and rear doors 6522ix. I chose not to replace the D pillars as all the threads I read said not worth it as they emit so little sound. Also, you won't have to replace the sub as after you install the Infinity's, the sub will be noticeable again. Not sure why, with the factory alpine speakers, I couldn't hear/feel the sub. Buy a few extra door moulding clips ... they're cheap and you'll likely need to replace a couple. Finally, as the OP stated, wrap the tweeters in 3M double sided tape and they'll fit like a glove. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Fullylocked7937 I did the Infinity Reference setup and love it. Can't beat the price. I bought from Amazon and Crutchfield (wait for Crutchfield sale ... they have them regularly). Crutchfield will also have the adapters you need. Get the center 3022cfx, front doors 9620cx, and rear doors 6522ix. I chose not to replace the D pillars as all the threads I read said not worth it as they emit so little sound. Also, you won't have to replace the sub as after you install the Infinity's, the sub will be noticeable again. Not sure why, with the factory alpine speakers, I couldn't hear/feel the sub. Buy a few extra door moulding clips ... they're cheap and you'll likely need to replace a couple. Finally, as the OP stated, wrap the tweeters in 3M double sided tape and they'll fit like a glove. Good luck.
@jgcrp1 Thanks for the help I added them to my cart in Amazon. Was about to hit the but button and the 6x9 went unavailable smh lol. I will keep an eye out and see if they restock it and pull the trigger. Thanks again for the information. These forum and users like yourself help the community so much. Thanks to everyone that has been sharing. I've been reading and learning a lot.

·
Registered
JGC
128 Posts
@Fullylocked7937 Checked my invoice from Crutchfield, from when I’d ordered mine, and you’ll also need these:
Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Chrysler/Dodge
Metra 72-6514 Speaker Wiring Harness
Quantity​
Price​
Total​
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Quantity​
Price​
Total​
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Metra Wire Harness speakers, 1990-up
Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters
Quantity​
Price​
Total​
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Fullylocked7937 Checked my invoice from Crutchfield, from when I’d ordered mine, and you’ll also need these:
Quantity​
Price​
Total​
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Quantity​
Price​
Total​
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Metra Wire Harness speakers, 1990-up
Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters
Quantity​
Price​
Total​
1​
$0.00​
$0.00​
Ok cool ill pick those up as well thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow that is great thank you for share your experience. I have been looking at upgrading my speakers as well. I wanted focals but was willing to settle for infinity reference due to costing about half the price of the focals. However, with the prices your found yours at. It gives me hope and I will do some more searching to see if I can find them at those prices as well. Did you pick them up from a particular seller on ebay or amazon? Also, do you plan on doing the rear D pillars?!?!
I picked them up from Amazon seller - Sold by: LATDS. I don't see anymore listed from that seller but camelcamelcamel you can setup alerts without signing up. Super easy to use. I'm not going to do the D pillars since it's way too far behind me to be noticeable. And I don't think the size would do anything either.

After having the Harman/Kardon Logic7 system in an older BMW, I long for that feeling again. In the BMW the speakers were up higher, and subwoofer under each front seat. And smaller cabin. Comparing the two. HK was slightly louder and could make you want to turn down the volume. I think it's only off by a few degrees between the Focal and that HK system. I think with an amp and one sub under the seat and a few more hundred dollars, it would blow it out of the water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked them up from Amazon seller - Sold by: LATDS. I don't see anymore listed from that seller but camelcamelcamel you can setup alerts without signing up. Super easy to use. I'm not going to do the D pillars since it's way too far behind me to be noticeable. And I don't think the size would do anything either.

After having the Harman/Kardon Logic7 system in an older BMW, I long for that feeling again. In the BMW the speakers were up higher, and subwoofer under each front seat. And smaller cabin. Comparing the two. HK was slightly louder and could make you want to turn down the volume. I think it's only off by a few degrees between the Focal and that HK system. I think with an amp and one sub under the seat and a few more hundred dollars, it would blow it out of the water.

View attachment 222631
Man, that is some sound data. I am going to really keep an eye out for them.

·
Registered
JGC
128 Posts
@Fullylocked7937 Couple of last comments. I did not utilize the infinity crossover ... still in the box. Also, for the rear door speakers, point the tweeters to the floor and on the speakers set the treble boost to off. On the 3M double sided tape for the front door tweeters, it's the foam tape with the green X's on the pull off. I had followed @imprezziveWK2’s recommendations throughout the purchase and installation back in 2016 ...very happy with the results. If you use the search function, there is a lot out there on both the Infinity and Focal setups. The Infinity setup will seem bright at first, but that will settle down after a month or two of use. In my case, with my hearing, I like it a little bright.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Fullylocked7937 Couple of last comments. I did not utilize the infinity crossover ... still in the box. Also, for the rear door speakers, point the tweeters to the floor and on the speakers set the treble boost to off. On the 3M double sided tape for the front door tweeters, it's the foam tape with the green X's on the pull off. I had followed @imprezziveWK2’s recommendations throughout the purchase and installation back in 2016 ...very happy with the results. If you use the search function, there is a lot out there on both the Infinity and Focal setups. The Infinity setup will seem bright at first, but that will settle down after a month or two of use. In my case, with my hearing, I like it a little bright.
Thanks, I will do a search for both setups and see what others have learned and experience. I was beating myself trying to figure out how would I get the crossover to fit into the equation so that is very useful info.

Guys keep the tips and tricks coming lol Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, So here is my update. I installed front speakers with the tweeters which are the ISU690 and installed the crossovers for the tweeters. For the rear, I did the ISU165 I use just the woofers without the crossovers (got a great deal from sonicelectronic.com). I was thinking that I could at a later time add the other set of tweeters in the rear doors by cutting a hole and placing them but that is for another time. For the center, I was able to find a Polk DB351 and I do agree with everyone upgrading that center speaker makes a big difference.

So everything is up and running it was a pretty easy install and took me about 3hrs. Now the sound quality is a lot cleaner and clearer. But with the factory system, I would always have the EQ setting set like this: bass+1, mids+8, treb+8 and at volume 25 it would rattle the whole vehicle. and still, produce a nice audio level. With these new focal they are not sounding any better than the factory speakers when it comes to the volume level. I have read from a lot of the post on this forum. that it will take a while for the speakers to break-in. So I will let them run for a bit to see if they improve as everyone has stated.

But now I wonder if it is true that to get the most out of these speakers you need to add an amp? I have a few other components lying around (a Pioneer DPS, and a Pac audio kit for the Grand Cherokee) which I do plan on adding at some point. If after a while the sound does not improve I may go back and install the crossovers on the woofers. They are giving a wavy bass feeling almost like a reverb instead of a nice hard hit from the woofers. They are properly secured as well I checked last night when I got home from work.

Also, everything else that I connect to the system android auto, FM, Sirus XM, seems to have a weak audio volume. It is still super clear and crisp but a bit on the weaker side of things if I explained that correctly. Again they have only been installed for two days with me using the jeep to go to work for the past two days for about 1 to 2hrs. So I am nowhere near that 20hrs I have seen other users mentioned. So I will keep updating you guys as I learn more. Thank you all for all of the help you guys provided me. I had a lot of fun doing this install. If you guys have any more suggestions please send them my way I am definitely willing to learn.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Less MAX volume, or just less volume at a given setting on the volume knob?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Less volume at the given knob location as an example at volume 26 its not as high as before. but the sound is a lot more clearer and crisp at that volume. With the old factory speakers it sounded somewhat muffled. Their are definitely an upgrade after a week or two once they break-in ill see how they sound. Worst comes to it ill start on adding my amp to it and give these speakers some more power.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I wouldn't worry about where you are on the dial if you're not maxed out and it's not distorting -- just turn it up a little more!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah agreed lol, it was just something that I noticed. As well now I can tell which streaming service has crappy audio. So far Play music has beaten out Spotify, Pandora, and Sirus XM. I plan on trying out Amazons HD music next to see how that sounds.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Sirius XM is definitely going to be the worst. I get pretty good quality on Spotify and Pandora, but check your settings -- one or the other of them, if not both, has settings for both streaming and download quality.

Also don't be afraid to play with your equalizer and front/rear balance settings a lot. Start with everything zeroed out and work in small increments from there.

And definitely don't decide to spend any more money until you've let it all break in for longer than you might think.

Oh and one more thing ... depending on what source (phone?) you're using, you might get very different quality over bluetooth vs. wired. My Samsung Galaxy S7 had a lot of problems over bluetooth, and wasn't all that great over a USB connection. But my S10E sounds really good (to me at least) either way.

·
Registered
JGC
128 Posts
As @Fullylocked7937 noticed, once you swap out your speakers, you can max out your volume and your speakers will emit clean, non-distorted sound/music. That said, I do not run max volume but have cranked it up to hear/test it and it's perfectly clear. Additionally, you'll hear/feel your sub again and likely hear notes on music you've listened to before that you've never heard. Swapping out speakers is the best bang for the buck mod you can perform on a WK2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome advice @BubbaATL thank you I definitely will follow your tips. I have been messing with the EQ little by little It will eventually get into its groove. I'm giving it the time that it will need

And I agree 100% with @jgcrp1 The sound is so much cleaner and sharp. It is night and day compared to the original speakers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts