Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know that it has an emergency key for the doors.

The manual says to push it sideways to remove it. Page 20 of the manual.

I don't want to break it so I'm not forcing it.

Any advice on how to get it to open?

If I replace the cr2032 battery will it have to be reprogrammed?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
There's a release on the back of the remote, push it to the side and the key slides right out.

No programming necessary when changing the batteries. I am in the habit of cycling the locks and starting the vehicle when changing the batteries. Its a habit from my Saab days.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
428 Posts
The silver part of your fob is the top of the metal key. It slides out of the fob easily, once you slide the release button to the side. The release is what goes sideways - not the key. Key pulls straight out. Key snaps right back into the fob without moving the spring-loaded release. I do it periodically to "play" with the key and clean the pocket lint out of the crannies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks I didn't see that switch. Seems it should have been included in the manual description.

I just noticed that I posted under the grand Cherokee section. MIne is a 2019 Cherokee Latitude.

The manual showed a screw to open the key fob to get to the battery.
Mine seems to have a notch to pry it open I guess with a screw driver.
Is that how to open it?

If the battery is all it needs, looks like the dealer lied when they say they will have to reprogram the computer.

This is the link to the same key fob that I have:

Even when I bought the car new the salesman told me it costs $200 to reprogram the computer if
the battery goes dead. NEVER TRUST a CAR DEALER or HORSE THEIF.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
428 Posts
Yup, the key is paired with the vehicle and only gets paired once. After pairing you can change the battery without any issues or need for reprograming - unless the dealer gave you a "spare" that hasn't been paired already (unlikely).

I use a coin to pop open my fob to replace the battery. I can't remember the best fit, but it makes less marks than a screwdriver. My 2014 fob was virtually waterproof - went through the wash with no ill effects. My 2018 fob went through the wash too - and got wet inside, killed the battery, and had to be dried out. Fortunately, it still works fine and I'm more careful now. ;)

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
The manual showed a screw to open the key fob to get to the battery.
Mine seems to have a notch to pry it open I guess with a screw driver.
Is that how to open it?
I wonder if the manual is outlining the old Mercedes style fob. I'm not familiar with what was used on the Cherokee.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same one that is in the video I posted. I have two of them that I got with the car when new.
I ordered the batteries so now I know how to change them. Too bad the manual doesn't tell you what is needed for
this simple solution.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
The silver part of your fob is the top of the metal key. It slides out of the fob easily, once you slide the release button to the side. The release is what goes sideways - not the key. Key pulls straight out. Key snaps right back into the fob without moving the spring-loaded release. I do it periodically to "play" with the key and clean the pocket lint out of the crannies.
I'll be damned, I had no idea 😃 thanx for the info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.