Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (bright white)
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, very happy with my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, which, I drove off the lot, 17 March 2018.

On a few occasions while driving on local city streets, holding the steering wheel with both hands, I've gotten an alert tone and an Instrument Cluster Display message advising me to keep my hands on the steering wheel. I immediately gripped the steering wheel tighter, then the message went away.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the steering wheel or to disable this feature? Never got this advisory while driving my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk.

Tried searching through the Jeep manual and Uconnect manual, calling Jeep Customer Care and Uconnect, but could not get info about this safety feature.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My grandparents have a 2015 Chrysler 200 with the tech packages. Every now and then gram will get the alert while she's driving. Pap could never get it to do it. I tried one day when I was driving them and the only way I got it to do it was take my hands completely off the wheel and let it steer itself around an interstate turn lol (no cars around me, my hands were hovering over the wheel just not touching it, yadda yadda yadda).
I think gram just has a lighter grip so maybe that's what does it? But even me just resting a finger or two on the center spokes didn't set it off...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I think gram just has a lighter grip so maybe that's what does it? But even me just resting a finger or two on the center spokes didn't set it off...
Well, I am a member of the mature retired crowd.:drool: Tried letting go of the steering wheel on an empty section of straight roadway, with my hands hovering just out of touch of the wheel. I could not get that warning. Oddly enough, after that brief test when I had both hands back on the wheel, the warning sounded and the message appeared. The alert went away after a second or 2 without my doing anything differently. It had been many days since I'd last received that alert. Odd.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2014 Cherokee Limite
355 Posts
First off, very happy with my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, which, I drove off the lot, 17 March 2018.

On a few occasions while driving on local city streets, holding the steering wheel with both hands, I've gotten an alert tone and an Instrument Cluster Display message advising me to keep my hands on the steering wheel. I immediately gripped the steering wheel tighter, then the message went away.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the steering wheel or to disable this feature? Never got this advisory while driving my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk.

Tried searching through the Jeep manual and Uconnect manual, calling Jeep Customer Care and Uconnect, but could not get info about this safety feature.
Actually it has to do with the lane divergence on the Tech group/safety.
I have a 2014 with the complete Tech group set up. I have gotten that several times and I believe it has more to do with not keeping in your lane and have the system needing to correct. Green is good on the indicator.
If you keep overriding the system wanting to move the vehicle from green then the system will shut down for awhile.

The system will sense when you drift outside the parameters, green and yellow and issue a verbal warning. It will assume your hands are not on the wheel. That is my understanding of it.
Probably a good warning if you start dozing off or are distracted.
Get outside that yellow bar and that's it, the Cherokee yells at you.
By the way my wife just loved it when it did that to me.

Basically all your settings for the tech group are located under the settings tab in u-connect.
There are many different things you can change, except I believe the lane divergence.
Also your ACC you can adjust the trailing distance of the vehicle ahead of you.
that is located on the steering wheel by the cruise controls. Also the diagram of the distance setting is located by the ACC set speed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also your ACC you can adjust the trailing distance of the vehicle ahead of you.
Of all the tech, I probably actively use ACC the most. Noticed the 2019 offers an additional trailing distance graduation over what was available in the 2016.

Guess I've subconsciously been conditioned by my Jeep to comply with its steering criteria. Haven't gotten the steering wheel alert in many days.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cherokee Limite
355 Posts
Of all the tech, I probably actively use ACC the most. Noticed the 2019 offers an additional trailing distance graduation over what was available in the 2016.

Guess I've subconsciously been conditioned by my Jeep to comply with its steering criteria. Haven't gotten the steering wheel alert in many days.
Yes, as its better than having your vehicle yell at you!:lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
The way I have seen it (2015 model) it will auto correct itself 3 times then scream to put your hands on the wheel. It seems to detect steering wheel manual movement rather than grip strength.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2019 Trailhawk that seems to do display this error for unknown reasons going down the road.
Another thing I noticed is that the lane assist is too sensitive. If I don't keep my vehicle perfectly in the center of the lane then its correcting my steering which is annoying. At least let someone get close to the line before correcting steering.

I pretty much disable Lane assist every time I'm on the freeway now because of this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2019 Trailhawk that seems to do display this error for unknown reasons going down the road.
Another thing I noticed is that the lane assist is too sensitive. If I don't keep my vehicle perfectly in the center of the lane then its correcting my steering which is annoying. At least let someone get close to the line before correcting steering.

I pretty much disable Lane assist every time I'm on the freeway now because of this.
Haven't experienced any issues with Lane Assist. I conditioned myself to very slightly turn the steering wheel to stop the hands off warnings without thinking about it, so I rarely notice the warnings, anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.