Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2019 GC and i now have 1422 miles on it. in that time frame i have added 1.5 additional quarts of oil to it. This don't seem right to me. i know it needs to break in and everything but that seems excessive to me. i did it's first oil change on it today with mopar oil and a mopar oil filter. i will be keeping an eye on this and i am going to have the dealership start documenting my oil consumption as well. Are any of you having this type of oil consumption? let me know

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought a 2019 GC and i now have 1422 miles on it. in that time frame i have added 1.5 additional quarts of oil to it. This don't seem right to me. i know it needs to break in and everything but that seems excessive to me. i did it's first oil change on it today with mopar oil and a mopar oil filter. i will be keeping an eye on this and i am going to have the dealership start documenting my oil consumption as well. Are any of you having this type of oil consumption? let me know
That sounds very unusual. My 2012, with the same engine and 148,000 miles on it, never uses any oil. You have something wrong with your engine.

·
Registered
Overland
132 Posts
I have a problem with what current MFG standards are for excessive oil consumption. Most MFGs will consider 1 qt/1000 miles acceptable. I say BS. I have had many vehicles both gas and diesel that rarely use a quart every 5K. My current 2014 Overland 3.6 with 196000 uses less than .5 qt ever 5K. Definately monitor consumption ever 1K miles and document. Good luck and hope it was just a fluke.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
Just wondering what weight oil is now called for in the JGC. My '14 3.6 uses 5w20, and I've never had to add any. Our new model '17 Compass uses 0w20 and goes through a quart every 1,000 miles. FCA says that's normal. Go figure.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
1Qt/1000mi is on old rule thumb from the 50's...... ....and if you exceeded that it meant the engine was worn out and needed a replacement.....
Today, for some reasons FCA has decided to adopt the 1950's rule of thumb for when a motor is worn-out as their standard for oil consumption on a brand new modern engine.... :rolleyes: Or perhaps their bottom of the barrel dealerships are passing this along.....

The reality is, if the test and development of the motor didn't come up with oil consumption standards, then they can basically use any justification they want as to what is too much oil consumption..... ....So when the Dealer tells you, up to 1Qt/1,000mi is normal, you can tell them, "So, the 1950's standard of oil consumption for a worn out motor is FCA's standard for a brand new, modern motor? Yea, I see what kind of Company I'm dealing with now".....

Keep in mind, there are exceptions, Wankel Rotor Engines and Super/Turbo Charged Engines often do have high oil consumption, this is normal and a drawback of their design.....

Overfilling the oil level will cause oil consumption, and FCA has been putting mis-marked oil dipsticks in their engine for several model years that lead to over-filling on oil.....

Bad PCV and/or crankcase ventilation can cause excessive oil consumptions.... ....even a dirty air filter (and a new one could get excessively dirty under some circumstances) can cause it.....

Using the wrong oil viscosity can cause excessive oil consumption.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with my local dealer today and he said to give it time to break in. at 5000 he will then start an excessive oil consumption test for me if i feel it is still using oil. i agreed to wait a little longer and in the mean time keep an eye on the oil level. it seems reasonable to give it a little time, but i will keep bugging him and documenting my visits to the dealership for future reference

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's not just FCA that says losing 1 qt per 1,000 miles is within factory spec. I'm on several Honda motorcycle forums and owners who have had oil burning issues have been told the same thing by their Honda dealer.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
Of my list, I forgot a new engine that needs to break-in, after break-in they usually seal better, particularly the piston rings that will allow oil blow-by and burning oil....

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes i have been putting oil in my 19 grand cherokee overland dealer said nothing wrong bull its going some were plus coolant is down again a quart and a half head gasket is going slowly they did test but you know cant find anything just part changers these days

·
Registered
15 Posts
1Qt/1000mi is on old rule thumb from the 50's...... ....and if you exceeded that it meant the engine was worn out and needed a replacement.....
Today, for some reasons FCA has decided to adopt the 1950's rule of thumb for when a motor is worn-out as their standard for oil consumption on a brand new modern engine.... :rolleyes: Or perhaps their bottom of the barrel dealerships are passing this along.....

The reality is, if the test and development of the motor didn't come up with oil consumption standards, then they can basically use any justification they want as to what is too much oil consumption..... ....So when the Dealer tells you, up to 1Qt/1,000mi is normal, you can tell them, "So, the 1950's standard of oil consumption for a worn out motor is FCA's standard for a brand new, modern motor? Yea, I see what kind of Company I'm dealing with now".....

Keep in mind, there are exceptions, Wankel Rotor Engines and Super/Turbo Charged Engines often do have high oil consumption, this is normal and a drawback of their design.....

Overfilling the oil level will cause oil consumption, and FCA has been putting mis-marked oil dipsticks in their engine for several model years that lead to over-filling on oil.....

Bad PCV and/or crankcase ventilation can cause excessive oil consumptions.... ....even a dirty air filter (and a new one could get excessively dirty under some circumstances) can cause it.....

Using the wrong oil viscosity can cause excessive oil consumption.....
All very true...but not for an engine with 1422 miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BMW, Porsche, etc. are all at that point. 0 weight for mileage, or so they claim. My 2019 Hemi is good so far, knock on wood!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 2500 miles on my 2019 Trailhawk with the V6 and it has used no oil. My 2012 JGC, also the 6, has about 215,000 miles and uses no oil. You have a problem; stay on the dealer to make them address it properly!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a small update .. I changed the factory fill oil out at 1500 miles with the recommended Pensoil 0w20 and a new mopar oil filter. i now have 3000 miles on the Jeep 1500 miles on the new oil and have not used any oil so far. it is looking good since the oil change

·
Registered
11 Posts
does all the jeeps have a valve tap issue some times very loud i changed my oil to and no more burning also the upper hose had a small hole enough to loose fluid since jeep could not find the problem and they did so they said a pressure test.i told them i was finding fluid in my garage but sometimes matters are in our own hands

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
does all the jeeps have a valve tap issue some times very loud i changed my oil to and no more burning also the upper hose had a small hole enough to loose fluid since jeep could not find the problem and they did so they said a pressure test.i told them i was finding fluid in my garage but sometimes matters are in our own hands
What year, engine, oil and oil filter?
No, the engines aren't suppose to have valve train noise. Although the HEMI does have a reputation for a tick.....
Some of the really cheap oil filters, like the orange fram, can cause valvetrain noise.....
Purge Solenoids, broken exhaust studs and other things can cause ticking that might be mistaken as valvetrain noise....
Both the Hemi and V6 have had lifter/follower fail that causes valve train damage, so you want to confirm this is no the case for you.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts