Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other week, I started using the Auto climate setting and left it on 70. I figured why keep messing with it manually like I have been for the past year. Now with the colder weather, I didn't want to have to turn down the heat after getting to the desired temp. Well the next morning, I started getting this burning plastic rubber electrical smell straight out of the vents. I figured maybe it was a car in front of me so I tried to ignore it. Sure enough every time I turned on the climate control (hot or cold), there it was. After 3 days of this causing headaches and when my wife finally took a ride with me, she agreed it smelled very bad. I called my local dealership and they said I would have to get an appointment with "an adviser". I said sure, whatever... when is the next available "adviser"? January 28 LOL I said okay lets call Chrysler Customer Assistance at their 8009921997 number. Told them about it and they said they would call me back. I get a call from another dealer about 30 minutes away who said they can take a look at it. I said I need a loaner to which they replied theirs were all out and I can get one Friday. Since I didn't feel right driving my 5 year old around in a vehicle smelling like its about burst into flames anytime I turned on the climate system, I said as much. They said to check with Chrysler about rental reimbursement. It sounded like a good plan. Get the rental, return it after my car was fixed (I was leaning towards a blower fan about to die based on the forum posts on here and other FCA posts). I drop the car off on a Monday night since they said they can look Tuesday. Tuesday they said they looked at it and cannot find any issues with it. They said they drove it around, turned on the climate and could not get any bad smell to show up. I stop by late on Tuesday and its not smelling anymore when I warmed it up. It was too late to return the rental so I drop it back to Enterprise on Wednesday. Still no smell from my car which I am happy about. I am not trying out that Auto feature anymore because I like my GC and really don't want it going back in for another service appointment. I go to do the reimbursement and they (Chrysler Customer Assistance) said I am missing my work order when they looked it up at the dealership. I explained to them exactly what happened with the dealer and they say its not possible to get reimbursement without something actually being replaced, like a part I guess. I asked to speak with the case manager but they refused to put me in touch with them. Now I am out $140. But whats really bothering me is what caused this burning smell. If it was just me, it wouldn't bother me so much but I got my 5 year old that I drive to school every day. If this happens again, I want to be more prepared with next steps. I had used the heater full blast last Feb thru April and again in September through the other week and never had a bad smell. The only thing I did different was use the Auto and left it set at 70.

So has anyone else ever experienced this burning smell intermittently only to have it permanently go away without any intervention?

Thanks in advance for any tips of advice.

P.S. Some words of advice... never plan to do a rental reimbursement with Chrysler Customer Assistance if you are not sure something will be replaced in your vehicle. That dealer service work order is a requirement in the workflow. No way around it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the root cause is FOT accelerations well past the speed limit. When limiting myself to around 60ish, the burning smell does not return. I guess it’s better for my engines longevity to not push it so hard anyways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts