Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the GC limited X come standard with a hitch? I do not see a hitch option on the Jeep website.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
Factory Tow is not an option for the Limited X. You can add an OEM hitch receiver and wiring, but that doesn't give you the same capacities as Factory Towing. If you need to actually tow anything beyond a very basic utility trailer, you should choose a trim level that offers Factory Towing.

·
Registered
2019 Limted X
16 Posts
Does the GC limited X come standard with a hitch? I do not see a hitch option on the Jeep website.
FYI. I've asked the dealer for a quote to add the factory tow package to the Limited X, they said $1,200 for parts + installation. They said the labor time for the wiring is the biggest portion of the cost.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
FYI. I've asked the dealer for a quote to add the factory tow package to the Limited X, they said $1,200 for parts + installation. They said the labor time for the wiring is the biggest portion of the cost.
They cannot add the "Factory Tow" to the vehicle...it's not just a hitch receiver and wiring. Factory tow also includes things in suspension, cooling and electrical; the specifics vary with the trim level and engine choice. If the dealer tells you anything differently, they are not being honest with you. They can certainly add the hitch receiver and wiring, but you will not have the same capacity to tow as you would if you had selected a trim level that offers the full Factory Towing option, again from the factory.

Jeep chose to no longer offer Factory Towing on the Laredo based vehicles mid-MY18 and extended things to some Limited based vehicles in MY19.

·
Registered
2019 Limted X
16 Posts
They cannot add the "Factory Tow" to the vehicle...it's not just a hitch receiver and wiring. Factory tow also includes things in suspension, cooling and electrical; the specifics vary with the trim level and engine choice. If the dealer tells you anything differently, they are not being honest with you. They can certainly add the hitch receiver and wiring, but you will not have the same capacity to tow as you would if you had selected a trim level that offers the full Factory Towing option, again from the factory.

Jeep chose to no longer offer Factory Towing on the Laredo based vehicles mid-MY18 and extended things to some Limited based vehicles in MY19.
Thanks for the info. So this applies to all Limited X vehicles including the 5.7 v8?
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised the dealer would “misinform” me... it’s hard to find good help these days. Not that I was planning on towing 7,000 lbs, but a small boat would have been nice...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not that I was planning on towing 7,000 lbs, but a small boat would have been nice...
My new Limited purchased on 4 October did not come with a Tow Package. But when I registered the VIN on the Jeep Owners Site the next day it listed:
Max Towing
6200 lb (2812.27 kg)

That may or may not be true...but even if it is only 3500 lb. I would not be afraid to pull a 16 ft. fishing boat with it. I would not try a camper but I believe a fishing boat would be safe. I went ahead and had the dealer add the receiver and wiring harness last week. Took the tech a little more than 5 hours total to put it on with about 3/5ths of the time being running the wiring harness and making the connections to the Power Distribution Center. The dealer's numbers he added in when we were dickering were: Harness $325, Receiver $262, Labor $495 = $1082

·
Registered
2019 Limted X
16 Posts
My new Limited purchased on 4 October did not come with a Tow Package. But when I registered the VIN on the Jeep Owners Site the next day it listed:
Max Towing
6200 lb (2812.27 kg)

That may or may not be true...but even if it is only 3500 lb. I would not be afraid to pull a 16 ft. fishing boat with it. I would not try a camper but I believe a fishing boat would be safe. I went ahead and had the dealer add the receiver and wiring harness last week. Took the tech a little more than 5 hours total to put it on with about 3/5ths of the time being running the wiring harness and making the connections to the Power Distribution Center. The dealer's numbers he added in when we were dickering were: Harness $325, Receiver $262, Labor $495 = $1082
Thanks for the info. I’ll have to check what it says on my Jeep Owners page when I’m home later.
Edit:
The digital owners manual lists 5,000 lbs for the 5.7 with the standard cooling package, 7,200 lbs for the 5.7 with the HD cooling package. 82CFB083-75C0-4EC1-B0DC-420BBB97A59C.jpeg

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,793 Posts
The Tow Prep Package is a lot more than the Tow Hitch and Wiring, upgraded engine cooling, full sized spare, higher capacity alternator, etc, etc.... All equipment you need to protect the vehicle for the stress of towing the max capacity tow load... ...

The O.M. will state how much you can tow without the Tow Prep Package, it will be less than the Max Tow Capacity....

The Mopar Accessories Class IV Tow Hitch and Tow Wiring Harness are the same as factory items installed at the factory, but remember the Tow Prep Package is much, much more than just the Tow Hitch and wiring, you can not tow at the full rated capacity of the Tow Prep Package because you don't have it....

I installed mine for $270 in a single afternoon, and I got a copy of FCADiag to enable the wiring, to avoid any visit to the Dealer, so up to you if want to pay the Dealer an extra $930.....

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
Thanks for the info. So this applies to all Limited X vehicles including the 5.7 v8?
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised the dealer would “misinform” me... it’s hard to find good help these days. Not that I was planning on towing 7,000 lbs, but a small boat would have been nice...
You'll be fine with a small boat. You'll not be fine with a big travel trailer.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
The Mopar Accessories Class IV Tow Hitch and Tow Wiring Harness are the same as factory items installed at the factory
This is no longer true for Laredo and some Limited based vehicles...they don't have the factory installed harness that makes installation "plug and play". A special harness has to be installed. and someone recently posted that another electrical component had to be switched out to allow for the wiring to be activated. The Hitch Receiver itself, is, of course, the same.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,793 Posts
This is no longer true for Laredo and some Limited based vehicles...they don't have the factory installed harness that makes installation "plug and play". A special harness has to be installed. and someone recently posted that another electrical component had to be switched out to allow for the wiring to be activated. The Hitch Receiver itself, is, of course, the same.
That is why I mentioned the Mopar Accessory Wiring Harness and included its price in the Overall price of $270.... ...but yes, there is an distinction....

...and that price of $270 assumes you bargain shop between multiple sources and not just walk into your local dealer parts department and order the parts from them, with no price comparisons, it will be considerably more expensive purchasing that way...

...If someone already has the wire harness pre-installed, they don't need the Mopar Accessory Wire Harness Kit, they just need the 4/7 Pin connector that snaps into the Hitch, that can be found for $40, so reduce that cost to $240 if this is the case...

...and none of the wiring harness's are plug and play (installed later or come from the factory pre-installed but the vehicle is not equipped with the Factory Tow Prep Package), because they are deliberately disabled to force you into the Dealership to pay them to enable it... ...but now that there is FCADiag, you can purchase it for less than the visit to the Dealer and do it yourself, plus have the tool for other things in the future....

The only difference between the factory installed Tow Hitch and Mopar Accessory Class IV Tow Hitch, is that you have to cut out the opening in the plastic fascia by hand, while I'm sure the factory using one that is machine stamped out... ..this is a meaningless difference, because both use a plastic bezel that is clipped over the opening to give a much cleaner, integrated appearance... ...so if your hand cutting job is ugly, it makes no difference at all, its covered up by the bezel...

The Mopar Accessory Wire Harness Kit will install the wiring segment into the existing harness, just like the factory, it is the "functional" equivalent... ...but there are differences some of them meaningless... ....it will be secured under the car with tie-ties, while the factory harness has has the segment already wrapped and routed with other wire segments... ...this is only an appearance difference... ....the factory harness is machined assembled and spliced, you will have to hand assemble the contacts in connectors and hand splice the one parallel splice... ...in this case, if you do a slopping job, and don't use the right tools, etc... ...these slopping connections and splices over time can fail and circuits will open or short, while the factory harness likely will never have a problem for decades...

..and finally, as we've just learned, some of the later V6 base models, 2014 and later where they switched from a TIPM to a PDC with a BCM inside the cabin, some of these V6 base models have a different PDC for the Tow Wire Harness, so Mopar Accessory Tow Wiring Kit for these vehicles should include a new PDC, which likely will raise the price of the kit... ...my guess, the kit will be cheaper than buying the PDC to use with another kit you might find on eBay, so make sure you understand what you need and comparison shop prices before buying... ...if you jump on a kit at a great price on eBay that has wiring but not the PDC, you may be shocked at the price of PDC's all by themselves (they are a almost never ordered item, not available in the aftermarket, which makes them much more expensive in the Dealers Parts system)....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,793 Posts
BTW, since I got some bum info, and didn't climb under my 2011 Laredo and checked, I purchased a Mopar Accessory Wiring Harness Kit off eBay for $75... ...only to find out, that I did have the wiring pre-installed and didn't need it... ...since I still needed the 4/7 pin connector that was in the kit, and I didn't see them for less than $40, usually much more, from any source, I just grabbed the one part I needed out of the kit.... ....I got the Mopar Accessory Class IV Hitch Kit for $195 new off eBay... ...so I lost $30 buying wiring I didn't need.... ...I still made out nearly $1000 cheaper than if I just pulled into the Dealer and told them to install the hitch and wiring for me....

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
...and none of the wiring harness's are plug and play (installed later or come from the factory pre-installed but the vehicle is not equipped with the Factory Tow Prep Package), because they are deliberately disabled to force you into the Dealership to pay them to enable it..
I meant "physically" plug and play, but excellent addition about the need for the sales code to be added by a dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts