Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Grand Cherokee and my radio will randomly shut down sometimes while I’m driving or there are times that everything will freeze until I can manually power it down (which takes multiple attempts each time). Anyone else having a similar issue? I don’t know if this is a short circuit or system reboot. Any suggestions on how to correct the issue?

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you are still under warranty I would drive straight to the service writer's booth while it was happening and not turn off the engine until they witness the problem and generate you a written work order with your "concern". I have a '19 Limited and fortunately have not had any problems. However I did have intermittent problems with my '20 RAM truck and had to do exactly what I described before they would acknowledge the problem and start digging. Took them a few days but they finally fixed it.

·
Registered
20 TrailHawk
62 Posts
2020 GCTH, purchased new on April 2020, had some random issues like you explained.
only 4-5 times up until Xmas when I mentioned it to the dealer during an oil change visit, they ordered a new one
now fast forward to the current situation, I'm on radio #3 in the vehicle and its still doing it.
Opened up a case with Jeep Cares (they are on this forum) they say there is a likely update out for these problems at the end of Q2 which "may" cure these problems.
and also in touch with service manager of the dealer who is escalating this to the Jeep technical services group who will weigh in on it when its at the dealer next week.
I took a video of one such event and had to pull over to reset it, this was 2 weeks after the 3rd one was installed, this happened while i was backing up, screen turned blue and unit was frozen.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Hi everyone-- we hear your concerns! Just know that if you're ever working with one of our certified dealers and would like additional support, our @JeepCares team is always here! Just reach out to us via private messages and we'd be more than happy to help.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2019 Jeep GC Limited X 5.7
7 Posts
Hi everyone-- we hear your concerns! Just know that if you're ever working with one of our certified dealers and would like additional support, our @JeepCares team is always here! Just reach out to us via private messages and we'd be more than happy to help.

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I’ve only had problems too. Random resets and electrical issues up and down. This radio situations sucks. You can’t control the car when the radio blanks out. And now my new radio issue is that it won’t play my Sirius xm anymore. It started by not allowing me to change stations in Sirius and then not allow me to use the volume and now I can’t even select it. I’m down to FM AM. Really terrible quality. Never again. And bc my car is out of warranty I’d have to pay. Ridiculous a car radio shouldn’t crap out in 2 years no matter the miles. I’m sick of dumping money in this car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve only had problems too. Random resets and electrical issues up and down. This radio situations sucks. You can’t control the car when the radio blanks out. And now my new radio issue is that it won’t play my Sirius xm anymore. It started by not allowing me to change stations in Sirius and then not allow me to use the volume and now I can’t even select it. I’m down to FM AM. Really terrible quality. Never again. And bc my car is out of warranty I’d have to pay. Ridiculous a car radio shouldn’t crap out in 2 years no matter the miles. I’m sick of dumping money in this car.
and in addition to these ailments. I just had to drop $725 to fix a short that caused the gas gauge to not function. I mean… I had an X5 that was 12 years old and all I had to do was change the tires and brakes (and oil). Thought I was making an upgrade going to something newer. Money pit.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
and in addition to these ailments. I just had to drop $725 to fix a short that caused the gas gauge to not function. I mean… I had an X5 that was 12 years old and all I had to do was change the tires and brakes (and oil). Thought I was making an upgrade going to something newer. Money pit.
We're disheartened to hear about your overall experience and can certainly look into this further for you if you're interested in our support. If so, please send us a private message with your VIN and a photo of your Uconnect system information so we can get started.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey All, I had an issue of no FM/AM service you would hear static in Tampa. XM worked perfect, Bluetooth worked perfect. After replacing antennas and radio turned out to be in a wiring harness behind radio. Radio was triggering codes since was not getting enough amperage

·
Registered
7 Posts
We're disheartened to hear about your overall experience and can certainly look into this further for you if you're interested in our support. If so, please send us a private message with your VIN and a photo of your Uconnect system information so we can get started.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I appreciate this and will keep it in mind. But after reading and following so many posts where people have had multiple units replaced and still have the same issues I have to think this is an endless road. It may be faulty electrical engineering or hopefully just faulty software engineering in which I hope an update can fix. For the updates, do they download automatically or do they need to be downloaded at the dealer or manually? Truthfully more of my concern is the fact I’ve had to fix so many mechanical issues such as the starter, water pump, and gas gauge all of which have run me into serious $$ and the car is just a 2019.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I appreciate this and will keep it in mind. But after reading and following so many posts where people have had multiple units replaced and still have the same issues I have to think this is an endless road. It may be faulty electrical engineering or hopefully just faulty software engineering in which I hope an update can fix. For the updates, do they download automatically or do they need to be downloaded at the dealer or manually? Truthfully more of my concern is the fact I’ve had to fix so many mechanical issues such as the starter, water pump, and gas gauge all of which have run me into serious $$ and the car is just a 2019.
You might look into getting a MaxCare extended warranty if it is still under 36 mo/36k miles. That way, all you would have to pay is a $100 for any covered repair. I bought the lifetime version (no longer offered) for my 2018 GC. It has been mostly trouble-free so far but as I read these daily reports of problems I am glad I have it if/when something happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I JUST purchased my Manufacturer Certified Pre-Owned 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (under 23K miles) less than a month ago and have since been searching every possible solution to this exact (original post) problem. This whole thread and the many others across the internet have me very discouraged and wishing I'd known about this before I purchased this vehicle. Everything else has been great, but I've only had it since December 30, 2021 - just over two weeks. Today I drove only 17 miles and the entire UConnect control system shut off and rebooted on its own with no warning and for no apparent reason 10 times before I could get home. This happens almost every time I drive the vehicle. Sometimes it only happens 2 or 3 times, others - like today- less than a minute between shutdowns repeatedly and for the duration of the trip. I've contacted two dealerships since it's still under warranty, but neither can see me until middle of next week and will need to keep the vehicle at least 2 days to run full diagnostics. I have a road trip in less than a week, so that's not something I can do right now, but the thought of this happening the entire 10 hours I'm driving, being unable to use my GPS, radio, adjust air/heat, or anything else that's electronic is dreary. I'm wondering now if I made a mistake buying a Jeep. If anyone has been given any direction on where to go with issues like these, please share. I've had, and still have, a (gasoline) Volkswagen, with 211,000 miles on it and have not had the first electrical issue and only normal and relatively minor mechanical repairs in the last few years. I was considering a 4WD Volkswagen SUV for that reason, but I went with what I thought would be a more adventure-ready and off-road savvy vehicle. Sounds like this issue may be never-ending according to these forums and the like. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
New Jeep owner with possible early onset buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I JUST purchased my Manufacturer Certified Pre-Owned 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (under 23K miles) less than a month ago and have since been searching every possible solution to this exact (original post) problem. This whole thread and the many others across the internet have me very discouraged and wishing I'd known about this before I purchased this vehicle. Everything else has been great, but I've only had it since December 30, 2021 - just over two weeks. Today I drove only 17 miles and the entire UConnect control system shut off and rebooted on its own with no warning and for no apparent reason 10 times before I could get home. This happens almost every time I drive the vehicle. Sometimes it only happens 2 or 3 times, others - like today- less than a minute between shutdowns repeatedly and for the duration of the trip. I've contacted two dealerships since it's still under warranty, but neither can see me until middle of next week and will need to keep the vehicle at least 2 days to run full diagnostics. I have a road trip in less than a week, so that's not something I can do right now, but the thought of this happening the entire 10 hours I'm driving, being unable to use my GPS, radio, adjust air/heat, or anything else that's electronic is dreary. I'm wondering now if I made a mistake buying a Jeep. If anyone has been given any direction on where to go with issues like these, please share. I've had, and still have, a (gasoline) Volkswagen, with 211,000 miles on it and have not had the first electrical issue and only normal and relatively minor mechanical repairs in the last few years. I was considering a 4WD Volkswagen SUV for that reason, but I went with what I thought would be a more adventure-ready and off-road savvy vehicle. Sounds like this issue may be never-ending according to these forums and the like. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
New Jeep owner with possible early onset buyer's remorse.
Just wondering if you found a solution? Looking to purchase and want to know if 2022 technology has issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Courtney
Jeep Cares
How do I send you a PM? I see no way to send one. I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, purchased new, I picked it off the lot actually. We have had only 1 issue since, excessive oil consumption, we purchas3d it from a dealer a long way away, it was on a spur of the moment thing. Anyway, I had to drive there 4 times tohave 6hem check oil and verify the consumption, they said it did have excessive consumption. But I was scared to have them change motors, they are never the same after,and then they just repalce with another of the same, so whats the point? So i told them to just see what happens, and hoped it could get better. I do my own maintenance. I am a mechanic. So, anyway, I got a card in the mail from FCA, saying we needed to bring in the Jeep for a W20 or W30, forget which, PCM patch to change vacuum on deceleration, a band aid basically to help oil consumption. the dealer I bought from is gone. The closest to me is very close, but I refuse to use them based on many personal and friends bad experiences. But I have anxiety and panic disorder, so I finally took it to them to do the recall.

They were right on time, about 45 min, said I was ready to go. They were supposed to check oil and top it off.I remined them 2 times, It was a qt low when I took it in, had 3600 miles since last change. Was getting up to 4700 before, originally only 1100 per qt at first, so it had been doing better.

I get home, they had NOT added oil. So I went ahead and changed the oil myself. Now to the main point(sorry, just wanted to share history of the Jeep) My wife drives this as it is the newest vehicle. The next day she come home from work and says the radio switched from FM to AM by itself. We had NEVER had any other issues before taking this to the other dealer I mentioned for this recall.

Then, today, she comes home and tells me this time the whole thing shut down and then came back on by itself.

I do not believe in coincidence, and this dealer has a long history. I think they did something to the radio. What are the odds that it would start acting up the day after they messed with it???

I am really upset. I am not a FCA fan, I like the style of almost all their stuff, but the quality is not there. but the original dealer, in fact, the owner of the dealership actually made me the offer on the Jeep, and I could not refuse. So i bought it. I like the vehicle, it is solid, seems well built, no rattles, drives great. And my wife likes it, so I was willing to work with the oil consumption thing, but now that this radio issue had just sudenly appeared, I am upset and scared. We have the 'base' model, we do not use the Uconnect, serious radio(not sure if it even has), only the regular radio.

The nest closest dealer is 45 min away. I am scared to drive there, but I did call them, and they have a better reputation, but are so backed up, it would have been 3 weeks to get it in, so that was why i went to the other dealer in the first place. Anyway, thanks for your patience with my long message. What should I do? It has only messed up 2 times so far, just about 10 days apart, but I doubt it is done yet. She drives it to work, I cant just drive to a dealer 45 min away after she gets home, when the thing has come back on. What do I do? Thanks for your help.
David

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
How do I send you a PM? I see no way to send one. I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, purchased new, I picked it off the lot actually. We have had only 1 issue since, excessive oil consumption, we purchas3d it from a dealer a long way away, it was on a spur of the moment thing. Anyway, I had to drive there 4 times tohave 6hem check oil and verify the consumption, they said it did have excessive consumption. But I was scared to have them change motors, they are never the same after,and then they just repalce with another of the same, so whats the point? So i told them to just see what happens, and hoped it could get better. I do my own maintenance. I am a mechanic. So, anyway, I got a card in the mail from FCA, saying we needed to bring in the Jeep for a W20 or W30, forget which, PCM patch to change vacuum on deceleration, a band aid basically to help oil consumption. the dealer I bought from is gone. The closest to me is very close, but I refuse to use them based on many personal and friends bad experiences. But I have anxiety and panic disorder, so I finally took it to them to do the recall.

They were right on time, about 45 min, said I was ready to go. They were supposed to check oil and top it off.I remined them 2 times, It was a qt low when I took it in, had 3600 miles since last change. Was getting up to 4700 before, originally only 1100 per qt at first, so it had been doing better.

I get home, they had NOT added oil. So I went ahead and changed the oil myself. Now to the main point(sorry, just wanted to share history of the Jeep) My wife drives this as it is the newest vehicle. The next day she come home from work and says the radio switched from FM to AM by itself. We had NEVER had any other issues before taking this to the other dealer I mentioned for this recall.

Then, today, she comes home and tells me this time the whole thing shut down and then came back on by itself.

I do not believe in coincidence, and this dealer has a long history. I think they did something to the radio. What are the odds that it would start acting up the day after they messed with it???

I am really upset. I am not a FCA fan, I like the style of almost all their stuff, but the quality is not there. but the original dealer, in fact, the owner of the dealership actually made me the offer on the Jeep, and I could not refuse. So i bought it. I like the vehicle, it is solid, seems well built, no rattles, drives great. And my wife likes it, so I was willing to work with the oil consumption thing, but now that this radio issue had just sudenly appeared, I am upset and scared. We have the 'base' model, we do not use the Uconnect, serious radio(not sure if it even has), only the regular radio.

The nest closest dealer is 45 min away. I am scared to drive there, but I did call them, and they have a better reputation, but are so backed up, it would have been 3 weeks to get it in, so that was why i went to the other dealer in the first place. Anyway, thanks for your patience with my long message. What should I do? It has only messed up 2 times so far, just about 10 days apart, but I doubt it is done yet. She drives it to work, I cant just drive to a dealer 45 min away after she gets home, when the thing has come back on. What do I do? Thanks for your help.
David
Hi David.
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this! If you'd like to send us a private message with your VIN, we'd be happy to look into this further. To send a PM, hover our user name and click 'message' or visit our profile and select 'Start a Conversation.'

Sarah
Jeep Cares

Reactions: nek121328
1 - 16 of 16 Posts