Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

How can the engine rev and that revving is not being indicated by the tachometer?
Are you sure its the engine rpms increasing and not the transmission slipping or something?

Anyhow if the engine rpm is indeed increasing out of nowhere i think you're on the right track regarding a vacuum leak some where.
If this is the case first visually check all vacuum hoses for rotted rubber, loose hose clamps, disconnected, etc.
The throttle body gasket would be the next thing to preferrably replace but first make sure its bolts are not loosened.

There are DIY ways for checking vacuum leaks some of them potentially dangerous so i won't go into them here.
The best and safest way to find a vacuum leak is with a smoke test which can be done at a shop or with a DIY smoke kit.

Of course there are other things that can cause this like sensors, etc. but always eliminate the easiest things first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased a used 2019 Jeep Compass limited 4x4 and there’s a high revving that occurs when driving normal at any speed but the RPM gauge doesn’t jump. Any suggestions? I believe it may be the throttle body.
Next time it happens try turning off Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and see if that makes the revving sound go away. If it does the sound is coming from somewhere in the drive line, and I believe the dealer will tell you that it's "normal". Note: turning off ESC doesn't fix anything, it only help to show that it's a drive line sound.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next time it happens try turning off Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and see if that makes the revving sound go away. If it does the sound is coming from somewhere in the drive line, and I believe the dealer will tell you that it's "normal". Note: turning off ESC doesn't fix anything, it only help to show that it's a drive line sound.
View attachment 243608
Could it because it’s a 4WD?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts