Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2019, used, from a Jeep dealer in Louisiana. 19,000 miles. Looked in great shape, drives really nice. I put $10.5k down.
The problem is, when I got the vehicle back to my house my wife asks why the passenger side "Grand" emblem is coming off. I take a look and start to see evidence of a re-paint job down the entire right side. The emblem is literally taking the paint off the car. The closer I look I start to see cracks and flakes missing near the door handle, the edges. Passenger door weather stripping has paint and I found painters tape still in the recess of the door. All the rubber around the back right window shows paint. Aren't the panels and doors painted at the factory "then" the car is put together?
The right front tire is a different brand than the other 3. The other 3 are Michelin. The right front is Goodyear. The right front wheel has scuff marks showing someone ran against something.
I know I am supposed to vet the car out before buying since it is a used car, but these things were missed.
The car fax, which was given to me immediately when I started looking at the car showed no accidents, and this was told to me several times by the sales person at Jeep.
However, the paint is obviously done after, and the accident was not reported by the dealer.
I have called several times since and even sent pictures to the dealer. The sales guy has been trying to get the sales manager to call me, but the manager has not. It has been 2 days.

1. What recourse do I have?
Am I stuck with this car since I bought it used off their lot and it is my responsibility to do my homework? Or does the dealership have some responsibility?
Please give me your thoughts.

My biggest concern is, if this was repaired under the radar, then how can I trust the safety systems will function properly when needed?

2. Is this car still under the 3 yr./36k miles Bumper to Bumper warranty? If so, could I bring it into my local Jeep dealer and have them look at it or inspect it to ensure the safety systems will function, calibrated correctly, sensors working? Would anything they find be covered under the Bumper to Bumper.

3. Thank you for your thoughts on this, anything you share is going to help point me in the right direction.

Thank you...

·
Registered
48 Posts
First of all, accident damage is not covered under warranty. Most states have a 3 day period to terminate a contract. Don't know how long it has been since you purchased the vehicle. The Carfax has a disclaimer that it can only report what was reported to them. Chances are that the dealer you purchased it from had the repairs done without reporting it. The different tire is a big problem with the AWD/4WD. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to talk to you, so my advice to you is consult with a lawyer. The dealer employs professionals that can immediately spot body repairs, so if they told you that it was accident free vehicle, they lied to you. Does the State of LA require safety inspection prior to a sale of a vehicle? If so it should never have passed with a different tire. I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information. This will help me to speak with the dealer with some knowledge as to what games are being played.
I am waiting for his call back, after he texted me his number and said he would call at a specific time.

I will be bringing the vehicle to my local Jeep dealer to have it inspected for damage
Are there any codes that can be pulled from the on board CPU that would tell if the vehicle was in an accident?
I want to have the safety sensors verified also, is this possible at the Jeep dealer?

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
72 Posts
This Jeep was probably in an accident and repaired poorly by the previous owner without an insurance claim. They then traded it in to get out from under it. This is why it has a clean car fax. Weather or not your dealer saw the poor repair before they sold it to you will be hard to prove, however, a reputable dealer should take it back and refund you the purchase price. You should always carefully inspect any vehicle prior to purchase, even brand new ones as defects can be present even on new cars.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, it is an authorized Jeep Dealer that sold me the car. So I am hoping when I speak to the sales manager he is reputable and will take the car back or lower the price considerably to reflect the loss of value due to the accident. I would rather return the vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
626 Posts
It can take months for CarFax to report an accident. This happened to me once. I bought a vehicle used with a clean CarFax, but when I went to trade it in the dealers didn't want to give me full value because of an accident showing on CarFax. One of the dealers printed the report for me and it showed an accident from approximately 3 months before I bought it. Luckily for me the repairs were done very well and you could not tell it had ever happened. In your case, this dealer is being incredibly shady. Authorized Jeep dealer or not, they are only as good as the people who are running them. The fact that the sales manager hasn't called you back tells me they know they did something wrong and do not want to deal with it. If I was in your shoes I would drive back there, I know its 1.5 hours away but that's a small price to pay to get this right. I would ask them to please take the car back and if they refused I would let them know that you will be getting a lawyer involved. In this situation I would not be happy with money off of the deal, I would want nothing less than a full refund. At that point do not ever do business with that dealer again. Another thing you could consider doing is calling a local news station and tell them your situation. They may do a story on it which could motivate the dealer to do the right thing for you.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,639 Posts
If the sales manager won't call you back call or go see the owner or general manager. I would tend to think the sales manager doesn't have the authority to refund your money anyway and it would have to go higher so if he won't talk to you take it higher yourself.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am bringing the car into my local Jeep dealer collision center this morning to have them inspect the car. I understand my investigation into this should have been done before I bought it, I will possibly end up eating this. I certainly do not know my rights or what is expected for dealerships to not swindle used car buyers.
That said, the authorized Jeep dealer employs professionals who know cars, they do this everyday for a living. I am an electrical engineer and can tell you things about Utility Power poles I see just by looking at them. Things the general public would not see or understand. I believe their team can do the same easily with a pre-damaged vehicle. I am certain if I were trying to sell them this car, they would have easily within seconds told me it was in an previous accident, repaired, and has less value. I believe I was railroaded away from the signs I found once I got the car home and noticed the emblem was coming off. Then I started doing more investigation and closer looking.
I have also noticed the back right wheel fender (plastic) is aged and shows signs of sun damage, my finger nail leaves a white scratch in the plastic and the plastic is faded. Not like the other 3 on the vehicle. This tells me this part was probably replaced from an older (pull a part) vehicle.
My biggest fear is finding out the car has been in an accident, and repaired under the radar:
  • I lose the Bumper to Bumper or any other warranties
  • Does the safety systems still work?
  • What kind of defects are going to surface in the future?
I literally bought this car for my son as a college vehicle, with the safety systems being top priority. It is bigger than most cars in its class, has great safety points, good air bag design, those things. As in, this vehicle better take one for the team if something bad happens.

The dealer sold the car while explaining all the warranties it still had and tried to sell me the extended warranty from APC. What a mess, certainly learning what I already knew. Never trust cars salesmen, however, life tries to teach you people can be good. I am re-learning this is not true. Or at least, to not be taken, you have to treat these guys all as if they are trying to rob you...Ugh...
Thank you for replying and giving me your knowledge on this situation. You guys have helped guide my decisions this far.

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland
215 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience and hope it all works out.
FWIW, not all paint work is the result of accident damage and not all accident damage is of equal concern. A scratch down the side could result in extensive paint work even though no parts were replaced and with metallic colors and today's two stage paint, blending new with old paint on a given panel is no longer practical so entire panels are painted. Damage to one side panel often results in painting the adjoining panels to assure color match. Done properly all trim, mirrors, weather stripping, door handles etc are removed so no need to mask them off and the existing paint can be properly sanded in all the nooks and crannies around those parts.
The mismatched RF tire is a red flag. Could mean the previous owner had a front end collision or ran off the road and hit something hard. Compare the tread depth of that tire to the rest of them. Look for new suspension parts, front bumper and under the hood for paintwork and replaced parts, and whether the wheels are properly aligned or pulls to one side when braking. Some drivers have sketchy driving records or opt for insurance policies with $1,000 collision deductibles and if a minor accident occurs just pay out of pocket and don't file a claim (ergo no Car Fax). They may then seek out the lowest repair estimate which cuts corners to keep repair costs low.
It's possible the only problem is the paintwork which can be redone (hopefully at dealer cost) plus new badges/wheel trim as needed and you'll have a great vehicle.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had my local Jeep dealer go over the car. The Body Shop department easily saw defects in the passenger doors paint, some bondo that was used, mid-aligned lines in the doors, waves in the metal, overspray on rubber that should have easily been removed before the work was done, pitting in the paint, paint that was not sanded or coated properly, all sorts of stuff I was not seeing. This proved to me a dealer would have seen these defects as well.

So I spoke to the dealer manager where I bought it. He wants me to bring it in so their body guy can “make it right.” And also assures me the previous work does NOT void any Bumper to Bumper or other Jeep warranties. I find that hard to believe.
My local dealer told me the previous work definitely voids the warranty, which makes since. Who wants to warranty some jack rabbit repairs they did not make? Ugh...

What can or should I get in writing From the original dealer if I keep this vehicle? Or should I work to get a full refund and get away from it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The dealer providing you a warranty letter is worthless if there is a warranty claim to the manufacturer. The dealer may honor warranty if that dealer does the warranty work. If you take the vehicle to another dealer and they suspect the defective part was replaced with aftermarket part or is due to an accident, they will not cover it. Point is they sold you a vehicle under fraudulent pretenses. If I were in your position, I would talk to a lawyer and see what your options are. All the folks on these forums, including myself, can provide you with their ideas of what you should do, but are not familiar with the laws in your state.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer providing you a warranty letter is worthless if there is a warranty claim to the manufacturer. The dealer may honor warranty if that dealer does the warranty work. If you take the vehicle to another dealer and they suspect the defective part was replaced with aftermarket part or is due to an accident, they will not cover it. Point is they sold you a vehicle under fraudulent pretenses. If I were in your position, I would talk to a lawyer and see what your options are. All the folks on these forums, including myself, can provide you with their ideas of what you should do, but are not familiar with the laws in your state.
Understood, Thank you, I will try to get a full return and refund, then go from there. Louisiana does not seem to have good protection laws for this type of thing. As in, I am probably on the hook for not noticing all of this before the sale. Ugh, hopefully the dealer takes it back. I am not too confident about that.
Dang, this is our 3rd Jeep GC, we love them, everything has been good until now.

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland
215 Posts
Any chance it was a certified preowned vehicle? Shouldn't void the warranty on mechanical, electrical, emission, exhaust etc but may void rust, paint & bodywork.
You can try to get a refund but if that doesn't work see if they will give you the full purchase price on a trade-in. If not try to get the mechanical warranty in writing, allow them to repair it properly and provide you with some sort of warranty on the body work they did, usually a year on materials and workmanship.
Assuming the repairs are acceptable your son can use the car for college and then let him keep it or trade it off when he graduates. My daughters drove a 2002 Grand Cherokee at college and though a perfect vehicle for that, they do tend to get used a bit hard, suffer a lot of wear and tear and natural depreciation so maybe the fact that it has had prior repairs is less of an issue four years from now.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7
40 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Kortoga. My thoughts align with yours in regards to what other hidden damage and to what extent there may be.

I also like Mancerator's comments about trying to either get a full refund on the GC or at least a full credit towards another vehicle they have. Since they won't be losing any money, they may be more willing to go the credit route. I'd be very reluctant to deal with them under any circumstance but I think having a stable, reliable vehicle is paramount.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
39 Posts
Doesn’t Carfax have a warranty or guarantee? You might want to contact them and ask why the report was incorrect and what their options are to resolve it.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I just purchased a 2019, used, from a Jeep dealer in Louisiana. 19,000 miles. Looked in great shape, drives really nice. I put $10.5k down.
The problem is, when I got the vehicle back to my house my wife asks why the passenger side "Grand" emblem is coming off. I take a look and start to see evidence of a re-paint job down the entire right side. The emblem is literally taking the paint off the car. The closer I look I start to see cracks and flakes missing near the door handle, the edges. Passenger door weather stripping has paint and I found painters tape still in the recess of the door. All the rubber around the back right window shows paint. Aren't the panels and doors painted at the factory "then" the car is put together?
The right front tire is a different brand than the other 3. The other 3 are Michelin. The right front is Goodyear. The right front wheel has scuff marks showing someone ran against something.
I know I am supposed to vet the car out before buying since it is a used car, but these things were missed.
The car fax, which was given to me immediately when I started looking at the car showed no accidents, and this was told to me several times by the sales person at Jeep.
However, the paint is obviously done after, and the accident was not reported by the dealer.
I have called several times since and even sent pictures to the dealer. The sales guy has been trying to get the sales manager to call me, but the manager has not. It has been 2 days.

1. What recourse do I have?
Am I stuck with this car since I bought it used off their lot and it is my responsibility to do my homework? Or does the dealership have some responsibility?
Please give me your thoughts.

My biggest concern is, if this was repaired under the radar, then how can I trust the safety systems will function properly when needed?

2. Is this car still under the 3 yr./36k miles Bumper to Bumper warranty? If so, could I bring it into my local Jeep dealer and have them look at it or inspect it to ensure the safety systems will function, calibrated correctly, sensors working? Would anything they find be covered under the Bumper to Bumper.

3. Thank you for your thoughts on this, anything you share is going to help point me in the right direction.

Thank you...
Have you contacted Chrysler Customer Care. I would be on the phone to them before I did anything else. Contact the State of Louisiana Attorney Generals Office I do believe that they have a Consumer affairs office.https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrWnS5.FsheOBgAWQ8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--/RV=2/RE=1590200063/RO=10/RU=http://www.ag.state.la.us//RK=2/RS=edNmnkm96rf1kvnbRSpa3eaAEg8- Also contact the local news media, I don't think this car dealership would want a news camera anywhere near their business if they're as bad as you describe. Good Luck

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car fax warranty means nothing.
If the state DMVs gave them the wrong info, then they will warranty the info and “buy” the vehicle from you.
I doubt that ever plays out.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
75 Posts
You want to see what legal action you have, r/legaladvice on reddit might help you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts