Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Quadra-Drive II
2014 Limited
741 Posts
Carfax is one of the biggest hoaxes on the planet....its only as accurate as someone reports....I believe most accidents go unreported. I would research Louisiana law to see what recourse if any that you have. The least you could do is report them to the Better Business Bureau....if the dealer doesn't want to help then tell them that you are reporting them and see if they are willing to help then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let them know you don’t feel safe driving this car since it was improperly repaired before. You have no way of knowing what underlying damages are still hidden.
Stand by this. You purchased an almost new vehicle, and shopped reputable dealer not to get one like this. Yes they knew about the repairs becore they sold it to you.

That being said. Warranty should be good but not for the elements affected by previous accidents and repairs associated with them.
Be sure if they find some issue not being easily diagnosable they will blame it on the accident and send you on your way.

Than the reduced value.
I say you should demand a refund.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI
23 Posts
I just purchased a 2019, used, from a Jeep dealer in Louisiana. 19,000 miles. Looked in great shape, drives really nice. I put $10.5k down.
The problem is, when I got the vehicle back to my house my wife asks why the passenger side "Grand" emblem is coming off. I take a look and start to see evidence of a re-paint job down the entire right side. The emblem is literally taking the paint off the car. The closer I look I start to see cracks and flakes missing near the door handle, the edges. Passenger door weather stripping has paint and I found painters tape still in the recess of the door. All the rubber around the back right window shows paint. Aren't the panels and doors painted at the factory "then" the car is put together?
The right front tire is a different brand than the other 3. The other 3 are Michelin. The right front is Goodyear. The right front wheel has scuff marks showing someone ran against something.
I know I am supposed to vet the car out before buying since it is a used car, but these things were missed.
The car fax, which was given to me immediately when I started looking at the car showed no accidents, and this was told to me several times by the sales person at Jeep.
However, the paint is obviously done after, and the accident was not reported by the dealer.
I have called several times since and even sent pictures to the dealer. The sales guy has been trying to get the sales manager to call me, but the manager has not. It has been 2 days.

1. What recourse do I have?
Am I stuck with this car since I bought it used off their lot and it is my responsibility to do my homework? Or does the dealership have some responsibility?
Please give me your thoughts.

My biggest concern is, if this was repaired under the radar, then how can I trust the safety systems will function properly when needed?

2. Is this car still under the 3 yr./36k miles Bumper to Bumper warranty? If so, could I bring it into my local Jeep dealer and have them look at it or inspect it to ensure the safety systems will function, calibrated correctly, sensors working? Would anything they find be covered under the Bumper to Bumper.

3. Thank you for your thoughts on this, anything you share is going to help point me in the right direction.

I would also like to have dealer pull any codes or see if codes were cleared by the dealer. That happened to me that warning light came in soon after purchasing vehicle. I was able to prove dealer had cleared codes to temporarily solve the issue. They ended up fixing.
not Really surprised that happened in Louisiana. Bought a Nissan Xterra in Louisiana and turned out it had also been wrecked and reputable dealer still sold it to me. I had to get a lawyer to write a letter threatening to sue and they took the vehicle back
Thank you...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don’t have a lot to offer in regards to getting them to buy it back, but I am a professional auto body technician at a high quality shop owned by a family owned Jeep dealer. We take pride in our work and always follow factory recommended repair procedures. Sadly, the same cannot usually be said for a lot of dealer body shops. Firstly, if the problems with the body work are as bad as you say, I would do everything possible to get them to take back the vehicle. There is absolutely no way to know how extensive or severe the damage was, and how badly it was repaired. If the finish that you see is that bad, I would be extremely suspect of any structural work that was done. Secondly, if the dealer has to bring it in for their body guy to look at it they are going to try to spend the smallest amount of money possible when fixing it. That means a lot of shortcuts will be taken that shouldn’t be. The dealer already had your money, so anything more they have to spend fixing your Jeep is lost profit, or possibly even going into the red on the vehicle. We get dealer work all the time where they tell us we have X amount of money to do the repairs. If we can’t or won’t do it for that, they’ll either sell it as is, or send it to the auction. They’ll never put so much money into it that they won’t be able to sell it for a profit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dont forget about the tire. I had a flat on one of my tires that was not repairable. Tires had less than 50% tread depth left. The dealer would not sell me one tire. They stated the difference in size between mine and used could lead to damage of the AWD system.

Since this is a Jeep Dealer, I think the chances are that they are on the hook for this one. As stated by others, if they do not refund the vehicle or give you credit towards another used vehicle, talk to the Manufacturer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased a 2019, used, from a Jeep dealer in Louisiana. 19,000 miles. Looked in great shape, drives really nice. I put $10.5k down.
The problem is, when I got the vehicle back to my house my wife asks why the passenger side "Grand" emblem is coming off. I take a look and start to see evidence of a re-paint job down the entire right side. The emblem is literally taking the paint off the car. The closer I look I start to see cracks and flakes missing near the door handle, the edges. Passenger door weather stripping has paint and I found painters tape still in the recess of the door. All the rubber around the back right window shows paint. Aren't the panels and doors painted at the factory "then" the car is put together?
The right front tire is a different brand than the other 3. The other 3 are Michelin. The right front is Goodyear. The right front wheel has scuff marks showing someone ran against something.
I know I am supposed to vet the car out before buying since it is a used car, but these things were missed.
The car fax, which was given to me immediately when I started looking at the car showed no accidents, and this was told to me several times by the sales person at Jeep.
However, the paint is obviously done after, and the accident was not reported by the dealer.
I have called several times since and even sent pictures to the dealer. The sales guy has been trying to get the sales manager to call me, but the manager has not. It has been 2 days.

1. What recourse do I have?
Am I stuck with this car since I bought it used off their lot and it is my responsibility to do my homework? Or does the dealership have some responsibility?
Please give me your thoughts.

My biggest concern is, if this was repaired under the radar, then how can I trust the safety systems will function properly when needed?

2. Is this car still under the 3 yr./36k miles Bumper to Bumper warranty? If so, could I bring it into my local Jeep dealer and have them look at it or inspect it to ensure the safety systems will function, calibrated correctly, sensors working? Would anything they find be covered under the Bumper to Bumper.

3. Thank you for your thoughts on this, anything you share is going to help point me in the right direction.

Thank you...
no doupt i would show mileage when bought from dealer than take pictures and video ,car could have been hit on the lot before your purchase.Unreal that they could not even have a pro paint this jeep to find tape ect i would bring it back .

21 - 28 of 28 Posts