Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching the threads, owners manual and calling three different dealerships, I've confused the hell out of myself. So basically I just want to know what is the best thing to do for my new '19 Grand Cherokee V6 in regards to first oil change. I'm a Marine away from home and my wife has been driving it basically around town. It now has 4500k give or take and we got it back in March brand new when I was home. Oil life is showing 39% as of this am she tells me. I will be home in a week and we're planning a 1000k road trip so I would feel better changing the oil in it before we head out. Reading about how a new engine needing to break in etc. and to change the oil sooner than later due to metal pieces from new engine parts possibly doing damage AND to wait until AFTER first oil change to use a "fully synthetic" oil has got me paranoid as hell. This is my first new "Jeep" after all.

So all of you Grand Cherokee V6 owners/experts out there, what are your recommendations for the type and exact brand name of oil should I be using? Pennzoil? Mobil 1? Manual mentions Pennzoil. Fully synthetic or blended? Pennzoil Gold, Ultra or Ultra Premium? I want to be sure all is good in case of problems so I can show receipt to dealer just in case down the road I did the right thing. OR...just take it to the dealer to handle it and spend twice as much just to let some kid do a half ass job?

Appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Any oil of the correct viscosity and meets FCA standards as outlined in the owners manual is fine. The Jeep does not come with a special break in oil and as long as you follow the procedures in the manual, you should be fine.

That said, although it was unnecessary, I switched to full synthetic after the first 1,000 miles simply because my other two vehicles require it and it was easier to buy it all in bulk.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,018 Posts
Semper Fi,
You don't need to have the Dealer change the oil, although this is one of the few service jobs they offer at reasonable rates and will keep the records for you. If you have an independent shop do it, keep the invoices and receipts, you need that for the Warranty.

The Owner's Manual will have the recommended oil and viscosity in it. As well as the correct viscosity, and API certification to which standard, it also has to meet Chrysler Spec MS-6395.

Just about every gasoline engine oil on the store shelf is going to be API certified for the SN standard. Most are also going to have the Chrysler Spec MS-6395, but not all. You have to read the fine print on the bottle. Some of the Synthetics like Mobil1 haven't gotten the MS-6395 spec (its kinda bogus, Chrysler specifies a PITA multi-season test, so a few manufacturer say screw it, weren't not going to do it.... Pennzoil has the MS-6395 spec.....

The V6 has this weird thing about viscosity where they recommend 0W-20 in the O.M. but some years they've recommended 5W-20 and the FSM states 5W-30 is perfectly suitable as well..... ....0W-20 makes me a little nervous, but it is what the O.M. recommends, double check your O.M. (you can download one at the Jeep Website) cause it may have changed for your M/Y. BUT, if I was going to use 0W-20, I'd only use synthetic in that viscosity, in fact, I doubt you can find that viscosity in anything but Synthetic.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Reading about how a new engine needing to break in etc. and to change the oil sooner than later due to metal pieces from new engine parts possibly doing damage AND to wait until AFTER first oil change to use a "fully synthetic" oil has got me paranoid as hell.
What viscosity does it say to use in your owner's manual? With my 2018 V6 it calls for 0W-20. I could not find that in anything except synthetic and that's what the dealer has been putting in under the free Jeep Wave oil change program. I suspect it came from the factory with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any oil of the correct viscosity and meets FCA standards as outlined in the owners manual is fine. The Jeep does not come with a special break in oil and as long as you follow the procedures in the manual, you should be fine.

That said, although it was unnecessary, I switched to full synthetic after the first 1,000 miles simply because my other two vehicles require it and it was easier to buy it all in bulk.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Semper Fi,
You don't need to have the Dealer change the oil, although this is one of the few service jobs they offer at reasonable rates and will keep the records for you. If you have an independent shop do it, keep the invoices and receipts, you need that for the Warranty.

The Owner's Manual will have the recommended oil and viscosity in it. As well as the correct viscosity, and API certification to which standard, it also has to meet Chrysler Spec MS-6395.

Just about every gasoline engine oil on the store shelf is going to be API certified for the SN standard. Most are also going to have the Chrysler Spec MS-6395, but not all. You have to read the fine print on the bottle. Some of the Synthetics like Mobil1 haven't gotten the MS-6395 spec (its kinda bogus, Chrysler specifies a PITA multi-season test, so a few manufacturer say screw it, weren't not going to do it.... Pennzoil has the MS-6395 spec.....

The V6 has this weird thing about viscosity where they recommend 0W-20 in the O.M. but some years they've recommended 5W-20 and the FSM states 5W-30 is perfectly suitable as well..... ....0W-20 makes me a little nervous, but it is what the O.M. recommends, double check your O.M. (you can download one at the Jeep Website) cause it may have changed for your M/Y. BUT, if I was going to use 0W-20, I'd only use synthetic in that viscosity, in fact, I doubt you can find that viscosity in anything but Synthetic.....

Semper Fi! Appreciate your input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What viscosity does it say to use in your owner's manual? With my 2018 V6 it calls for 0W-20. I could not find that in anything except synthetic and that's what the dealer has been putting in under the free Jeep Wave oil change program. I suspect it came from the factory with synthetic oil.
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
10 Posts
k2, didn't your JGC come with Jeep wave - 4 free oil/filter changes in the first two years? If not, then I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. I've been running it in my 2014 JGC V6, my 2019 Hemi Trailhawk, and the wife's 2012 300 (at least while it was under warranty - mobil 1 now).

But I would check with the selling dealer - you may be entitled to the oil changes (and tire rotations). HTH

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
Penzoil Platinum and a Mopar filter. Both are cheap at Walmart. Run it until it the monitor says to change. 39% is plenty for a 1,000 mile trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k2, didn't your JGC come with Jeep wave - 4 free oil/filter changes in the first two years? If not, then I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. I've been running it in my 2014 JGC V6, my 2019 Hemi Trailhawk, and the wife's 2012 300 (at least while it was under warranty - mobil 1 now).

But I would check with the selling dealer - you may be entitled to the oil changes (and tire rotations). HTH
No mine did not come with the wave oil change deal as it is "just" a lowly Laredo but highly optioned Laredo. Had my wife look at our contract and call the dealer this AM..thanks for the suggestion Delta!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
264 Posts
This whole thread seems to be a lot of overthinking. Use the viscosity in your owners manual and if you can't get OEM parts then get a reputable company or what you can afford. These things aren't race cars.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Any brand name oil will do and I use 5W-30. That 0W-20 thin stuff is to keep up the average fleet gas mileage. Many dealers use their bulk 5W-30 hose on the V6's.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
Any brand name oil will do and I use 5W-30. That 0W-20 thin stuff is to keep up the average fleet gas mileage. Many dealers use their bulk 5W-30 hose on the V6's.
If OP cares at all about their powertrain warranty that statement is untrue. The oil must meet MS-6395 specification for the warranty if you have any lubricated part warranty claims. After the warranty period you can use whatever you'd like. Seeing that this is a 2019 with <5k they have a while to go.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If OP cares at all about their powertrain warranty that statement is untrue. The oil must meet MS-6395 specification for the warranty if you have any lubricated part warranty claims. After the warranty period you can use whatever you'd like. Seeing that this is a 2019 with <5k they have a while to go.
To add to that, even if an oil that meets the MS-6395 certification is used but a viscosity is used other than what is recommended in the owner's manual it can be grounds for denying a powertrain warranty claim. It specifically says the following in the warranty guide, Section 3.3:

Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing
damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor
do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated
fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or
fluids other than those recommended in your Owner’s
Manual.

·
Registered
Overland
127 Posts
Personally, I use the semi-syn. Changed every 5K miles. I am at 190,000 on my 2014 and it doesnt use a drop between changes. 60.00 is cheap at the dealer for the oil change and good rapport building.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This whole thread seems to be a lot of overthinking. Use the viscosity in your owners manual and if you can't get OEM parts then get a reputable company or what you can afford. These things aren't race cars.
I think you're right! ) Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To add to that, even if an oil that meets the MS-6395 certification is used but a viscosity is used other than what is recommended in the owner's manual it can be grounds for denying a powertrain warranty claim. It specifically says the following in the warranty guide, Section 3.3:

Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing
damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor
do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated
fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or
fluids other than those recommended in your Owner’s
Manual.

Appreciate your feedback Roadi!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,018 Posts
Personally, I use the semi-syn. Changed every 5K miles. I am at 190,000 on my 2014 and it doesnt use a drop between changes. 60.00 is cheap at the dealer for the oil change and good rapport building.
What is Semi-Syn?
There is Group III Synthetic that uses crude oil that is hydro-cracked in a synthesizing process to tailor a molecule.
There is Group IV Synthetic that use pure gases to synthesize an engineered lubricating molecule.
There is Synthetic Blend that is a blend of Synthetic and Conventional Oil.

But none of them are called Semi-Synthetic? Is Semi-Syn some brand name I haven't heard of?
If its one of the three types of products on the market that use synthetic in their name, that aren't called Semi-Syn, you can understand how I am confused...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,018 Posts
If your vehicle is in warranty and you do NOT want them to deny a repair under warranty because you failed to follow the stipulations for fluids to be used, then you need to follow those stipulations.

All these recommendations of what someone uses or the interval they use is real nice and all; but many of them just take the O.P. off the path of preserving his warranty....

If you want to preserve the Warranty, open your O.M. and read what it stipulates you need to use for oil, the filter and when you should change it. My lengthy post that is post #3 explains the stipulations they'll mention in the O.M. and how to make sure the oil you purchase meets those stipulations.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts