Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,812 Posts
Personal prejudice regarding oil changes: Mobil 1 full synthetic viscosity as specified on your oil filler cap. Change oil and filter every 5K miles without fail. Forget what the electronics say, unless they say change before 5K. I popped the right side valve cover to change out a cam follower at 128K miles on my 2011 3.6, and everything looks new, clean, and pretty, with no wear to be found. I use the same oil in my Pontiac Vibe GT with the Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ motor. No visible wear at 196K miles, and that little engine revs to 8200 (yikes!) rpm.
Mobil1 Full Synthetic does not meet FCA spec MS-6395. I mentioned it earlier, and in the case of this one spec its bogus, because FCA requires a PITA multi-season test be done to claim it meets the spec, so the manufacturers have said screw it for a few of their products, Mobil1 Full Synthetic is one. Actually, Mobil1 conventional oil do claim MS-6395, its just the Synthetic products that don't. So if you use Mobil1 Synthetic and make a warranty claim, there is grounds for denying the warranty because the oil you used did not meet specs recommended in the O.M.

I do use Mobil1 Full Synthetic in my Jeep and have in all my vehicles for years, I'm not disagreeing its great oil, perhaps the best on the store shelves, BUT regardless if the MS-6395 spec is bogus or not, it simply puts your warranty at risk. My Jeep is NOT in warranty, if it was I would use an oil that is MS-6395 spec.

The listing on the oil cap can be wrong, in the WK2 V6's particularly, but every brand model has had it happen. There's an O.M. in your glove box, or you can download it from the Jeep website, its smart to open it and confirm the recommended oil viscosity.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
263 Posts
I would love to see a dealer send off an oil sample to a 3rd party company to determine if the oil met OE requirements and if not deny a warranty claim. You guys are crazy ha.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,812 Posts
I would love to see a dealer send off an oil sample to a 3rd party company to determine if the oil met OE requirements and if not deny a warranty claim. You guys are crazy ha.
The Dealer just has to ask for your Records of doing the recommended servicing, so he doesn't need an oil sample when all the receipts in your records show it was Mobil1 Full Synthetic Oil........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
After searching the threads, owners manual and calling three different dealerships, I've confused the hell out of myself. So basically I just want to know what is the best thing to do for my new '19 Grand Cherokee V6 in regards to first oil change. I'm a Marine away from home and my wife has been driving it basically around town. It now has 4500k give or take and we got it back in March brand new when I was home. Oil life is showing 39% as of this am she tells me. I will be home in a week and we're planning a 1000k road trip so I would feel better changing the oil in it before we head out. Reading about how a new engine needing to break in etc. and to change the oil sooner than later due to metal pieces from new engine parts possibly doing damage AND to wait until AFTER first oil change to use a "fully synthetic" oil has got me paranoid as hell. This is my first new "Jeep" after all.

So all of you Grand Cherokee V6 owners/experts out there, what are your recommendations for the type and exact brand name of oil should I be using? Pennzoil? Mobil 1? Manual mentions Pennzoil. Fully synthetic or blended? Pennzoil Gold, Ultra or Ultra Premium? I want to be sure all is good in case of problems so I can show receipt to dealer just in case down the road I did the right thing. OR...just take it to the dealer to handle it and spend twice as much just to let some kid do a half ass job?

Appreciate your feedback!

*UPDATE 11-17 I received more than enough information about my inquiry and I now consider my issue resolved. I wanted to thank every one of you for your contributions that responded, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I can't delete this thread as apparently according to a moderator once you make one, it has to remain for future reference.

·
Registered
2011 WK2 Laredo and 2015 WK2 Laredo
21 Posts
Indeed, you are correct about Mobil 1 full synthetic not being an MS 6395
oil. Thank you for correcting me. My apologies to all, and I therefore
change my wording to "a name brand full synthetic MS6395 listed oil, change
interval 5K miles or less....". I do think Mobil 1 was what saved the 2.5
turbo motor in my '89 Daytona CS when we ran the last 60 miles from Vegas
to Phoenix (in July) with the needle pegged hot and a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,199 Posts
It appears Castrol also meets the spec. Wally World was out of Penzoil 5W-20 and my EVIC has been squawking about an oil change so I grabbed a jug of Castrol Extended and it looks like that will do the trick for the next 7500 miles or so.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,812 Posts
Valvoline Synthetic meets MS-6395, when Wallyworld is out of Mobil1 in my viscosity, that is what I grab.... I'm out of warranty, that is why I use Mobil1, if I was in warranty, I would be using one of the three listed as meeting MS-6395...

·
Registered
2019 WK2
8 Posts
After searching the threads, owners manual and calling three different dealerships, I've confused the hell out of myself. So basically I just want to know what is the best thing to do for my new '19 Grand Cherokee V6 in regards to first oil change. I'm a Marine away from home and my wife has been driving it basically around town. It now has 4500k give or take and we got it back in March brand new when I was home. Oil life is showing 39% as of this am she tells me. I will be home in a week and we're planning a 1000k road trip so I would feel better changing the oil in it before we head out. Reading about how a new engine needing to break in etc. and to change the oil sooner than later due to metal pieces from new engine parts possibly doing damage AND to wait until AFTER first oil change to use a "fully synthetic" oil has got me paranoid as hell. This is my first new "Jeep" after all.

So all of you Grand Cherokee V6 owners/experts out there, what are your recommendations for the type and exact brand name of oil should I be using? Pennzoil? Mobil 1? Manual mentions Pennzoil. Fully synthetic or blended? Pennzoil Gold, Ultra or Ultra Premium? I want to be sure all is good in case of problems so I can show receipt to dealer just in case down the road I did the right thing. OR...just take it to the dealer to handle it and spend twice as much just to let some kid do a half ass job?

Appreciate your feedback!
Sounds like you got it figured out. How you liking your WK2?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts